VP A71 Headset

• Material: Steel
  • Bearing: Caged

Bottlecap   Cross Country Rider [Nov 08, 2017]
Strength:

Inexpensive, smooth action. easy to install and service

poor seals, weak cups and weak lower cone.

I got this headset on my MTB. After just two rides I noticed grease pushing out from the lower bearing seal. I inspected after my ride and noticed the seal doesn't really seal anything. I bounces around all loose. I thought maybe it was not installed properly so I tore it down to re grease and have a look. I found that the seal is just too big and doesn't seat well any way it is installed. The lower cone on the fork already had a groove worn into it and the bearings had small metal shavings stuck to them from the cone. I only put about 16 trail miles on the bike and this is no good. I ordered a replacement and have been riding this for another 30 miles or so till the new one came. It has since started to have an off center memory that drives me nuts. I removed the cups and all to install the new FSA headset and noticed the lower cup had bent and had a small crack in it. This headset would be fine for a commuter or around the block ride, but not intended for the trails.

Similar Products Used: FSA Hammer, FSA PIG, crane creek, king, aheadset DD cup, kink, shadow
OVERALL
rufio   All Mountain Rider [Feb 17, 2012]
Strength:

Loose ball bearings on the headset means serviceability. Which I love. Easily adjusted, solid construction, inexpensive, you can install it upside-down and it still works as long as you put the compression ring on the top of the stack before installing the spacers, stem and top cap.

None.

This headset it great. A while back when I was building my first and only 2-9er this headset came with my frame and fork. I took a little bit of advice from my friends and fellow riders to replace the headset before I even began the build. They recommended the Cane Creek 40 headset. I had the Cane Creek professionally installed by my local shop and got the bike completed within the week. After about three weeks of riding the headset would loosen up every ride. I would have to stop mid-ride to tighten it up. It just wasn't working out for me. My shop warrantied the headset for me but they needed to remove it from the bike and send it back to Cane Creek. Cane Creek came though with flying colors mad props to them by the way. Anyhoo, I needed a headset in the meantime because I wanted to ride. So they installed the stock VP-A71 headset that came with my bike for me while I was waiting on the replacement.

This thing has lasted the test of time. I have ridden my bike in all conditions and it always comes through. It has stayed tight, but rolls smooth. It is a solid mainstay on my bike and I never really gave it a second though until now. Yet, isn't that what we want as riders. A product that we set and forget? Something that takes the guess work out of it's functionality so we don't have to factor that in.

Thanks VP Components for making a solid headset for my mountain bike so I can spend less time in the shop and more time on the trails getting it in.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek Aheadset, stock VP Components headsets.
OVERALL