FSA Pig DH Pro Headset

FSA Pig Headset: Forged CrMo lower cup, 6061 aluminum upper. Oversized 1/4" lower ball bearings, 5/32" upper bearings. 30.0mm crown race ID, 34.0 cup OD. Includes aluminum top cap, bolt, star nut.

nuno_machuqueiro   All Mountain Rider [Jun 23, 2012]
Strength:

bombproof , stiff , cheap , probably you will make 80 years old and this headset will be good as new

weight

on the first rides whit this you will realize that the front of your bike was somewhat flexible with other headset.
You will really notice the new rigidity on the front

Similar Products Used: aerozine , fsa orbit
FueledbyAlex   All Mountain Rider [Mar 24, 2012]
Strength:

Solid and smooth sealed bearings.

Weight but that isn't a real issue

I'm a heavy rider 220+ and I have broken a few parts but this FSA Pig Pro DH is super solid. I broke the original headset off my Pitch and refused to spend money on a Chris King. I ended up picking a Pig Pro DH as recommended by the counter guy at Cambria bikes. Its the smoothest I've ever felt my bike steer. I've taken it to northstar a few times and never even had to worry about it. I did a lot of DH and AM and it's been perfect. I greased it maybe twice but I doubt it needed it. It's a heavy headset but I figured it's gonna need it. I've put 3 forks on my pitch but it's still running the same headset. I have put one on a Specialized Bighit I build for shuttling DH and zero issues. I love this headset and wouldn't bother putting anything else on. I'm planning on putting one on a Demo I just got and I'm sure I'll never have to worry about it.

If you're looking for a headset that you'll never have to worry about, get a FSA Pig Pro DH and properly install one in your bike. Hell swap out all your bikes to have one! It's a good buy and for about $30 who can beat that. It's not for weight weenies but for riders who want to ride and not just have their bike parts stared at.

Similar Products Used: Aheadset cane creek
GoremanX   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff, sealed bearings, lower bearings look beefy, dirt cheap

Heavy, half a pound!!!

I weigh 250 pounds, and I like to beat up my bike. My old FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro was pretty resilient, it lasted through all kinds of punishment even during the snow and salty slush of winter. I always kept an eye on it, but it never needed tightening over the last year.

When spring came around and I started doing rougher trails again, the headset developed a nasty creak/pop. So I decided to look for a new headset. I considered getting an Orbit Xtreme Pro again since I was happy with the last one, but I decided to try alternatives instead. I quickly got turned off from a Chris King headset after reading reviews. Considering my weight and the punishment I give my bike, I didn't think a Chris King would last very long. The price is also a major turn-off.

With "burliness" in mind, I decided on a new FSA Pig DH Pro. The same brand as my previous headset, but supposedly much stiffer and stronger.

For those people who claim a headset is "just a headset", you're wrong. One ride with my new Pig DH Pro was all it took to convince me. The handling on my bike has never been so responsive. It's like all the flex I didn't realize was there before is now gone. Everything feels stiff and solid. I never would've known what I was missing unless I tried something new, and I'm glad I did.

The lower cup is made of steel and contains MONSTER bearings. Even the crown race is thick and massive. The upper cup is made of aluminum and has more "normal" bearings. Each bearing assembly is fully sealed and easily replaced.

The Pig DH Pro is not for weight-weenies. At half a pound, it's probably one of the heaviest headsets around. But considering the improvement in handling, I think it's well worth it. Especially since it only costs $36!!! Now THAT'S value!

Similar Products Used: FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro, generic Aheadset
JOwens14   Cross Country Rider [Apr 08, 2010]
Strength:

Great headset and definitely worth the 40 bucks. I've put this through some nasty winters and rain and it keeps on going.

Relatively heavy

Great headset for the money. Doesn't have the flash of a King, and it's got some weight to it. But at the price, you may not find a better setup

Similar Products Used: A lot
Luke   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2010]
Strength:

Really smooth and fast.

Was a little bit heavy, and chunky.

This headset is amazing, Ive been using for over a year and seems like it is spinning faster then the first time i used it! Get this if you need a cheap, reliable headset.

Similar Products Used: None
andykrow   Downhiller [Jul 03, 2008]
Strength:

Cheap. Keeps working.

I guess it's heavy but it says "DH" on it. Overkill for an xc bike.

Ridiculously cheap for sealed bearings. Whoever said this won't last your bike doesn't know how to set up a headset proper. I've had mine for over 4 years, never a problem. Don't over-tighten! I greased mine a couple years ago, not sure it even needed it. Maybe I'll open it up again one of these months...LOL. Gets plenty of mud and evil sand/dust without issues. I've taken this everywhere - mostly freeride/dh but plenty of XC/AM too...generally 50 miles a week for that whole four years. I'll never buy anything else - the only reason would be image, and you only get that if you buy a King for 3 times as much. I guess you could get some pretty colors then...but I don't know how a King could work any better than the Pig...

Similar Products Used: Don't remember...it's been so long...
fatcat   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2008]
Strength:

Sealed bearings, heavy duty and cheaper than Chris King

none--its a headset for crying out loud

This is a great buy for a sealed bearing headset. I've purchased 2 so far for my bikes and I am ordering another for a Stinky that I recently bought. I've read the other reviews about it rusting but you gotta figure that if other parts on their bikes are steel than they must be rusted too? Ya think? I wouldnt want an aluminum headset, its the part that gets the most pounding from the fork. Anyways save money and go sealed bearings with the Pig Pro.

Similar Products Used: Chris king
hernan castaneda   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2006]
Strength:

was nice when it works

yesterday I destroyed it

It was nice, really nice feel, but yesterday I destroy all the headset from inside. I am 230 pounds not so gentle with my bike, so I understand to destroy things, but 1 year for a DH headset it is bad. Dont get me worng when it work is really nice but yesterday I almost had to comeback walking from the trail to home.