Cane Creek AheadSet Headset

Cane Creek Aheadset

kevinromig   Cross Country Rider [Jan 28, 2009]
Strength:

Works fine for a month or two if your broke.

Horrible seals. Bearings rusted after a little over a month causing turning to be very rough and annoyingly squeaky

dont waste your money unless you need something less than $30 and like spending more money in a couple months

Similar Products Used: cane creek s-3
willem3   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2008]
Strength:

Total Garbage. I am used to Chris King Headsets. This was included on my Jamis Exile 29er Singlespeed. The headset is loose and difficult to work with. Quality is substandard. You get what you pay for!!!

Changing this headset this week for a Chris King.

Alexander Young   Weekend Warrior [Mar 14, 2006]
Strength:

Sealed bearings, comes with a bottom seal and looks kinda sweet.

Umm, I don't know, I like it.

Nice headset seems to be working well. I have no problems with it so far.n Lotsa chillis.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek something er other.
Andrew   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2007]
Strength:

very smooth, looks expensive

comes loose every once in a while, seals dont work as well as expected

i love this headset. i bought it because it was cheap and the guy at the shop said it was a decent headset. it runs very smooth and i havent had any serious issues. it comes loose about once every couple months- not much but the fork wiggles a bit when not moving, but i bomb the trails pretty hard to. rode in [light] rain a few times and had to clean out the crap and re-grease the bearings each time. perfect for a newbie looking for a cheap, but reliable headset, an doesnt rip up the trails a lot.

5 chilis because it was inexpensive
4 chilis for working 90% of the time

Similar Products Used: nothin else tested
Craig   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2006]
Strength:

None really

Thsi headset was stock on my 2004 Trek Liquid 10. It developed problems with the first two months. On close inspection it appears that the top of the upper cup is uneven. In order to properly adjust the headset and remove play it has to be very tight. Which totally negates handling. Despite regular maintenance the lower race and bearing corroded within the first 6 months.

I wouldn't purchase another Aheadset and this has turned me off of Cane Creek products altogether. For the money an FSA Orbit is a far better headset.

Similar Products Used: Race Face Real Seal. WTB Grease Guard, FSA Orbit, FSA Pig DH
47mphman   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2004]
Strength:

Cheap, but not very cheerful! Came factory-fitted on TREK 8500

Haven't got out much this Winter, but in 5 rides of mud, followed by wash-down, the bearings had rusted to buggery and siezed. The Bike Factory tried to be helpful and replaced bearings with loose ones, but still rough as hell.

As far as I'm concerned a headset should be fit and forget. Its you tyres, rims and pedals that normally take the hammer. TREK should fit better gear to their dogs bollocks hard-tail. Advice - if you fit one, pack it with good old-fashioned grease to prevent it rusting up.

Similar Products Used: Used FSA Orbit in the past - dead easy to fit. Have ordered Raceface Thermo SP this time, so will let you know
Stefan Andersson   Weekend Warrior [Apr 28, 2006]
Strength:

It might work if it is correctly assembled.

Came with bike. Ran with neopren head set covers from start and cleaned carefully.
The lower race was corroded after a few months and was totally destroyed.
Looking at the maintenance picture I saw that the lower protecting ring was missing from the start...no wonder that the lower race was messed up.
The Swedish Trek agent didn't honor the warranty and told me that it was wrongly adjusted. A real bummer since I work professionally with automotive wheel bearings and can tell the obvious difference between corrosion and adjustment damages.
I swapped for a Chris King instead...no worries.

Even if the lower ring were in place I have serious dubts if this is durable since it is lacking proper rubber seals. Go for a head set with sealed industrial bearings...and forget about it.

Chris King   cross-country rider [Mar 15, 1998]

I also went with the Cane Creek because of the cost of the King (pretty tempting considering my name)but I think it is pretty smooth and worth the money. I installed it myself but it is easy to screw up a headset install and if you are confident have the shop do it (creaking problem--see earlier post--could easily be an installation problem)

Big Sur   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 01, 1999]
Strength:

Worry free performance and no serviceing

Not a Damn thing!!!!

If you hate to overhaul your bike like I do then buy this headset. I wish every bearing on my bike was sealed then all I would have to do is ride it. But I dont make that kind of money. Cane Creek rulz.

Bert   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to install/adjust

After 9 months of operation and some 900 km´s all cups, bearings and other parts were completely worn

Unfortunately I can not agree with th eaverage rating on this headset as it is clear that in my situation it did not do were it designed for.