Crank Brothers Opium Headset

Crank Brothers Opium Headset

Crank Bros DirectSet Opium C Headset: Directset uses the cups as a bearing race to eliminate extra parts and minimize weight. Opiums are engineered specifically for Downhill use with upper and lower 34-ball sealed cartridge bearings...

[Dec 29, 2012]
et
Downhiller

Strength:

Light, simple design

Fragile - Strictly Not for Downhill

I used mine for about 6 months and it "shattered" into 6 pieces after riding some rock sections. The top snapped into 2 pieces and the bottom 4 pieces.

This headset is BY ALL MEANS NOT SUITABLE for DOWNHILL!

STAY AWAY from it if you intend to use it for Downhill.

I repeat, NOT FOR DOWNHILL!!

I don't even know why is it called Opium DH??? Please change it to Opium XC!

Chris King

[Sep 30, 2011]
bbieger
Downhiller

Strength:

It is very light

It is essentially a disposable headset.

Avoid this headset at all costs. I installed the headset correctly and even faced the headtube to ensure everything would go in smoothly. The very first day on the trail...THE FIRST DAY with the headset I hit a long high gap jump. Its about 35' long and a nice long tranny. Landed on the tranny perfectly... SNAP!!!! And I saw a piece of metal fly off the trail. WTF? The bottom race snapped in half! It snapped in HALF!!

seriously? "built for DH" they said. after riding home with ball bearings falling all over the place I found out that the bottom cup cracked off the part that inserts into the head tube.

The cheapest, most poory executed product I have ever experienced in 15 years of riding.

chris king, ahead set.

[Dec 18, 2010]
Spongebob

Strength:

Stainless Steel, light, simple and very low stack height, sealed 34 ball sealed bearings.

Not a weakness, but you must read the directions which point out that you must not put pressure on the bearings while installing. Use the tool supplied.

I've used this Opium SL downhill directset for almost 9 months. No problems. But I had the little supplied installation tool, and read the directions beforehand. No problems. 66grams and low stack height. I'm big and ride hard during all 4 seasons and wet too. No problems.

CC S6, C. King

[Nov 05, 2010]
y0bailey

Strength:

Weight, Ease of service, Price/gram

Be careful during install

By far the best headset I have used. No creaking King BS, and about half the weight and price. The design is simple as hell, and it so easy to service (and I have only had to service it once).

Just take your time during install (and let's face it, it isn't that hard...I didn't even have the proper tools just a bolt, some washers, and some nuts).

No complaints from me.

King, Other cheapo headsets.

[May 24, 2010]
Jan Petter

Strength:

It actually works if you manage to install it.

Installation, gram-fraud

I bought this headset because of it's weight. Claimed weight is 66 grams, while it turned out to be 94 grams. I can live with 10-15% difference in claimed/actual weight, but 42 % is more like fraud in my opinion. Secondly installation was terrible, a standard headset press couldn't do the job alone. A hammer was required, with paint being chipped of my frame as a result. There is actually an "installation tool" included. The "installation tool" is an aluminium ring to protect the bearings during installation.

Ritchey