Ritchey Prolite WCS Handlebar

Prolite WCS

Ritchey Prolite WCS

DANGER6   Downhiller [Jun 13, 2010]
Strength:

Strength
Longevity
Color
Weight

.... good question

I bought this bar as a teen off a guy that owned a bike shop
in Castle Rock,CO for $20. That was in 1994. I have been riding it ever since.

Similar Products Used: Stock GT garbage
Andy WS   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2007]
Strength:

Still going strong 16 years after I was given them, for an super-light bar that's insanely good. These are the original gold ones seen here: http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/hndlbars_jpg/ss_wcs_center.jpg, they don't seem to do this exact model any more.

Too light for bar-ends or landing big drops. XC bars only!

Ride light and they'll last forever (hopefully).

Similar Products Used: Specialized XC
The Beast   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 07, 1999]
Strength:

Light weight.
Good price

The word LITE does not exist in the english language. Please don't use it!

What can I say. I pull on them and the bike goes where I want it to. Much better than the old cut down piece of a broom handle I used to use as a handle bar. As for the Ritchey name.... I have one of his '90 frames and it kicks ass, but he'll put his name on just about any thing now-a-days.

Skunkboy   cross-country rider [Mar 25, 1998]

The greatest handlebar ever made!! The best dollar to gram ratio. Lost 60 grams of old stock handlebar. Taper walls help to absorb some small bumps the fork isn't able to pick up, but isn't flexy(like Titec 118). Stronger than you would think. An excellent upgrade for any XC racer and/or rider.

Graham Curkendall   Cross Country Rider [Oct 06, 2000]
Strength:

Light, stiff, looks pretty good

A little too stiff and narrow for me, painted logos rub off easily.

These bars came stock on my bike. They were a good width at first, but after i moved the grips in a bit to install my bar ends, they felt a little too narrow. They seem nice and stiff, but they don't absorb shock like my DEAN thermo bar does. Overall though, its an excellent stock item for a bike.

Similar Products Used: LP Carbon Riser, DEAN thermoplastic flat bar.
Luis Lopes   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2000]
Strength:

Very light; Beuatiful.

So weak

Ritchey could do an handlebar even ligther... and even weaker, if you know what I mean; please don't put extenders on your handle bar, please....

Similar Products Used: Icon; Marin lite; Aluminium ones.
Roarc   Cross Country Rider [Feb 22, 2000]
Strength:

Good bar I guess...Light....Lasted longer than it should of.

Needs a little more material on the ends to prevent crimping from bar ends

They finally cracked...well I found a small fracture when I was changing my shifters. I've rode them for a little over 3 years and they have served me well. They even broke like they are supposed to...a little crack then I'm assuming total falure. Oh, I'm 160 lbs and am hard on my bike because I tend to choose poor lines...I don't notice but everone else does. The only realy problem was that if you get tourque happy on the bar ends you can crimp the ends of the bar...but any light weight bar tends to have this problem. I recomend them if your a Cross country rider...but if you are freerider look into getting a more heavy weight bar.

Good Riding:-)

Similar Products Used: Can't remember...Hyperlites I think
TREE   Weekend Warrior [Nov 20, 1999]
Strength:

9 degree bend possiable
not sure ,storng?? (I am only 135 lbs. Can't tell.)

Cheap looking
cheap paint

$19 for this ,OK.
$29 for this,no thanks!!
It may not be bad for others ,but not for me.

Similar Products Used: bonrager(5 star)
Dev   cross-country rider [Nov 22, 1998]

These Prolite bars came on my Specialized S-Works. Had them for 2 mos now. I think the bar that had problems with breakage and barend crimping are the 123 gram Prolites. Mine is a 140 gram bar and I have clamped my barends on it supertight without any problems. Let me know if anyone has problems with the 140 gram Prolites. Also, the 5 degree bend is more comfortable on my wrists than the typical 3 degree bends without losing performance.

Jazzy   racer [Oct 27, 1998]

While i was racing hard out on a extreme xc racing track my ritchey prolite handle bar snap in the middle causing me to break my arm and put my collar bone out of place. i say do not buy this cheap handle bar. it bites!!