FSA Pig Headset

FSA Pig Headset

FSA Pig Headset: Forged CrMo lower cup, 6061 aluminum upper. Oversized 1/4" lower ball bearings, 5/32" upper bearings. 30.0mm crown race ID, 34.0 cup OD. Includes aluminum top cap, bolt, star nut.

[Feb 01, 2013]
kustomz

Strength:

Simplistic in design with no frills to stump you on the set up. The graphics speak to exactly what you have... a big chunk of bike hardware.

If you need a tough headset that can take a beating and are not afraid of extra weight, this is the one!

[Nov 07, 2010]
danny walker

Strength:

when first used was nice and smoote , after about 2 hours of usage the baering cadge colapsed , i then went to my local bike shop to try fix and resolve this situation , they said the baerings could go in lose , after this is ran smoot , but 2 weeks later the barings colapsed and snaped .

snaped baerings

i was pleased with the smoothness of the headset but wasnt happy with the reliabilty.

cane creek

[May 12, 2010]
kona03

Strength:

Durable, looks good, affordable price

None so far

After stripping down my Kona frame and trashing all the components this headset was a great value compared to others out on the market. The headset looks extremely durable, steering is smooth with no snatching, bike shop who put my bike back together had no issues installing. The laser etched logo and FSA look great too! I would recommend this product for anyone new to mtb doing a first build or experienced riders.

Cane Creek headset which came as OEM on my Kona bike

[Aug 04, 2009]
fisher_rider05

Strength:

strong, smooth

not sealed, heavy

This is a heavy duty headset that will stand abuse. The only problem is that the bearings need to be cleaned and regreased once a year.

bontrager, quill systems

[May 30, 2008]
Alex

Strength:

Cheep! There decent large race and bearings.

not very well seeled

good afordable headset!!

[May 24, 2003]
dennisd

Strength:

Super strong
Nice finish
Deep cups
Price is right
Performs very well

Heavy
Somewhat bulky

The FSA pig was recommended to me by my bike store guy. His view was that the extra weight and bulkiness was worth it for the overall performance and stength. Can't say I disagree with him.

This headset is tough! I'm a big rider and I've destroyed a few headsets in my time, but this thing is near indestructible! Huge quarter inch bearings and deep cups make it solid up the wazoo. The front end feels tight, and the stem tracks smoothly. No problems with fit or play so far, but then installation as always, is key.

It is heavy, but if you want something strong for agressive xc riding, you can't go wrong here for the price.

[Sep 05, 2003]
matt

Strength:

cheap, strong, looks good, can be serviced (none of this sealed bearing cr@p)

some say the seals are cr@p but ive had no problems

ace headset. i have one on both my 2 bikes and my brother has one too never had a single problem. only £15
i have an £80 headset that im selling as this is better.

none, i got this and have one on all of my bikes

[Mar 21, 2006]
Todd

Strength:

Works very well for 1 day

This headset gets contaminated as soon as you take it out of the box

I'm a 210lb cross country rider.

Although I don't ride downhill, I'd have to agree with Matt's post that said, "Seals are about as good as putting paper round your headtube".

I've had two of these headsets and both got contaminated very quickly. In fact, my first headset was done so I stupidly went and got another one installed. After 1 day of riding, yes, that's right, 1 day of not very wet or muddy riding, the bottom cup was fouled and pitted. I have never had a problem with the top seal, just the bottom, and then you have a grindy headset that goes in the garbage or on your commuter (where it's been ever since). Did I mention that the same thing happend to the first headset as well...

Don't buy this headset. FSA does make some good products but this is just not it. If you want an FSA, spend the extra money and get an Orbit XLII.

Other open and sealed bearing set-ups

[Oct 10, 2005]
Chase Winslow

Strength:

Cheap Cheap Cheap! Strong as hell, very elegant, 1/4" lower bearings, deep cups, polished finish looks trick.

Umm, none.

Anyone who has trouble with this headset didn't install it right, that's all I have to say. It costs a WHOPPING $25 usd, and I have used the first Pig I bought through multiple frames over the past 2 years, and it stills works perfectly and has ZERO play. And if you do have problems, FSA has a very similar warranty to that of Chris King, and you don't have to spend over a $100 dollars to get it. The Steelset will only fit if you ream the headtube of your frame, which is retarded, and costs way too much. The Pig performs just like it's competitor's more expensive headsets, at a fraction of the cost, plain and simple. I like the Pig's so much, I bought two more for my other bikes.

FSA Pig DH, Cane Creek Double-X, Aheadset, Chris King Steelset, Cane Creek Tank, Woodman Saturn 1.5.

[Feb 12, 2003]
Wayne
Downhiller

Strength:

Strong large lower cup, 1/4'' bearings, burly.

Heavy, but it's not for XC

Nice for the price