Tange Seiki RBC-2 Headset

Seiki RBC-2

Tange Seiki RBC-2

Rich B.   Downhiller [Jun 17, 2003]
Strength:

Came with a great bike.

Try and find a replacement bearing. (Good luck!)

This is the best bike I have ever ridden but this headset is a peice of garbage. If it comes with a bicycle purchase get yourself a back-up in a hurry, and when it sound like your forks are broke or possibly your frame. Forget about it, it's just the lousy bearings they put in this hunk of junk head set.

Similar Products Used: Aheadset ($20.00 purchase so I wouldn't miss a ride)
Steve Young   Cross Country Rider [Jan 15, 2002]

Impossible to adjust (either too loose - everything rocks or too tight - binds and does not turn freely)
In wet weather got gritty fairly quickly (forever adjusting and cleaning it to try and maintain reasonable performance)

Pretty disappointing performance for a component specced on a bike that I spent 1600UKP on before upgrades.

O.K. if you just ride you bike on smooth surfaces in the dry but who wants to do that all the time. Has the advantage that it teaches you (through repeated experience) the principles which make the aheadset such a strong design (O.K. written in jest but I could strip one of these down blindfold now)

Apparently completely lacking in seals and the little loose bearings are a real pain when repacking the races (takes me back to the early nineties when I did this once a month on my first mountain bike!)

Bottom line: If you get this specced on a new bike my advice would be to pay to trade up (although I doubt the trade-in value is very much even when new). If you're thinking of buying new I wouldn't advise it.

I have just ordered a Chris King headset which I hope will mean I don't have to keep thinking about my headset. (at the price it should do). The tange headset is the first component (except for the seat) that I have replaced on the bike since initially speccing it.

SJ   Weekend Warrior [Dec 07, 2000]
Strength:

-Hasn't failed yet(..but I guarantee it WILL!!)
-Cheap

-Trashy!
-No seals
-Collects mud like a shovel!
-Feels a bit gritty--after only 3 mud rides

Why the hell does Specialized spec such a crappy headset,crank,and bottom bracket on what is otherwise a pretty respectable bike?!A headset is a important part,just like the cranks and BB are.It aggravates me to see this corporate cheapness being performed!!

The headset has NO seals whatsoever,and the bearings are CHEAP.It hasn't died on me yet,but I see it's getting more and more clogged with crap on the lower race on every ride,even after washing it out!And the steering is starting to get a little gritty..

This thing is terrible.I really wonder how it's even survived this long!!I'm replacing it and getting myself an Aheadset Tank(as strong as its namesake implies).They sell them for a mere $25 or so at DansComp.Check them out!

unfortunate victim   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2000]
Strength:

Lasted a year.

Lasted a year. The internals are weak.

Beig a receational rider, I do not really go for "high-performance" headsets so I thought Tange will do just fine for me. This work ok for one year until one day i tried to do drops and the steerer tube got "loose" luckily i am within 200 metres of my home.

Once home, i took apart the headset and realised the cup race bit into the bearing ring and cut it loose. So the headset is as good as gone unless i bother to buy bigger bearings to replace the ringed ones.

Right now, i am waiting for my Cane Creek C2. see how it goes....

word to Specialized buyers, change that stock Tange before they become nasty.

Similar Products Used: Aheadset SAS
ed   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2000]
Strength:

cheap
durable, if properly sealed

if not maintained, it will fail quickly

This is a super cheap, super basic headset. People do not realize how often an unsealed headset needs maintenance. However, if you get lizardskins headset seals you will basically never need to rebuild the headset. I used to rebuild mine every month or so, which was fine. But I have not touched it for over a year since I put the lizardskins on it and it works perfect still. I weigh 240 lbs. and ride 3-4 time a week in some pretty rough singletrack so I'm impressed with its durability. Bottom line, get some seals for it otherwise you will have to tear it apart constantly.

Matt   Weekend Warrior [Aug 20, 1999]

everything, it blows

this part sucks, fork out some money and buy something decent.

Similar Products Used: none
Jamez   [Jun 01, 2002]
Strength:

No problems.

Other people say I will get problems?

Basically this piece of crap has worked flawlessly for me for over a year of rough riding now. I have nothing else to say, it works.

Gregory Lamm   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2003]
Strength:

None that I have found yet.

I just bought the bike and was putting it through its paces when I discovered my headset was jacked up. I had not even got it on the dirt yet and was curb-hopping and getting aquainted with my new bike. I guess a bearing came out of the retainer and was rolled under forcing the bearing retainer and dust cap up and out.

Junk, if it could not handle curb-hopping how is it going to react on the single track, rock-hopping and stump-jumping. I am already looking to replace it and I have only owned the bike two weeks.