FSA Orbit ZS Headset

Cane Creek compatible Shallow Alloy cups fit into 50mm OD headtube Very low profile designed primarily for ATB’s Patented alignment tip for increased durability and performance TH brand 36/45 degree Micro Angular Contact Bearings (blue seal) 7075 aluminum crown race Laser etched aluminum top cap For 1 1/8" size steerer tube Stack Height* - 9.8 + 3.3 = 13.1mm Black anodized finish Weight - 80 grams (1 1/8")

Ciaran Mauro   Downhiller [Jan 11, 2010]
Strength:

FSA is a good solid brand
integrated into head tube
smooth

I got this headset upon the purchase of my Sette Flite frame. I was excited to have a bike with an integrated headset as they are safer and provide you with a beefier head tube than ordinary outer-tube headsets. So far, it rides good and feels and looks great. Now, I don't know how it'll compare to my previous King NoThreadset Sealed Bearing or how much I'll have to crack it open and grease it up. But until then I'm very happy with the feeling of it.

Similar Products Used: King NoThreadset, AheadSet Threadless, Cane Creek C1
OVERALL
næstep   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2003]

I had hoped to mount up the FSA Orbit Z which I purchased for this frame, to replace the stock Cane Creek ZS-2 headset that came spec'd on the bike.

Unfortunately, the Orbit Z cups were too deep to fit this frame properly. I spoke to the guys at FSA about the problem, and they quickly sent me this Oribt ZS to install instead.

(The Orbit ZS cups are about 5mm deep -- "Cane Creek compatible" they say; the Orbit Z cups are at least 7mm deep. Beginning in 2002, Giant reamed their NRS headtubes deeper to accept the deeper 'Z' cups.)

The headset behaved like I expected it to. After a couple of trouble free years on an FSA Oribt XLII, I was not disappointed with their Zero Stack version.

For some reason, the shallow-cup Orbit ZS came with a "standard" press-on crown race. The deeper-cup Orbit Z came with the easy to install split-ring crown race.

All in all, a completely unremarkable, trouble free headset. FSA customer service remains top-notch. What more to say?

OVERALL