WTB Momentum Cartridge Headset

Momentum Cartridge

Our smooth-rolling, easy-to-maintain headset High-quality sealed bearings and lightweight 6061 aluminum cups Black or silver with laser engraved alloy top cap 146g

andy macdonald   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2016]
Strength:

easier to service than you think.

needs finish line Teflon grease.

to anyone still using this headset the bearings are easy to service all you have to do is remove the circlip/piece of wire from the inner sides of the bearings and you will find normal caged bearings in side all you have to do is replace with loose balls and plenty of finish line Teflon grease and I guarantee you wont have anymore problems. ive used the same one for 12 years.

JD   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Worked fine until it broke.

Lower bearings failed after 3 months.

Don't bother with sealed bearings except maybe for CK. The lower bearings obviously had dirt in them but there is no way to clean and repack.

Similar Products Used: No name OEM headsets that have lasted longer.
Danny   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2007]
Strength:

NONE

EVERYTHING

This came with my bike, Had the bike put together by a friend and could not figure out why the headset was loose, I took it to 3 shops and no one could figure it out either. I was really pissed that a brandnew headset was junk I cant even ride my bike yet. Everything was done correctly and out of a total of 7 people checking it out looking around no one saw any damage or reason for this to still be loose. So i went out and got a FSA ORBIT X Which is almost 40 grams lighter, looks stronger, and after looking around was only $20 bucks more in price cant wait to get this badboy on. At least my WTB laser seat is comfy

Similar Products Used: NONE YET
Charles   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2007]
Strength:

Looks solid. Keyword being "looks".

Bearings are junk, the way it holds together is junk, lots of popping and grinding noises, sealed bearings but the bearings arent sealed by the top race so whats the point?

This headset is the biggest piece of crap I have ever used. I have never seen a headset get worn out as fast as this one. After two rainy rides, one extremely muddy ride, about a dozen regulars, and three washdowns, this headset is almost completely shot.

The bearings are sealed, but the whole sealed-bearing assembly isnt completely sealed from the outside, so crap gets in there really easily. Also, these bearings aren't nearly as easy to replace as the Cane Creek ones.

After about 5 rides, it started making really loud popping noises when going over small stuff like roots. Took it out of th frame completely, rebuilt it, repressed it in, good for about one ride before started happening again. So i took out the bearings and realized it turned as roughly as the hubs on my 4 year old set of RhynoLites.

going back to my trusty S6's. btw, the painted stripe on this headset is an immensely ugly orange that doesnt match ANYTHING. its not red as alot of the pictures seem to show.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek S6, S2.
John   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2007]
Strength:

W.T.B. quality & durability.

None.

Of the 2 bikes I own I've tried 3 different headsets spanning Oct.1996 to Feb.2007. The W.T.B. Momentum C is by far the best as I've used it from July 2001 to Feb.2007 with a little over 9,000kms on it and no troubles at all.
Bottom Line: The best bang for your buck on your bike (headset wise).

Similar Products Used: Dia Compe & F.S.A. Orbit UF
Zachary Kurka   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2006]
Strength:

price, and reliability.

could be a little smoother. that orange band stands out and is ugly!!

This isn't the bling of headsets, but it works. This is much better than anything that Cane Creek is putting out. I really wanted a King and couldn't pony up the dough. As far as function and reliability go this is excellent bang for the buck, especially if you can get one for under $20 on ebay.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek S-6 and Aheadset SAS
jo Dungon   Downhiller [Mar 02, 2005]
Strength:

tough as, looks pimpish, no work to do,

non apart from not free

Great headset.Does what it should,well. That other cat must have ridden through a swamp.But for me 2 years of sweet steering on TWO bikes!

Similar Products Used: fsa pig,hope and oem parts
Grant   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2003]
Strength:

Sealed cartridge bearings. price

Can apparently get clogged with dirt after accidental abuse.

I have had no complaints with this part. The sealed bearings have given me consistent performance and I don't have to worry about repacking the loose bearings with grease or getting them fouled by water and dirt like with my old cheapo original aheadset.
I've only had one scare. After a really bad wreck, this headset got a knock in it. It was stiff and hung up at one point of it's travel. At the LBS, they dropped the fork out, removed some dirt and everything was cool. Back to normal.
I think this is a good, solid headset for not much money.