Crank Brothers Cobalt Headset

Cobalt

Crank Bros DirectSet Cobalt C Headset: Directset uses the cups as a bearing race to eliminate extra parts and minimize weight. Cobalts are designed for Cross Country use with 28-ball sealed cartridge bearings.

Jose   [Apr 16, 2013]
Strength:

It's a really strong component that makes me go faster.

It's silver and a silver bullet killed my dog.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to own this product.

draff007   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2011]
Strength:

Low stack height

Trcky to install even with park press , rusty very quickly , fragile , anodising soft , bottom cup destroyed itself on 4th ride damaging fork crown.

Only purchased because of low stack height due to forks with short steerer . The forks were going on my sons On One but decided against it , only used the Cobalt for Cotic build because it was in the spares cupboard . Feels very light but also a bit weak . Awful to install even with Park press . Bottom race shattered on fourth ride and broken pieces ground into fork crown removing large chunks of paint , not happy . Don't even want warranty replacement will fit C King.

Similar Products Used: Hope , Chris King
thor thorvaldurson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2011]
Strength:

looks nice, color is cool, stainless steel

It BROKE after only 3 months of use.

I have used this headset for a scant 3 months, and it broke, it was definetely not an inexpensive component, I was generally happy with it up until the point it turned my bike ride into a very very long walk. I am truly dissapointed.

Similar Products Used: cane creek, ritchey
davek   Racer [Jul 12, 2011]
Strength:

looks nice

misleading advertisement and box labeling by crank bros shows weight of 65.5 grams - actual weight 95 grams

crank bros should be ashamed of reporting the weight of this thing as 66.5 g; the headset is 30 grams heavier than that. over the phone, they clarified that was cups only and defended that by saying that is consistent with other manufacturers. in my experience, cane creek, race face, chris king, etc, all report full headset weight. there may be 10-15% discrepancy between real and advertised but nothing like crank bros 50%.

i'll see how it performs and post another review after a while but for now this gets the thumbs down based on their under reported weight.

Similar Products Used: chris king, race face, FSA, etc.
Picardaw   Cross Country Rider [May 18, 2010]
Strength:

Light and looks good.

creaks

Going back to Chris King!

Similar Products Used: Chris King Aheadset
valleywine   Weekend Warrior [Mar 28, 2010]
Strength:

low stack height; appealing to the eye; light; serviceable

Unit works well, but the cups are starting to rust. I have submitted to crank brothers. We'll see how they handle it.

Similar Products Used: chris king nothreadset
lebikerboy   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2009]
Strength:

Low stack height, Stainless steel, 5 year warranty

None so far

I got an unbelievable deal on a Fox F100 fork which unfortunately had a fairly short steer tube. I removed the King headset and with the Crank Bros. in place it was just long enough. To be honest if feels just as good as the King
mind you it's only been three months...

Similar Products Used: Chris King, Syncros, WTB, Cane Creek, FSA, etc.
jpzweifel   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2009]
Strength:

Light, simple design, no problem with install

rust really fast

I bought this headset after reading up about it and likeing what I read about the cup/race design. When I got it in the mail I opened the package and gave it a once over and agreed that it was a nice looking headset and the design did allow for a light weight simple product. I did not have any of the problems installing the headset that others mentioned. On my first ride I did not feel an overwhelming difference in the bike, which is good in my mind as the headset was not crapy. Bearings felt smooth and the connection with the frame/fork/headset felt snug and secure.

I have ridden with this headset for about six months and I was doing some work on the bike (cleaning chain, checking torque on bolts etc) when I felt something crusty on the headset cups. When I looked closer I saw that it was rust on the outside of the cups. I bought the Cobalt C and do recommend buying any of the crank bro headsets unless you are getting the stainless steel version. This product only made it thru 1/10th of its warranty life before rusting, better luck next time. I went back to tried and true Cane Creek S2, nothing fancy but I know that it works. If a product cannot make it to at least the warranty life then it does not deserve more than one flamin' chili poo.

Similar Products Used: King, Cane Creek, Shimano, Tioga, etc...
AustinBiker   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2009]
Strength:

Low stack height, light, innovative design, solid quality so far

None so far

Suggested by my LBS, I'm very glad I went with this headset. I like a really aggressive riding position on my bikes, and with a 29er, the low stack height really helps. Not to mention shaving some weight. It has been solid to date, riding about 100 miles/week of aggressive xc/am. Others have mentioned trouble installing but my shop, which handles lots of 29ers, are really loving these headsets lately. I'll rewrite this review later if it is worn out in a few months, but I'm sold enough that I'm about to put the all mountain version on a new 120 mm Sultan.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek, King
sonyisdope   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2009]
Strength:

Lightweight, low stack height, clean looks.

Installation can be tricky, kind of fragile, bearings are not the highest quality.

I'm posting a followup review, I also posted the first review at the bottom of this page. I posted that up when I got my first Cobalt in April of '08. Well, after a year and a half of use, and purchasing 2 other Cobalts, I have to lower my reviews.

If you want a lightweight headset, that is a great value, this is it. It is kind of fragile, and in the end, I feel it is kind of a throw away headset. Sure, it has a 5 year warranty on it, and if you buy one, you will either utilize the warranty or throw it away within 5 years of owning it. The bearings are just cheap bearings, and nowhere near the quality of King bearings, or even the basic Cane Creek S-8 bearings.

Also, installation can be tricky. Either take it to a shop, or make darn sure that the cups go in PERFECTLY straight.

I have a Cobalt on my race bike, on my CX bike, and on my BMX bike, and they have all fared very well. On my singlespeed that I plan on keeping forever, I still rock a King, because it is a better headset. The King is just made of nicer materials and has nicer bearings. If you want the top of the line badboy headset, the King is still it. If you want to save a few bucks, AND want a lighter weight headset, the CB is the headset for you. If you can't understand why you would want a King, don't get a King, save a few bucks (and 1 ounce) and get this headset. I trash my CX bike, and this headset has stood up pretty well. On my race bike though, I noticed that the bottom cup is missing a small chunk of metal on the cup, but still works perfectly. I guess my big hangup is that when you decide to take one apart, you see how crappy it is, and the metal that they use on the cups is very fragile.

Sooooooo. . .If you want light and cheap, get the CB Cobalt. If it is something that you plan on keeping for a long time, step your game up to the King or Cane Creek 110. In the end, it's just a freaking headset.

Similar Products Used: Chris King, Cane Creek S8, and 110.