Klein Stratum 165 Bar Handlebar

Klein Stratum 165

seth carlson   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2003]
Strength:

light, matches my klein adroit

i dont know if i should just use bar tape on my whole handlebar and ends, or try and slide grips onto the bar

I've been looking for these things forever!! Klein sold out to trek, so its impossible to find em now. My bike shop just found them the other day while digging through the back of their shop. I luckily got these. I now feel so complete. They're strong, light, and the barends look kinda cool. If you're looking for a stratum 185, you can get one at scheels all sports for $19.99 in fargo, nd. # 1 701 298 2918

Similar Products Used: none, this one is very diverse--totally pimped out
Keith Wood   Norba racer [Mar 26, 1996]

I crashed pretty hard on these bars (thermoplastic w/ Al bar ends) and bent the bar end pretty badly. It snapped completely off when I took the brake levers off, but Klein happily and promptly sent me a new one free of charge. A ton of bars would have broken in this monster digger I took, and the main bar part is bulletproof. I like the way it feels, but it's a bit tough to get Grip Shift around the bar end radius. The bar ends are also smaller diameter than clamp on bar ends. It's more expensive than a Scott, but has more hand room and doesn't need to be replaced once a year like the Scott does.

Grand Pooh Bear   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2003]
Strength:

Lightweight, stiffness, durability

This review is for the Stratum 90 bar, not the 165. I purchased this bar after reading about it in a magazine. Weighing in at 89.9 grams, I had to have it, being a total weight weenie. The box was heavier than the bar. The shop actually checked to make sure the box wasn't empty. I actually killed my first one in a crash, because as it turned out, I had tightened the brake levers so much on the handlebars, they cut into teh carbon, which cracked and snapped when it came up close and personal with a rock. I bit the bullet and bought a new one after consulting Klein about the problem. Now I tighten the levers down just enough to make them snug. No chance of cutting the carbon. Since then, I have never had a problem. I can put my full weight on them(160)without a hint of flex, even if I bounce on them. I have no doubt this bar is one of the strongest bars going, especially considering the weight. Too bad it is no longer made.

Similar Products Used: Scott, Trek
Kenny Adams   Cross Country Rider [Nov 26, 2000]
Strength:

Light, strong, reduces some arm fatigue from long rough rides, look trick

None that I'm concerned about...you can't use bar ends.

I don't think I need 50 words to bottom lines these bars, but anyway...I am pretty sure they stopped making these. I got lucky and found them unused at my LBS. It's probably not the best bar for hardcore jumping or downhill. I have the Stratum 90's...I have no idea how much the weigh exactly, but they are really light, almost scary. They look almost like plastic on the outside. If you find some and you like flat bars, grab them!

Similar Products Used: Icon Series (folded in half on a table top), Syncros flat 6061 (good bar, but crap compared to the Statum)
Rob Bennett   cross-country rider [Oct 14, 1998]

Super Bars. I've had these for about three years now and they have been great.
So Light but very strong. I bent the bar-end over a year ago and sent it to Klein for a warranty. They promplty replaced it free of charge. Klein if you're reading this bring'em back. For your info, The Bicycle Shoppe in Charleston, SC has a bar in stock for those of you looking for one.

Big boy rider   weekend warrior [Oct 14, 1998]

I have now owned a Klein for 3 years and I bought the bike with the stratum
handle bar as an option. Two weeks of riding I took a fall and snaped the carbon in half (thats 1200 pounds of tourqe they say it takes to break one of these bars). Anyway I sent it back asap and in no time I recieved a new one at no cost and been riding harder ever since. Overall great bar. Too bad they discontinued the stratum and the 2.3 Deathgrip tires I loved them and now cant find them anywhere... Trek you suck for buying Klein a once great company!!

charlie   cross-country rider [Oct 05, 1998]

i have the stratum 90's, and i think that they are great. the lack of bar ends bothers me, but it is alright. klein no longer makes them, but if you can pick one up, do it, they are great. take crashes, and doesnt seem to ever give into any pounding that i can give it. one thing, if you are gonna buy it, dont be frieghtened by how light it feels, it is unerving, but it is so damn strong, if it were solid steal, it wouldnt be as strong.

Louie   cross-country rider [Dec 29, 1997]

The best in the world.. it seems like God made it... just as all the klein bikes, frames... and others as well
I myself have a Klein Attitude.. it is with out a douth the storger bike of any out there. So everbody wake up and buy a Klein.. Just kidding, Later All
MtbLouie@ aol.com

Jon   cross-country rider [Oct 13, 1997]

I have the Stratum 90 (the one pictured above without wrap around bar ends) and have been very happy with how light and strong they are. These bars are discontinued and I rather hope that I don't have to talk to Klein about any replacement issues. The one draw back of these bars is that you can't use bar ends, it crushes the carbon weave.

Tony   weekend warrior [May 24, 1997]

I ride a Klein Attitude with Manitou SX front shock and stratum bars.
The bars have definitely taken some hard hits and came up unscathed,
except for the last one. It was a monster digger and the bar
completely snapped off on the left side about 2 inches off center.
Other than that I have been surprised how strong these bars really are.
I have since contacted Klein and sent the bars to them for inspection
and hopefull replacement, it's been two weeks and I am still waiting.
I will again use the Stratum bars without reservation, expecting that
Klein will stand behind their product.