Bontrager Big Earl Saddle

• Clipped ear design
  • Rails: Hollow CroMoly

[Oct 30, 2012]
Terry

Strength:

Looks

Weight, size, not built for sitting on to uncomfy on the seat bones....

Looks good, 1st 10 minutes feels ok then my seat bones get sore and I can feel the blood getting cut off so not designed for sitting on only looking at. We are way out of the dark ages why are uncomfortable saddles even being made???
Hard to get behind for those steep tec decents.
I`m 170 lbs 5'11 and my seat bones are about 13cm apart from each other.

The distance of your seat bones should part of the saddles mesurements, along with the width & lenght of the saddle its self....

[Apr 05, 2011]
dklopp
Downhiller

Strength:

It is fairly comfortable

It broke in the worst way possible on a seat only landing. The seat rails broke through the leather top and impaled me - resulting in me nearly bleeding out on the trail. It took 25 staples, 7 stitches, 4+ hours of cardiovascular and urological surgery, 4 days in the hospital, 3 months on blood thinners, 2 weeks with a blood filter, and over a hundred thousand dollars in medical bills are the result of the seat rails breaking through to the top.

This seat is not designed well at all. The mounts for the rails are tiny. The rails are designed to come out so you can replace them - this means they are also less secure in the case of a crash. I got in contact with Trek about it and they basically said "We are sorry for your misfortune" and cut off communication - even though I said I wasn't looking to sue. I tried to warn them about a problem with their product, but they ignored it. I am never going to buy anything from Trek, Bontrager, Fisher, etc ever again. Horrible product and they ignored my warning about its possible danger to other - completely unacceptable of any company.

Here is a link to the pictures (I hope MTBR will allow it):

Too many to list: SDG Ibeam stuff, transition seats, wtb seats, chromag seats, etc

[Sep 15, 2007]
nat

Strength:

Looks great
Durability (whenever i flip my bike over to fix something it never tears)
soft (for me)

Not a great jump saddle

Its a great saddle if you spend most of your time out of your seat standing up. But if you sit down a lot you should go get something softer

[Nov 16, 2006]
zack nancekiuell

Strength:

doesnt break
looks good

the worst if u have to ride more then 15 min to get somewhere (uncomfertable)

good, but could b comfertable

stock gt seats, norco seats, velo seats, big earl jump, other 1's

[Jul 21, 2006]
The Guy Above
Downhiller

Strength:

Everything I said above...looks cool and is comfy

I BROKE IT.

Yes, today I had a crash and people wanted me to go to the ER...just to give you an idea of what kinda crash...anyway, the seat seperated from the rails.

I love it and wana get it again...it was a bad crash so I really can't blame Bontrager.

But, given that it is meant to withstand insane stuff as it's an Earl, I can only give it 4 chillies.

Other comfy Bontragers...Selle San Marco ERA...WTB

[May 14, 2007]
bob

this is by far the least comfortable saddle I have ever owned!!!

Saddles are meant to be sat on...go with WTB for style, comfort & durability.

various WTB, Specialized