FSA Orbit DL Headset

Orbit DL

FSA Orbit DL Headset 1 1/8" Standard Cup

mech mech   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2001]
Strength:

works

not for poser. perhaps the concept of aheadset and threadless stem is too complicated for some.

i can't believe one of the guys below is saying this. TOP CAP IS OFF AND YOU CAN'T USE YOUR BIKE??? what the hell do you think your stem is there for? the stem is held in place not by teh topcap but by the friction between the stem and the steerer tube!

oh yeah, the conix thing may bot work, that's probably why your headset is loose--because your top cap cannot hold when you try to adjust the headset. but once it's adjusted, you can basically lose the topcap (until you need to adjust it again).

Petro T   Downhiller [Jul 06, 2001]
Strength:

Not strong!

The Product itself is weak!

Well, I have ridden with this headset becuase.... Well, I was not smart enough to buy a good one! Do not get me wrong, it's a good product, if you don't ride hard and never get muddy! Broke after about 4.5months, just got gritty, and wasn't smooth at all near end!

Similar Products Used: Nothing similar, this headset seems to, well, kind of suck!
Brandon   Racer [Jun 29, 2001]
Strength:

cheap, black and shiny

caged bearings, gets loose

This thing lasted me a year with no problems, which is long enough I guess for something I should have paid more attention to when spec'ing my bike. After installing a new Mars, my friend at the shop couldn't get it to be loose enough to turn freely or tight enough to keep the fork from rocking. I may have overtightened it at some point, but then again all the cheap tiny little rings and seals and bearings didn't exactly help. If you're going to buy a headset, buy an expensive one that is sealed or a cheaper Aheadset that is heavy and durable like my old one.

Similar Products Used: really old Aheadset
Raymond   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2001]

poor bearings
poor cups
poor top cap

I bought this headset based on the great experience I had with a FSA headset I purchased in 1997. (see review below) Well this one was a disappointment. All of the parts are of a lower quality than the 1997 one I have. The bearings are extremely poor. The bearing races are flimsily and poorly constructed they are practically worthless. Even after replacing the bearings with better ones purchased locally the headset still was junk. I gave up and am having a new one installed. Do not buy a Orbit DL unless it is NOS from 1997 or so.

Similar Products Used: 1997 FSA Orbit DL
ed   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap. Good looking. So far it stands up to the use, not abuse.
Good customer service.

Directions. Online directions and directions sent with headset were contradictory.

I had some qualms about this headset. There used to be horrible reviews of FSAproducts on this board. I had never done much bike work and I didn't want to spend a forture only to screw things up.

Pricepoint had these really cheap and it was red. Figured it would be cool on my red/green/yellow color scheme. Didn't come with the conix but a starnut, which is good. I hear those are aweful.

The directions didnt seem to make sense when it came to the bearing install, so i looked online. The online stuff gave 2 different explanations to install. I emailed the company and got nothing back. So I emailed again. I waited a while and got pretty pi$$ed off. About 2 weeks later i finally got an email apologizing for the tardiness of the reply. They said they were moving offices and got backed up.

It is now on the bike and i can turn, bounce and stop fine. I don't ride hard, so i don't know about the ruggedness of this component. But I do know it is probably good for your average rider.

I will probably buy another FSA headset, but will get sealed bearings instead of the caged. Easier install.

tamas boros   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2001]
Strength:

looks good, cheap..

poor top..

I knew its not ganna be the best part of my bike,but after 200 miles ..????ahhhhh...

Top cap just sux.Every 10 miles i had to readjust.Can't stayed tight !!And after a few readjust ,this conix top just broken .I really can't use anymore .I can buy an extra cap,but I think i going to go for a new headset.

... If u think about use this for rocky stuff .......FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: non
Mathew   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2001]
Strength:

+Strong and smoth. Dont give a toss on what the others say.
+Hasnt given me a problem. Youll simply forget about it!
+Great value. A perfect place to save money without sacrificing performance.
+Great look on my bike.

-Slightly hevier than some other headsets.
-Probably wont last as much as other sealed bearings headset do.

First of all, im not going to talk the bullsh¡t the other reviews said.
I bought this stem because after riding for a few years with my GT block stem I decided to buy a kore B-52 stem I bought this headset with it because its probably the best place to save money without sacrificing performance.
And guess what? it turned out to be the perfect complement to my B-52. They are kinda best friends now.
Ive been riding with my Orbit DL for more than 6 months now and apart from looking great and strong it hasnt given me a problem. I dont think ill be changing headset for a while.

Similar Products Used: Another FSA Orbit (im not sure if its DL or XL) my friend has. Its worked for him fine for a time now.
A.S>   Downhiller [Jun 19, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap, like the top cap

low quality

tooooooo cheap. Buy something else. I changed my fork and now the headset creaks. It's scary. I need a new one. Go sealed if you can. FSA MAKES CRAP. I own a BB too and it's garbage. Never buying FSA again. Late....

Similar Products Used: wtb, aheadset
Stenchy   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2002]
Strength:

strong, goodlooking

none thus far

This headset is just fine. It gets the job done and I have had no problems with it what so ever. Who wants to pay 100 bucks for a Chris King that does the same exact job. The FSA might weigh abit more but who can really tell. Function over form please. I see many cyclists out there with all the right gear and setup, but they cant ride for poop. Riding comes down to the rider not the machine he payed to much for.