Easton EC70 XC Handlebar

XC racers have long used flat bars to give them a more aggressive riding position. This position, which requires a low front end, provides more leverage for steep climbs. The Easton EC70 XC Handlebar puts the XC racer in this optimal climbing position while keeping the overall weight lower than a...

xmessenger   Weekend Warrior [Jan 23, 2011]
Strength:

Light, stiff, strong and dampens harsh vibes.

Fear of catastrophic failure. Although this is unlikely as it has been tested as being one of the strongest.

I really like this bar because it is so light yet has zero flex.(my syncros cattleprod flexes before the bar!). Despite the lack of flex this bar does dampen harsh road noise while the P2's take the hits.Perfect for zipping through traffic without wide risers.So far very happy.

Similar Products Used: Ti flat, brahma bull, al risers.
Tweezak   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2008]
Strength:

Reasonably priced. Smooths out all the little stuff very nicely.

No carbon weave bling to show off to your friends :( Lots of decals (poor substitute). Made in China.

I commute about 25 miles a day and I like to run high pressure tires for efficiency. My bike is so ridiculously stiff that the marginal road surface gets really annoying. My forks don't flex at all and my hands take all the beating. This bar essentially isolates me from all of the smaller stuff. It is truly a night and day difference. The first day I had it I made a point of running over some truck tire tracks in the asphalt that made a good washboard. I could feel them through my pedals but not though my hands. I will enjoy this every time I ride.

If you are a commuter and you want a flat bar, buy it.

Other people seem to be finding these cheaper but I couldn't. I still feel it's worth the money so I'm giving a 5 for value. Probably not the lightest bar out there (only 30g lighter than my old mid 90s aluminum bar) but I'm not too concerned with weight.

Similar Products Used: Zoom 155g aluminum bar
Sancho86   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2008]
Strength:

light weight, looks sweet, very strong

This bar is awesome, cut almost a full pound off the alloy bar I had and is super stiff and seems to ease some trail buzz. Definently a worth while investment for anyone looking to upgrade their bar. This thing can take a pounding and not be fazed in the least, I have the O/S version and it totally changed the ease of poping the front wheel up for obstacles. Very recomended.

Similar Products Used: factory bars
scorpions   Weekend Warrior [Aug 01, 2008]
Strength:

Extra light and affortable for

under investigating

Good to fit any handbar like Ergon.

David   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2003]
Strength:

Light, takes a lot of trail buzz out and looks damm good

Its my first carbon bar and I am very happy with its proformance, It takes a lot of trail buzz out and that is always a good thing. I was a bit worried about putting bar ends on though, but I have not had a problem with it as long as you don't tighten your bar ends up to tight you wont crush your bars. Bottom line buy them if you want a light handle bar that reduces trail buzz and looks good.

Similar Products Used: First carbon bar
Matt Cooper   Cross Country Rider [Oct 17, 2005]
Strength:

cheap, much lighter then my Kore Lite alloy bar, dampens vibration well (I dont notice much oh any on my rigid MAGNESIUM single speed), strength

its not a CT2, but hey, it costs half as much, and knowing its heavier lets me trust it more

A good bar, Ive allready crashed it hard one on pavement and after a thourough inspection found it to be completely unharmed. Im happy with it.

Similar Products Used: all sorts of alloy bars, even the honeycomb ones
Jon   Racer [Mar 06, 2002]
Strength:

Light
pretty - carbon weave, subdued logos.
strong

can be damaged with no visible signs
too light?

First off, I wouldn't have bought this for myself, but it was offered in trade, and I thought "Why not?"
First impression - it's light. I can't tell the difference from a Hyperlite, but it's definitely not going to hold me back.
I used this opportunity to upgrade my stem, too. 2002 Ritchey Pro, with a wide 4-bolt clamp, and pretty light, too.
I've ridden the setup 3 times now, and it's not magic, but it's light, stiff, and seems to smooth out a bit of chatter. I wish for a bit more bend - I like the 7-9 degrees Bontrager uses - but I'll live. I also dropped the barends, and haven't missed them. No problems with grips staying put, and no funny noises yet, though I've been watching the torque, and will check the bars every so often - I like my teeth where they are...
So, not a bad upgrade, if you have the cash, but no magic carpet, either.

Similar Products Used: none-first carbon bar. I've used a bunch of light alloy bars, though. Hyperlites and Bontrager Racelites, mostly.
Derek Mattice   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2002]
Strength:

Light

none yet, but don't be fooled by the new EC90. That bar uses a new carbon lay-up process but the real weight savings comes from Easton reducing the bar to 22" width (pure trickery to advertise 25 gram weight savings over the old CT2). The EC70 is the true CT2 replacement.

Finally, a carbon bar that you can clamp bar-ends on. This is the fourth replacement bar (one cracked at the stem, two on the bar-ends) that I have received from Easton. It appears that they have beefed up the end thickness and added an extra layer of epoxy. I bolted my bar-ends on and no cracking, etc. that occurred with the CT2 (even with 1/2" brass couplings put in the ends). Light, and damps vibration well. I like the new graphics better too. I will put some time on them but already I am happy.

Similar Products Used: CT2, Scott LFX, many aluminum bars
Mike Rajewski   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2002]
Strength:

Light, dampens vibration, BEST warranty in the business, excellent customer support, plenty more too.

Nada

See my review of the CT2 Easton bar which I broke by overtightening it in my stem. I sent it to Easton, they inspected it, determined it was ALL MY FAULT and sent me a new EC70 for free. No way to beat that deal!! When installing, Easton recommends putting a small piece of loose-leaf paper around the bar where it meets the stem. Be sure not to have any "double thickness" sections of paper. This will keep the bar from rotating in your stem WHICH can lead you to over tightening your stem and cracking the bar like I did. They've tried everything and claim that simple paper works the best. Pay the money and get the best. It's money well spent...... ONCE :) Thanks Easton. You have a lifelong customer.

Si1ver   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight,strong ,good look

will chipped off if you are not careful when you are cutting it .

This is one of the lightest bar around with good strength.