Titec 118 Ti Handlebar

Titec 118 Ti Handlebar

The lightest titanium handlebar, period. At an incredible 118 grams, this butted aerospace-grade 3/2.5 Titanium bar escapes the traditional limits of how light a handlebar can be, without compromising strength!

• Material: butted aerospace grade 3AL/2.5V Ti
  • Bend and rise: 3 degree back-sweep
  • Width: 555mm (22 in.)

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 12, 2003]
    Mark A. Lohnes

Strength:

Light and supple - takes the sting out on high freguency vibes!

none so far

I love this bar. It has been a tremendous upgrade to the light Bontragers I used to use. This bar in narrow, which I prefer, tough as heck, and is so comfy. Because it is a narrow bar the stiffness factor is not an issue with me. I have wrecked pretty badly on 2 occations and the bar didn't even scratch!!!

I have Titec Carbon barends with out BERTS and I have not had a problem yet. I did finally get a pair and feel more comfortable with the added security, though. No problems PERIOD.

no other Ti bars

[Jul 10, 2003]
    Rob

Strength:

Light & Strong (Despite looking wimpy but I guess that is ti)

It was uncomfortably short at first but even as a tall guy (6'3") I got used to this after my first few rides and they feel great now!

I am reading through all the reviews for this product and see that the same is true for a number of other things reviewed on this site. There are a number of people out there who for some reason seem to damage things out of incompetence!!!

BOTTOM LINE is that I am a guy who weighs 270 and rides a number of times each week, and these things have stood up to all my stress, have no issues with bending or crimping (and I use bar ends), and have had no bar integrity issues during some intense crashes!!!

You usually get what you pay for and this is the bar that all the guys at my local shop ride too! Great bar for anyone!!!

None!

[Jan 18, 2007]
    ed ed

Strength:

light and tough, narrow enough for tight trails through trees. outstanding workmanship and an amazing piece of engineering. still one of the lightest bars this side of carbon fiber.

vibrates easily. ends are sensitive to damage especially if you have barends and crash now and then. a little bit flexy for people who ride with muscle.

great xc bar for light to middle weight riders. not for the red bull crew. an engineering marvel at 118g. i moved on to a dh riser bar because i needed more bar height on the f700 and more width for better breathing on climbs. also mine was one of the first to come out of the titec factory and titanium does have a fatigue life. probably the best bar ever made for it's intended purpose.

n/a

[Apr 17, 2003]
    Kyle

Strength:

Light and Flexy, but not too much so

A little too narrow

My girlfriend wanted to go to a riser bar on her bike. I "volunteered" to switch bars with her. I'm pleased to say that we are both happy with the outcome. She bought her bike used and didn't even know the bar was Ti. I love the flex, but its slightly too narrow. I won't dock it any chilis though.

Bonty Race Light. Race Face Air Alloy

[Sep 06, 2001]
    Paul St.Laurent

Strength:

LIGHT!!! STRONG!!! cool looking.

Ends of bar can crimp in crash.

Excellent bar if you can justify spendind the money. I weigh 180 lbs and the bar does flex a little which makes for a nice ride. The bar is super light and strong.I don't use bar ends so crimping at the thin ends was not a problem for me until a car hit me from behind. I got a broken tail bone and a bent bar at the end. The bar needs to be replaced. I will be getting another titec for sure!

Nothing this light!

[Apr 07, 1999]
    Eli

Strength:

Light, strong, comfy

A bit narrow

This is a great handlebar, if you don't weigh a lot and aren't a thrasher. I've been riding mine pretty hard for about three years, and still haven't had any trouble with it (knock on wood). I love the light weight and durability, although I can't say as I notice whether it flexes or not. I guess I'm just not hardcore enough to care about the whole flex issue. It doesn't creak or slip, and it hasn't failed. What else can you ask for in a handlebar? I suppose it could be a little wider, although it doesn't really bother me.

3T H-Bars, Scott LF

[Mar 19, 1998]
    Beery
    cross-country rider

I installed these on my fully ridgid
    bridgestone MB1 and after a summer of rough riding these things are noticably bent. They have a great feel but seem to be disposable. I cant complain though since Ionly paid 10 bucks for them brand new (someone swapped them for riser bars when they picked up a new rig)

[Apr 20, 2001]
    Charlie

Strength:

Durability

Doesn't flex (I originally bought it because I was using a rigid Kinesis fork & thought it might flex enuf to take the bite out of smaller impacts.)

This is a followup of my '97 review. This bar has literally taken a beating & kept on ... Crashed into an Australian pine hard enuf to draw blood about three weeks ago but the bar was none the worse from the right-side impact. Quite amazing considering I hit the tree hard enuf to numb my left arm/shoulder. Definitely rates the highest marks for both value & overall.

Various aluminum bars but no ti.

[Apr 14, 2001]
    kevin

Strength:

So light it's scary, very durable titanium.

When I first purchased it, I was afraid to use it becuase it was so light..like air. When you hammer fast down some single track om rough terrain it takes some bite out along with zero flex. It's survived a few crashes. If you are looking for a replacement, this is it.

Kore light bar

[Nov 05, 2000]
    Rico

Strength:

Durability. Flex takes off the sharp edge of bumps.

It's not really that light weight. Mine weighed 142g with the Berts and shim.

I've been riding/racing my same Titec 118 bar for over 7 years (including racing the Kamikaze 3 times with it)! Been in numerous crashes, at least 3 of which were over 40 mph. The bar just keeps going. It is a bit narrow resulting in less control stability when doing steep ascents/descents and with barends it's really narrow, but look at the positive, it sure makes it easy to wind through the trees on singletrack. Yes, the ends of the bar are crimped where the barends clamp on as a result of numerous direct impacts with trees and rocks, but it is far, far less then any other bar I've seen that has faced similar challenges. Definitely use the BERTS if you are running bar ends. I've enjoyed this bar so much I decided to put another one on my recently built Santa Cruz Superlight. Must give it a Fiver for a lifespan like that.

Answer Hyperlight (crimped and bent after 1 year), Klein MC (cracked after 1 year)