On-One Mary Handlebar

Meet Mary... Our classic alt-bar. We like to think of it as an extreme sweep riser bar. It's a bit odd, but makes a lot of sense once you give it a go.

• 37mm rise (measured center to center)
  • 645mm width
  • 22.2mm outside diameter (MTB levers fit fine)

• User Reviews (27)

DaveS29er   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2012]
    Strength:

I used to be a biker. Then, I was into running for about 20-25 years. When I got back into biking, I found I had a lot of wrist pain and hand numbness that didn't used to bother me. I put this On-One Mary bar on a hybrid bike I use for bike paths and graded dirt roads (700C x 32 tires). This bar, plus raising the stem several inches to reduce the pressure on my hands, has been a big help. The wrist pain is my less. I still get hand numbness on rides of several hours, but that is anatomy and age, not the bar's fault. This bar was not available from any distributor in the US when I was looking for one in 2011, but I found one at my favorite bike store--eBay. I went with a Hitec J-bar on my single speed mountain bike. I like the J-bar more, but it requires a stem with a 4-bolt face plate.

I have a 15-20 year old Girvin Flexstem on this old hybrid. It was difficult to get the wide clamp around the bend in the handlebar. My stem clamp is 35mm wide (NOT the clamp diameter, which is 25.4mm on my bike). If your stem is 2 or 3 mm narrower, you will have no difficulty. Do pay attention to clamp diameter. I read on the Internet that this handlebar is available in both 31.8mm and 25.4mm. On my road bike, my hands and wrists still feel most comfortable riding the hoods on dropbars.

A very comfortable bar which helps with wrist and hand problems that occur with straight bars. My choice for a mountain bike or hybrid when your stem does not have a 4-bolt face plate.

barnbig   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2012]
    Strength:

Comfy backsweep
    Stiffness
    Cool factor of not running conventional straight or risers for my 29er hardtail
    No more sore wrists, numb hands

None.

I have been using this with gt karakoram hardtail. This is really a great bar, have also the 720mm fleegle for my rip9. I use this bar primarily for my 29er commuter hardtail, but once i tried it on the trails, will never go back to straight or risers again. Control was amazing on rocky, loose, any trails. Planning on replacing my fleegle with another mary for my rip9. If there was carnegies here in the philippines will use it for my rip9. Wish it was a bit wider around 720mm, then it is perfect.

Similar Products Used: Fleegle, da bomb apache
    dgw2jr   [Apr 10, 2012]
    Strength:

Exceptional control over rocks and roots, track stands are easier, and the front end is more stable during climbs

Might not be wide enough for some people

I am using the Polished Black 31.8 clamp Mary bar, mounted on my 2011 Salsa Mukluk with a 110mm 6 degree stem.

I have tried several types of bars, flat and riser and some alt-bars with anywhere between 11 and 23 degrees back sweep. I keep coming back to the Mary bar. I feel like I'm riding slower with the Mary but the GPS and my wrists don't lie. I am at least half a mile an hour faster when riding with the Mary bar. Midwest single track is all about weaving in and out of trees and bounding over roots, and the Mary is narrow enough to fit between the trees while giving the leverage required to keep the front wheel under control when riding over large roots, rocks, and logs. Other bars require that I shed a lot of speed when negotiating tight single track or risk bashing my knuckles. I do have to use a stem that is about 20mm longer in order to fit comfortably but it's worth it. I can ride considerably farther with this bar since I no longer experience wrist or elbow pain. It's even comfy enough for long boring bike path/road rides.

rockcrusher   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2011]
    Strength:

This is my rigid bike enabler. With out these bars I have pain in my hands, calluses and the like. With them I can ride for hours and hours on rocky technical terrain without a worry, pain or calluses building.

They are weird looking and there is barely enough room for a full size lock on grip, brake and shifter.

If you find that you have hand pain I suggest going right to these and bypassing the mid range bend bars (fleegle, salsa etc). They will take some getting used to but I use them on everything, including very technical rocky descents and ascents.

They in no way hinder my ability to descend technically or ascend technically.

If i had a full suspension bike I would use these or ragley carnegies in a heart beat. They just really work for me and my hands.

Similar Products Used: On-One Fleegle
    UberClyde   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2010]
    Strength:

Comfort, leverage, finish

Perhaps 3-5 degrees more sweep than ideal, at least for me

I originally bought these for a commuter, and then decided to try them on a 29er project build. They have been there ever since. I have raced this setup three times, and put many many hours on these bars. I can never use straight bars again. Ideally, a tiny bit less sweep would be perfect for me, but I have no hand numbness or wrist soreness even after 4 hours. More telling, I don't get the pumped up forearm problem on long technical downhill sections. The only problem with the version I purchased is that there is basically no section of this bar that is perpendicular to the direction of travel, making it awkward to mount a computer or a light, let alone both. The bars were a bit expensive when they first came out, but I see that you can get these for considerably less now.

Similar Products Used: Nothing like it
    jeffreyjhsu   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2010]
    Strength:

They put my hands into a much more comfortable position.

For some people they might be too narrow or too wide. Unlike traditional bars, you can't cut them down to make them narrower.

285 grams.

I can ride for a much longer time without getting tired or numb hands with these bars.

Similar Products Used: Nothing like these bars anywhere.
    Dr. D   Cross Country Rider [Feb 14, 2010]
    Strength:

Comfort, control & multiple hand positions.

Heavy I guess, there are much lighter options for sure. Because of the sweep of the bars, depending on what brake levers you have, and the placement, the cable/hose is sticking out is waiting to get damaged in a crash. This is honestly can be a big issue. I have broken a few Avid SD7 levers. Then again I crash often and very hard. This is also an issue that I will happily live with in exchange for the comfort the bars bring to my life. NO MORE NUMB HANDS!

This is my second review of the Marys. I have used these bars for a couple years now and have to say it's the best money I have spent. Comfortable, especially if you ride for hours. If you get numb hands during your rides, this is the answer, period.

Similar Products Used: All the other regular bars, nothing with this much sweep.
    cakake   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2009]

Awkward position, pushes elbows in

Some people love 'em, I didn't. Too much sweep/angle, either puts my elbows into my ribs, or makes me kink my wrists, or not grab the bar with my whole hand. Handlebars are a personal thing, but I found these very uncomfortable.

Similar Products Used: Bunch of low riser bars
    Jekyll Rider NO.1   Racer [Jun 04, 2009]
    Strength:

Very comfortable

None noticeable yet

I am a road rider and never venture off the tarmac so this review is aimed at riders like myself.

I was tired and frustrated with the general discomfort of straight bars with a slight rise. My elbows always seemed to be forced outward causing endless re-adjusting in the saddle.I had been saying to a friend for an age that this kind of standard handlebar just does not seem right and being an ex motorcyclist I noticed most of their bars sweep back and slightly down. So after 7 years(!) I started researching alternatives. Reviews of the Mary bars were almost all positive so I took a chance and bought a set.

With only a couple of weeks of use I can safely say these bars are worth the money and worth a try.

The comfort they bring is unbelieveable, I now realise how out of control the straight bars felt especially when braking very hard from high speed. Now I feel balanced and relaxed when the front end dives. Being a wheelie nut I wondered how the change would effect the fun ? Of course it feels slightly odd at first but once again a more relaxed and balanced feel has been gained. Cornering at speed with the bike leant over has been the most noticeable change of feeling, though not a problem just a case of getting use to the new sensation. I added a Renthal bar brace which dilutes the 'cruiser' look and useful for attaching lights. The XT shifters fit ok, felt odd for a moment but work fine. Being a sucker for bikes and their accessories looking good and not awkward the hardest thing to get use too with the Mary bar is the 'bat wing' look especially on a mountain/hybrid bike. Take time setting them at the correct angle for maximum comfort and you wont be disappointed. I hope this lengthy review helps. 46

t0mislav   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2009]
    Strength:

Ergonomic, boosts performance, seems strong enough

Heavyish, looks "different", lengthens all your cable and hose runs

These really are great bars, don't be afraid of trying them on a FS 26er. There is a small learning curve but it's just reprogramming your reactions. Wheelies and off-cambers required a bit more thought until they got familiar.
    If you have arms, these put them in a better position. It's more relaxed- I think I can breathe easier, and with these your forearms don't do the pulling on climbs, your biceps and upper arms do. No hand numbness anymore either. I recommend these 100%, if you can endure getting a longer stem (+20mm for me), finding your position, lengthening your cables and hoses, and the occasional heckling in Moab, from German XC dorks painted in lycra and cologne (but you'll pass them on the downhill or anything technical anyway).