Easton EA70 Monkey Rise Handlebar

Easton EA70 Monkey Rise Handlebar

Easton’s most popular and strongest aluminum riser bar,The EA70 combinesTheir proprietaryTaperWallTechnology withTheir high-performance EA70 aluminum alloy for a distinct weight and performance advantage. Proprietary EastonTaperWallTechnology Easton EA70 aluminum 31.8mm clamp 68.5cm wide 9deg sweep, 5deg upsweep Approximate weight 275 grams

[Dec 15, 2010]
Uly

Strength:

Light, Strong, Purrrrrrdy. Paint is soft to guard against chipping.

One of it's strengths is also its weakness. Since the paint is soft, anything you clamp on there will deface the paint easily.

This was the 2010 model. I liked everything about the bar except for the softness of the paint. Once you clamp something on there, you better hope that's where you really want it because if you move it, there will be an impression in the paint. If the clamp has sharp edges it may tear into the paint. This doesn't happen on bars with a harder paint finish but those bars can chip easily.

Truvativ, Deity

[Apr 08, 2010]
JOwens14

Strength:

Super lightweight for an aluminum bar, yet completely rigid with no flex. I've put it through some pretty hairy tests and it has shown no signs of flex.

Great bar for the money. Won't flex on you like many carbon bars and can be run for a variety of riding styles. Mine were too long for my use, but they're easy enough to cut down. I went w/ the oversized clamp diameter, but I'd imagine the 25.4 would be built with the same precision.

Race Face carbon, Titec, Specialized riser, Kore, etc.

[Apr 06, 2010]
Mr. Holmes

Strength:

Beefy, I'm sure it's plenty strong, relatively lightweight, looks good.

Relatively heavy (for a XC bike)

Great bar. I bought the 31.8 version of this by accident. At first I thought that was a little bit on the large side considering the fact that I have a XC bike. However, I decided to keep it. It's not too overweight and this way it can survive any crashes without bending or taking too much damage. That, and I also bought lighter bar ends and with that weight savings, the EA70 monkeybars equipped with Ritchey Wcs-SL bar ends weigh less than my original ea30 flatbar with dimension bar ends.
Oh, one last thing, I bought the 30mm rise. Also referred to as the "mid rise". 30mm is equal to 1.18 inches.

EA30 Flatbar, other generic riser handlebars

[Feb 09, 2010]
john1970

Strength:

Much more comfortable that the standard bar that came on my 2009 Dawg Deluxe. Personlly I prefer a more upright riding position and the angles on the bars fit me perfectly. At Jenson's price of $28 it was a steal.

A very comfortable bar if one is looking for a more upright riding position.

Stock Kona handlebars

[Jul 07, 2009]
Kealoha

Strength:

Relatively lightweight, great bend, perfect width

I fell in love with this bar on the first ride! This review is for the 2008 mid-rise version and is 27 inches wide with a 31.8 clamp section. It's 2 inches wider than my cut down enduro bar and that alone has made a difference. Handling is not twitchy anymore and now I can place my brake levers and shifters further in (Or grips further out...depends how you look at it)on the bar for optimal fit and single finger braking. Totally changes the feel of the bike for the better. Will buy another for my other bike for sure! Should fit the bill for all MTB riders out there...buy it, you won't be disappointed!

Specialized Enduro

[Apr 20, 2009]
fisher_rider05

Strength:

very stiff, controls great

bar is too wide

This is a very responsive handlebar with very little flex. I bent my last handle bar and decided to get this one. If you flip the bike upside down you can see the flex difference between the two handlebars. Great product.

bontrager sport

[Jul 16, 2008]
evanmm89
Downhiller

Strength:

So far soooooo good.

none that I see yet

A thousand times better then my stock handlebar that I bent in one fell swoop. These Monkey rise feel like they will stand the test of time. I gained a phenomenal amount of control after adding them and they have given me a new sense of confidence. I had no idea the extra length would make such a difference. I was skeptical of Easton, never buying a bike component made from them before. But know I’m sold.

[Mar 23, 2006]
Tom

Strength:

Strong, lightweight

none that I have noticed

This bike rides pretty light, but is set up to take a beating. These bars fit right in with the program. I actually had this bike set up single speed for a while. These bars are awesome for wrestling a single speed uphill. I had Ea50s on another bike. EA70s the same bars, only lighter and more expensive. I was afraid these might flex too much, but it hasn't been a problem. If you want to save a few bucks the 31.8 EA50s are also excellent.

EA50, Answer ProTaper

[Feb 26, 2006]
ramilcp

Strength:

Stiff, lightweight, wide, looks cool.

None. Maybe too wide?

A nice, wide riser that gives me plenty of leverage when cranking up the hills or carving single track (and they look cool, too). The bar may be too wide for some, but it can be trimmed to length. These aluminum bars flexes little and will transmit most of the bumps to your hands, so put on some comfortable grips. Take it FWIW because I use them on a rigid bike.

Syncros Riser, Performance SL140 flat bar, Performance ACT Carbon Bar

[Feb 28, 2006]
Rick

Strength:

Strong, it's an Easton

Too long for me, had shop cut it shorter though.

Good sturdy bar. You have to have strong, solid components on your front end, weight weenies will not like this one, but you can't beat the reliability.

many, flat and risers.