WTB Momentum Headset

Caged ball bearings with grease guard™ lube system. O-ring sealed heat treated 6061 aluminum cups. Threadless, 1 1/8" Colors: Black, Silver 150g

O. Emry   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2010]
Strength:

Simple, well-engineered, and greaseguard function makes overhauls almost extinct.

Uses relatively small 5/32" ball bearings. Did not ship with assembly instructions (but it's not that complicated, guys).

I'm a bit surprised at some of the reviews below. If you can't install the headset correctly or you don't have a compatible grease gun, you're not going to be very happy with it.

You *must* install the inner black seals correctly (they really only fit one way) or the grease won't flow through the bearings correctly. You *must* have a grease gun with a flush mount (conical) tip. (Dualco makes some cheap hand-held bulk loading models that work great.)

The orange O-rings aren't for preload; they're seals. Install and adjust the headset normally, pump in grease, *then* slip the O-rings into their seats. When you want to purge the lube, slide the O-rings out, pump in grease, wipe off the excess, and then re-install the O-rings.

Attention weight weenies: I've seen this thing advertised at 250g, and another reviewer below made the same claim. If anyone actually bothered to weigh one, they'd see it's only 152g, which is reasonable for a durable and inexpensive part. Yes, you can spend more money and get a lightweight headset. Don't let me stop you.

The only bad thing I can say is that it uses relatively small 5/32" ball bearings, and larger bearings make stronger headsets, period. If you really abuse your bike, there are probably stronger headsets on the market that are a better fit for you. I'll have a better idea after this one gets some more miles on it.

I give it 4 chilis for the small balls, and will follow up later. It gets 5 over all because it was really affordable.

dubdryver   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2010]
Strength:

Great concept, probably pretty durable.

Preload ring far from the greatest made. Tank-heavy, lower cup is hideous to look at.

The concept of this headset is great! It has potential, but I just do not think my bike was the right application. The biggest problem I have had is working the preload ring to not be too tight or too loose. I got it close, but it is definitely not smooth.

One large problem with this concept headset is that I have yet to find the right type of grease fitting to properly use the zerk fittings on the headset. The needle type does not work, nor does the standard grease fitting. This wasn't the biggest dilema for me though.

The third drawback..and I don't want to sound like some Weight weenie and cry about this, but the thing is pretty hefty, like 250g! My handlebars and stem practically weigh the same as this! All the little things that are drawbacks to this headset, made me think it was a poor purchasing decision. If you want a good cheap light headset, go with the Race Face Deus ($40 at Pricepoint). I have had one on my Blur Classic for close to 3 years now, and only 2 services, not bad at all. It weighs close to 100g, very easy to set the preload, yah you might service one time a year, but thats not bad for the headset. Otherwise go with Chris King or Hope and forget about it.

Similar Products Used: Chris King, Race Face Deus XC, Cane Creek
vertwerks   Cross Country Rider [Feb 06, 2010]
Strength:

Grease port

Heavy

This HS lasted ten years through a couple different frames. I injected grease every couple rides and cleaned regreased it annually. Finally the races grooved but I totally felt I got my money's worth. The orange o-rings would occasionally dislocate but sliding back into the groove took two seconds.

Similar Products Used: King, Hope, Woodman, Cane Creek, Crank Bros
alanchan   Weekend Warrior [Jan 18, 2010]
Strength:

Great

Does not look at good as my Chris King

Great headset, the build quality is nowhere near my Chris King but for half the price, hey what can I say. I used it for 5 years and it had zero issues.

Similar Products Used: Chris King, Hope, FSA Orbit (it sucks)
Drakken_11   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 2009]
Strength:

No problems EVER!

A little complicated to put back together.

This came on a Mongoose that I bought back in 2000. I had never had any problems with it. And I never serviced it. I rode that bike like a rented mule. I eventually broke the Rear Derailer Hanger (nonreplacable), so I stripped the bike for parts. I am going to put this on a Buddy Bike.
I called WTB about why it is nolonger listed on their website. The receptionist told me it had been discontinued. She informed me that if I needed parts they may have some around the shop.
It may have given some people problems but for me it did it's job faithfully. If your not a competitive biker and your not going to take it off any serious Drop-offs this is for you. Try to get it as cheap as possible; after all it is a discontinued item.

Similar Products Used: FSA Pig DH Pro
wickerman1   Weekend Warrior [Sep 09, 2009]
Strength:

Looks great works great no problems in two years of use and abuse.

No proper instructions on instalation which this headset does have extra parts others dont have.

Wow I am reading some reviews and shocked at what I am reading. Someone mentioned about O rings having a mind of their own. Assemble the headset, torque it to spec, THEN put the o rings in their proper place. Another reviewer claimed constant water and dirt getting inside. I took my fork off today to install another one, and have not greased or touched this headset since I installed it two years ago, and I live in Vancouver where rain and mud is pretty much year round. The grease in the lower race was as clean as the day I installed the headset. I think people aren't installing it properly causing these problems? mine gets 5 chilis across the board.

Similar Products Used: FSA, chris King, Cane Creek
mike_d_1583   Weekend Warrior [Feb 07, 2009]
Strength:

none that i see

Virtually impossible to set up due to the annoying O-rings, they keep sliding out of place.

Got duped into buying this crap. Need at least two people to set up. O-rings have minds of their own. The design is flawed. WTB doesn't even list ANY headsets on their website. What does that tell you. STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW, TIRES AND CRAP.