Sunline V-One Reducer Headset

Sunline V-One Reducer Headset

• Patent pending design that will not come loose under hard impacts
  • Lowest stack height for long travel forks
  • 18mm cup depth strengthens head tube

[Jun 06, 2011]
Veruckwolf

Strength:

Low profile, no slop, smooth as butter and yes only 10 minutes to instal.

None so far

Great headset! I don't understand the deal with this being hard to instal, you do need a good press to do it right... it took literally 15 minutes. I haven't tried to remove it so I can't speak on that but I can see where it would be tough if you didn't do it in the correct order. On the trail this thing rocks so I'm going to have to think that anyone having problems with it just didn't instal it correctly. It's every bit as firm and smooth as my Chris King and it won't blow off if you hit hard. I recommend this headset to anyone that needs a bad A$$ AM to DH headset they cant destroy... Just have a pro put it in if you're not mechanically inclined... Definitely 5 chillies.

Chris King, Diacomp, Ahead

[Jan 20, 2011]
RoboS

Strength:

Difficult to mount. Headset is too tight, hard to turn. Read the bottom line for all weakneses.

The wors headset ever. Turning the handlebars was hard as the heaset bearings were too tight. This did not change after 3 months of riding. Servicing the fork was also problem because everything here is press fit, so you need to hammer the fork out of the headset. Then I found that there's a play on headset, but I couldn't find where because I felt it only on big impacts. Bearings were tight as hell, so I kept searching and foud the play comes from crown race. I immediately bought Cane Creek XXCII headset and problems disappeared. I didn't even want to warranty the Sunline because it's poor concept, poor quality and I don't want to see Sunline component on my bike again.

Cane Creek XXCII, Acros Ai-25, FSA Pig DH Pro

[Jun 18, 2009]
slcrockymountainrider
Downhiller

Strength:

Looks good in the box.

Probably the worst designed headset ever known to man. I've never seen instructions that ask for emery cloth and a hammer to install a headset. I've also never seen a headset where you have to press the bearings into the actual cups. It doesn't work. Like others have mentioned, the tolerances are way too tight. I installed it, never rode it as it was already binding up and took a hammer and knocked the POS out of my bike.
The crown race is so enormous, thick and tall, I'm not certain how it could actually function on a mountain bike.

Don't buy it. 661 no longer sells this headset, or any other headset on their website. That pretty much sums it up. Sunline needs to stick with bars and stems which they do really well. Anything more complicated than that is just way over their heads right now. This never should have made it past R&D.

Cane Creek XX flush mount.

[Apr 08, 2009]
deanbling

Strength:

Absolutely NONE

The fact that this POS exists

The review below on this headset is absolutely true. LBS actually managed to install the first Sunline V 1 reducer headset but after sitting for a day it had bound so tightly that the it would barely turn. Then it was nearly impossible to remove, the only way to remove it was to completely destroy it, no joke. 3 more attempts at installation with 3 more fresh out of the package Sunline Reducers and no dice. A hammer is not a tool that should be used when installing a headset and the directions actually say you may need one! I really like the Sunline Bars, Grips and Stem on my new bike but WOW, this reducer headset is garbage! If you like to beat on your bike with a hammer and ding up your fork and headtube this headset is perfect! I bought a Chris King Devolution Headset and could not be happier with it.

Cane Creek, Chris King Devolution (worth the extra $$)

[Jan 30, 2009]
klivic
Downhiller

Strength:

absolutely none, can't fit it.

Super tight fit. Instructions are ridiculously unrealistic, talking about first doing a measure fit so that you can cut the steer tube, but you can't even fit the seat tube through the bottom bearing. Instructions actually say "Press the crown race into place on the lower bearing. You may actually hear it snap together. In most cases the fork will be supported by this interface, but do not rely on it....A small tap with a rubber mallet may be necessary to unseat the crown race from the lower bearing." You can't even get the crown race to seat onto the bearing without massive hammering!!

Don't get this unless you like to beat on things with hammers. Ahhh!!!!, I wish the bike shop would have speced what I had actually ordered which was the FSA Orbit reducer headset. They sent me this and I decided to try to make it work, big mistake! I have black rubber mallet marks all over the under side of the crown of this beautiful new Fox 36 Float. And still can't get it to fit! Didn't even make it to the top bearing and reducer collar! I got so much vindication after reading the other reviews here. Wish I would have read these earlier. Super bad experience with this headset. I racked my brain and hammered my bike way too much today! I want to call Sunline and biych them out, I was soo pissed.

[Jul 22, 2008]
philipstonier
Downhiller

Strength:

cheep reducer headset, i actually got a good deal on it becausethe shop decided it wasnt woth the $70 i think it retails for

the bearing suck and also everything else about it

I WOULD SAVE YOUR PENNIES AND BUY A CANE CREEK OR SOMTHING

please dont waiste youe money on this

i dont think there is anything else as bad

[Apr 24, 2008]
Sodak
Downhiller

Strength:

Hmm.... not sure about this one. It is a reducer headset. Super deep cup insertion.

Just too damn hard to install. The tolerances are too tight. Alot of pounding with a dead blow hammer to install. Too afraid to try to uninstall. Too alot of "persuasion" to get on. After the first ride, the headset squeezed together a little more and I had to tighten the top cap. This headset is kind of a beast, the most difficult headset I have ever, ever, ever, installed. I do not feel it is worth it for the average rider. If you have a sponsored team who fixes your rig, then go for it.

This headset is way too difficult to install, and I do not even want to think about taking it off.

Kinda spendy for the amount of work that goes into install. Everything is press fit on this headset. Press the cups in, press the bearings into the cups, bang the hell out of it to seat the bottom race. Too much work, IMO

Cane creek, FSA,

[Nov 26, 2007]
Craig

Strength:

cheap

cheap and tolerances are way to tight

Do not buy this product is you value your bike. If it does eventually fit you will never get your fork back out of your frame. I have never seen a head set with tolerances this tight. Very badly designed.

FSA orbit xtreme pro 1.5, fsa orbit xtreme pro 1 1/8