Avocet O2 Air 40 Kevlar Saddle

• Tough kevlar cover
  • Various colors

• User Reviews (18)

Warwick Jolly   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2006]
    Strength:

Good texture. Looks cool.

Isn't. Uncomfortable edges. Rails have bent. Just hurts.

Comfortable for 5 minutes. Novelty wears off after that. AS I said, rails bent. Just a lousy shape.

Similar Products Used: Selle San Marco Era. Selle Italia cheapie. Much better saddles.
    Chris   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2007]
    Strength:

If it fits you, you'll never buy another brand

Yellow cover looked great for first few months, but gets dirty.

Choosing a saddle is a very personal choice, like choosing a spouse. I have 2 Avocet O2R's, a WTB, and a Specialized, and want to buy a 3rd Avocet. (too many bikes in the basement...) Other saddles are too squishy for me, and the Specialized is like sitting on the edge of a desk - sharp cutoff!

I am a 170# male roadie, and ride long distances on my Avocet. If the nose of the saddle is too high, I go numb, so I tip it just a little below level. If I ride my rollers for an hour, I'll still go numb, but out on the road where I am shifting around and standing occasionally, numbness is rarely a problem.

Avoid the yellow saddle as it looks bad when worn.

Vincent Purdie   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2001]
    Strength:

Nice yellow/blue color, lightweight, flexible ti-rails,
    thick/thin where it needs to be.

Watercolor-inspired graphics: rub off with water/friction after one ride! (okay so sue me..i'm into a logo freak! For this much green, they should be sewn on!!)

This is a great seat for someone wanting an upgrade they can feel immediately! I ran the Yellow/black version for a few years and it was great. The good vibrations (or lack of them!) continue with my latest Avocet O2 Air 40 race. It does a good job of taking the sting out of my cross country/trailriding..enough padding to make me feel good, but still stiff and race-inspired to make me feel like more than a weekend warrior. The titanium rails are flexible enough that I can ride right over smaller hits without the "butt-cheek scrunch" reflex that a hardtail can give ya. Maybe a little to stiff or hard for some riders; my Air 40R has slightly squared-off edges across the top. It can get to be a little invasive on long trail pilgrimages...but then again to be fair it IS advertised as a racing saddle.

Detract 1 Flamin' one for the ink-stamp graphics.

Similar Products Used: Avocet Air, Cannondale Team seat
    Flightless Bird Penguin   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2000]
    Strength:

Lightweight, saddle shape.

Poorer overall construction and quality of materials than comparably-priced saddles.

Snapped the titianium railes in two when I landed on the seat after a small jump. I am 150 lbs, and the saddle was only 6 months old. The seat fell off the post entirely. The leather is wears easily when you ride in wet weather. Other saddles it's price and cheaper offer better quality and durable materials. If you pay $80 to $90 on the Ti/Kevlar model, it's too overpriced. I also owned a cromoly model and that got bent after a crash.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia Flite and Flite Gel.
    Wayne   Weekend Warrior [Dec 30, 2000]
    Strength:

Avocet gives you 30 days to ride and decide. I can send it back and get a refund!

The graphics are cheap stickers that are already falling off when the saddle is new. The saddle made me so numb after only 30 minutes into the first ride that it had to come off the bike.

This thing is HORRID! The first 30 minute ride I ended up standing half off the time just to get some blood flow back into the nether regions. I thought maybe I had it tilted too far forward, backward, something. I have slid it forward, backward and tilted it every which way.... it just never gets right. I guess it may just be the shape of my backside, but I can't imagine anyone actually fiting one of these. If you think you might want one, ride one FIRST!
    Two chilis because Avocet will buy it back!
    Maybe Selle Italia next......

Similar Products Used: SDG, Serfas, Selle San Marcos, WTB, etc........
    Ken   Weekend Warrior [Aug 12, 2000]
    Strength:

Relatively well made. Pretty comfortable.

Weight. Numbness problems.

While this seat basically rides pretty comfortably, when sitting in the saddle for long uphill stretches, I would eventually wind up with seriously numb gonads. Either the weight advertised on this saddle is baloney, or the others I've picked up are well under their advertised weights. Holding this saddle in one hand and a Selle Italia Flite Trans Am in the other, the difference is obvious. The Selle is way lighter though its advertised catalog weight indicates it is supposed to be 35g heavier. Go figure!?! I'm 6'0" and only 130 lbs--a skinny butt for sure. But I'd love to find a saddle that doesn't make me numb.

Similar Products Used: older avocets, Selle Italia Flite Trans Am
    Jay   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2000]
    Strength:

Light
    Durable
    Nice looking

Uncomfortable on epic rides
    Catches my short

I have had this seat on my bike for almost two years. I find it uncomfortable some of the time and acceptable some of the time. Why do I keep it on? I am too cheap to buy a new saddle. Stupid? Probably!

It fits some guys (and gals) very well, but I am not that tail. It is a decent saddle but it does not work well for me. Just too tiny and hard. That air on the butt thing is kinda a marketing ploy in my mind. Kind of expensive retail but you can find it on sale quite often (www.chucksbikes.com has it for $35). A lot of people love it, but I am not that wild about it.

Similar Products Used: All kinds of seats
    rib-eye   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2000]
    Strength:

weight, appearance

Stick on decals started to come off within a couple of weeks. Would expect more durability from a $95 seat.

Tried this saddle primarily because of the manufacturer's 30 day fit guarantee. Rode it approx. 20 times during the month hoping would break it and be more comfortable. Never reached an acceptable level of comfort. By the time I returned it, most of the side decals had come off making it look like it had much more use that it actually had.