Cane Creek XXII 1.5 Headset

Cane Creek XX-II 1.5

Zachariah   All Mountain Rider [Sep 22, 2014]
Strength:

~ Very smooth angular contact sealed cartridge bearings
~ Everything is machined perfectly
~ Blingy, anodized red 6061 cups, match my EC90 XC carbon hubs
~ Get Chris King quality, for a fraction of the cost
~ 100% Made In USA(North Carolina)

- Only produced for ONE YEAR(2009-2010)

This review is for the Cane Creek 40 ZS3 XiiX Frustum E2-specific headset, found OEM on my 2010 Gary Fisher Superfly 100. I originally bought my bike used, with an FSA Orbit #52 tapered headset. The steering simply was not smooth. Usually, leaning the bike in one direction would naturally turn the bars.....not so, here. This meant I was not able to ride the bike hands-free. Also, the FSA headset had an annoying, yet tiny amount of fore/aft play, like the lower bearing somehow was not precisely fitting inside the FSA bearing cup. After many fine-tuning visits with the LBS - I was ready to sell the bike, fearing the frame would develop an ovalized headtube.

Much to my luck, I finally found the OEM Cane Creek ZS3 headset on eBay. The difference is dramatic. Gone was the wallowy, vague steering and play. The bike once again steered with laser precision, smoothness and authority. The low stack height means my 29er can now climb like a billy goat, despite being built-up as a trail-oriented XC bike. The Series 40 bearings are identical to the 110 Series, which in my honest opinion, rival that of over-rated, pricey Chris King.