FSA Orbit XL II Headset

• Angular Contact sealed bearings
  • Split 7075 aluminum crown race

• User Reviews (36)

miked1583   All Mountain Rider [Jan 30, 2013]
    Strength:

Strong, low maintenance, simple

Great headset. It's on it's second bike now, making about 7,000 miles total. Only had to grease once. I ride everything from XC to AM and it takes it all!
    If I could give it 10 chili's for value I would, I really can't see it failing. Save your money, this is all you need!

mike_d_1583   Racer [Aug 19, 2009]
    Strength:

Simple design. Sealed cartridge bearings

Need to tighten top cap pretty tight to get it to stop knocking. Bottom race doesn't seal 100%, leaves about .5mm space.

Nice headset for the price, Would rather pay a little more and get a quality part then spend 20 bucks on one that you will need to replace in a month. So far put about 600 miles on mine with no problems, just needs tightening every once in a while. But, I'm not easy on my bike. Sometimes hitting 3-4' drops. So I would recommend it due to the fact that it's not designed for that kind of use.

Similar Products Used: cheap aheadset
    pokz   Cross Country Rider [Jul 24, 2009]
    Strength:

simple, strong, solid, price

non bling

reliable xc headset....not a waste of money!
    you get more for the price you pay!

Similar Products Used: a lot
    urmb   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2009]
    Strength:

Economical, maintenance free, smooth, tough at least for XC.

I built up my favorite pony with this headset in 2003 and now, 10155 spring, summer, fall, and winter miles later, not one problem now or along the way. It has never leaked grease either.

Similar Products Used: All types over 21 years mountain biking
    ceejayvee   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2008]
    Strength:

CHEAP, DURABLE, ULTRA LOW MAINTENANCE

Lower bearing has dropped grease over the crown of my fork, I haven't regreased it but is still works perfectly (this could be the additional grease used when it was installed).

Never had to maintain it in anyway, I may replace the sealed bearings after my five years of use, just for the hell of it.

The bike came with cup n cone, I got bored of cleaning it all the time. I didn't have the big money for a Hope at the time, so bought the XL until I could afford a Hope. The XL has lasted so well I haven't needed to replace it yet and am so pleased with it's durability I will only buy XL's in the future. Sorry Hope.

No Maintenance, very happy with this headset.

Similar Products Used: CUP N CONE
    Todd   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2006]
    Strength:

Super smooth, fairly light, no maintanence

None so far

This is a great headset for the money. No problems thus far and is still as good as new. This headset has been in pooring rain, snow, mud, you name it and none of it gets in. For the price, I don't know if you can get a better headset.

Similar Products Used: Other open and sealed headsets
    KJ Smith   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2007]
    Strength:

Well made, solid. Crown race goes on easy.

THe funky expansion cap. I don't use it.

Great headset. I have two bikes with this headset on and one brand new headset waiting for my next project.

Similar Products Used: Aheadset, Shimano, Ritchey.
    Paul   Weekend Warrior [Apr 30, 2007]
    Strength:

Well priced, nicely made, quality machining, very smooth and uses sealed bearings.

None found yet.

The cane creek A71 headset on my KONA Cindercone lasted for two years before the whole thing turned into a big rusty seized mess. I didn't want to spring for a Chris King so I did some looking in the product review area and found that the FSA Orbit XL II was well rated, reasonably priced and fit my application. A quick search on eBay netted me a sweet deal. This is a very nicely made component from FSA, the bearings are completely sealed and provide for a nice smooth rotation. If you're looking for a nicely priced, good quality headset I would highly recommend you give this one a look.

Similar Products Used: Cane creek VP-A71 (OEM on my KONA)
    Daniel   Cross Country Rider [Apr 29, 2007]
    Strength:

light, looks good, performs well. sealed

none so far

This is a SMOOTH headset. Everything is sealed so dirt does not get in. It is also fairly light. I would recommend this to anyone. Why spend $100+ for a Chris King. Lets face it. Headsets rarely brake or malfunction unless you are abusing them. This one will last FOREVER.