Race Face Real Seal Headset

Our time proven design uses 7075 aluminum for the cups and top race, each of which are forged, machined and guaranteed for life. For 2002, we've introduced a compression ring top race to ensure a trouble free fit between your fork and frame. This compression ring is critical for aggressive riders who use dual crown forks. Threadless Double sealed cartridge bearings with waterproof grease. Forged and CNC machined aluminum cups. 1-1/8” Colors: PC Red; Anodized Black, Red, Grey, Silver 135g

kevin gordon   Downhiller [Sep 06, 2003]
Strength:

very strong does not loosen up, sealed bearings work great.

none so far!

this is a great headset for the price. Now that i have used sealed bearings i will never go back, if u have 90$ to spend and need a good headset that will last you buy the Race Face Real Seal headset. worth the money

Similar Products Used: pig dh headset
Kevin Yee   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2003]
Strength:

Great price,looks hotter than my wife and my girlfriend combined

Crap bearing only last a year max, poor quality seals blamed

Great looks, poor bearings.
Looks great but not enough for me to reccomend to friends.
Blow me get a Chris king or Hope (UK rocks!!!!!!!!!!)

Similar Products Used: Hope enduro, other assorted crap ball bearing HS
Mike   [Jan 12, 2004]
Strength:

Looks good. Smooth.

None.

Been beating the crap out of this headset for almost a year and it's smooth as new.

Haven't had many problems with headsets over the years. Don't understand why there are so many bad reviews for headsets in general (all brands). King seems to do well in reviews. I'm sure it's a superb product, but if one reads the reviews, one notices this 'I bought a King and I'm going to tell world how smart I am for choosing it' mentality. Good for King.

Spending over thirty dollars for a headset is crazy, so I guess I'm crazy, but this thing DOES look sharp. MUCH nicer looking than a King. Of course, only a bike geek notices headsets (like me).

Hasn't loosened a bit.
Here's the deal - two cups with high quality sealed bearings pressed into the cup riding on well machined races, what's to loosen (knock on wood)? I think maybe some people have improperly installed headsets.

Warranty is excellent. RaceFace, y'know.

I'd buy again.

Similar Products Used: Tange, Cane Creek, Shimano
Stinkywiz   Weekend Warrior [Oct 30, 2003]
Strength:

She's purdy

Will not stay tight & plastic rings snap & fall off leaving internals (bearings & races) exposed to elements

Don't waste your money, get a king. I was stupid enough to think it was my frame when I had the same headset on my old 98 heckler. I thought the headtube was ovalized due to the constant loosening & creaking under hard front braking. It was not. I have a new heckler frame for a year now with the same brand (but new) headset & it has the same problems. It wasn't the fork either as I have used two forks with the same result.

Also, the plastic rings (top & bottom) are flimsy & snap. They will sit in the right place, but don't brush up against anything or crash, or they're gone; leaving large gaps for the elements to eat away at the bearings & races. This has happened on both sets I've owned.

I have had a King set I had installed on my M2 Stumpjumper in 1997 after the stock diacomp unit wore out. That set never needed ANY attention & outlasted that frame to be installed on my (now) year-old M4 Stumpjumper. Not a peep out of it, despite changing forks & plenty of abuse.

I will purchase another King unit for my Heckler as soon as I have the funds, I would have had one to begin with but they had nothing but Rasta colors in stock & I wanted the bike ready ASAP. Thats what I get.

Similar Products Used: King, diacomp, & others
Len   Cross Country Rider [Jan 06, 2004]
Strength:

Built to last

I'm not so sure the guys who gave this product bad reviews are talking about the same product, or maybe they just didn't install it correctly. I bought mine used SEVEN YEARS AGO. It's been on at least 4 of my bikes, and it's seen a lot of hard miles including a few wet winters here in BC as well of it's share of XC races. I replaced one of the bearings after approximately 5 years of hard use, other than that it's performed flawlessly. Everyone I know who has used this product has had similar experiences. An awesome, bomp-proof headset.

Similar Products Used: Too many to list
Jack Steele   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2005]
Strength:

this product has worked without problems. others reviewing this headset have gotten theirs installed incorrectly, or should try lubing it up again.

none. it isn't as fancy as some of the others, but this is the real deal. isn't that you want? something that's real? without frills? no bs ,here, in this product.

By the way, all those with loose nuts can have theirs serviced or something like that. and optimally, the real seal is meant to be lubed with the GreaseGuard system that Suntour developed many years ago (and sold the patents, etc.) Funny thing is, bike parts work best when installed at the bike store, from experienced service people, or from experienced high school students working the first job of their lives. The Real Seal is for read.
I've ridden with a set for over 4 years and it rocks. I've had no problems.

Similar Products Used: ahead set, chris king, ritchey.
Pablo   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2004]
Strength:

Race Face name

Difficult to dial in. Poor engineering or quality control.

I had some difficulty dialing in adjustment originally. I realized after some time its poor interface with the frame and stem caused scoring on my steerer tube causing me to have to rebuild the fork. Inaccurate engineering causes the stem to rotate inside and independent of the top race which causes the premature wear. Expensive Bummer. Especially since I am without my main toy during peak riding season. Am replacing it with Chris King where I should have started in the first place. I'm considering replacing the Team SL that came on my road tandem because I fear similar damage on its carbon steerer tube