Cane Creek S-8 Headset

S-8

The S-8 headset is an updated design of our S-6 headset, featuring replaceable bearings and a lighter, more compact profile. In addition to its sealed steel cartridge bearings, the S-8’s overhanging cup/cover design keeps contaminants from reach.

noisy cricket   Downhiller [Oct 17, 2010]
Strength:

Sealed bearings are great, the price was even better.

I still have to find out...

'Been using other cane creek headsets for almost three years and I'm satisfied with the way they've performed. I thought about up-grading to another brand for heavier DH applications, but after reading the reviews, and seen how other people appreciated the product, I've decided to stick with my present set and see how long it'll take to wear it down. I recommend cane creek s-8 headsets to anyone with a bike with an over-sized head tube.

Similar Products Used: s-3
kirsche1   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2010]
Strength:

Very smooth,sealed bearings,lite.

none so far

It's a great Headset for not a lot of Money.

Similar Products Used: stock headset [?]
KrackerG   Weekend Warrior [Mar 19, 2010]
Strength:

well designed, as good as or better than most Chris King headsets I've seen, which are more than twice the price. this model looks awesome!

none so far

you can pay much more for a different headset, and not get a better product. i've used other cane creek headsets (s-2) and thought it was "just ok". I was getting ready to spend over 100 for a chris king, but opt'd for this after reading these reviews and seeing it. Cane Creek really did a great job designing this model, its very well built...i believe they created a winner with this one!

Similar Products Used: Aheadset, Cane Creek S-2, Richey
codydog1133   Cross Country Rider [Apr 13, 2009]
Strength:

Stainless steel sealed bearings! This headset performs as well as others that cost twice as much or more. I have been on several trail rides with this headset so far, it is still very smooth, and has not had to be readjusted after or during a ride like other headsets I have had in the past.This is a quality headset. Thank you Cane Creek!

None so far

If you are a XC rider and want a worry free headset, this is it.

CourageousLion   Cross Country Rider [Dec 12, 2008]
Strength:

Very nice strong headset.

None that I can see.

I purchased an Aegis frame that had a Cane Creek S2 installed, but the bearings were missing. So I figured I could either buy bearings or a new headset. Well the bearings were as much as a headset so I thought, let's see what my 6.9 Madone has on it. It is a Cane Creek S8. I figured if TREK puts one of these on a $8K bike they MUST be good headsets so now I am looking to replace the S2 on the Aegis frame with a S8 by Cane Creek. Anyone wanting a fair priced very well made headset should consider this one vs some of the shine brands.

Similar Products Used: Token Ceramic
barnyard   Weekend Warrior [Dec 06, 2008]
Strength:

Works well-smooth, looks nice, and the big plus, the interlock spacers. A good value for the money.

none yet

This headset is a good value. It comes with the alloy interlock spacers. That feature makes this product an even better value.

Similar Products Used: chris king
Troy with the magic wand   Racer [Dec 05, 2008]
Strength:

It feels nice, looks nice, inexpensive

It's not a chris king?

I don't have any issues with this headset. It's looks nice and feels nice. As a joke I have a Chris King cap on it. I tell my friends I have a King Headset (already purhased 3 of those, not again), and they say "you've got a king cap". Cane Creek makes a nice headset. It's a good value.

Similar Products Used: King
cl   Cross Country Rider [Feb 02, 2007]
Strength:

smooth, tight and precise steering, good pricing, cartrige bearing provide better weather seal.

none so far

Upgraded from stock aheadset after three years and wow, what a difference, I think both the fork and headset upgrade contribute to the much more precise steering, this headset is tight, smooth and well made, with the affordable price this is an ideal upgrade item.

Similar Products Used: aheadset, FSA
Barry Leigh   Weekend Warrior [Oct 10, 2007]
Strength:

Well made. Solid. No creaking or other noisy "sounds like trouble." Good stack height, if that's important to you.

None so far

I'm just a road and paved trail rider, so I can't address the S-8's off-road durability, but I'll wager that it would hold (the sealed ball bearings cartridge) up fine. Cane Creek is a quality company that clearly takes pride in its products. Sure, I read the arguments for Chris King (on the CK website) but the S-8 can't be beat for the money. This model is now suddenly hard to find at the online shops. 5 Chillis. I would give it even a 'hotter' score if I could. Chipolte pepper, anyone?

Similar Products Used: The stock Aheadset that came with the bike. What a difference!