Easton CT2 Carbon Bar Handlebar

CT2 Carbon Bar

Michael Rajewski   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

Light, Strong, Vibration Dampening.... followed up by THE BEST WARRANTY IN MT. BIKING.

After several rides where the bar spun in my stem, I decided to get serious and crank it down. Needless to say, DON'T do this. I over-tigntened the stem and cracked the bar. Easton's I-net site directed me to Patrick Pillar at Valtec sports (they handle the warranties). I sent the bar to Patrick, they "inspected" it...determined I was a bone head and SENT ME A NEW BAR ANYWAY ! ! ! No, their products are not "cheap" to purchase but they are cheap to own over the long term. I HIGHLY recommend their products. Thanks ! ! ! You guys rock ! Let's see.......how do I give em SIX flamin chillies............

Michael Best   Racer [Oct 04, 2002]
Strength:

Super light and it looks great.

It has dented on the ends where I have my bar ends, which causes my barends to twist when I pull back on them super hard. Not a huge deal though.

Great handlebar. Carbon fiber is super strong. Plus it looks fabulous.

dustin   Cross Country Rider [Jan 29, 2002]
Strength:

looks tight if you take a close look at it
pretty light (125g for a 5 degree rise)
damps those vibrations

getting grips on SUCKS

this bar is a really great one, probably the best, if you wanna pay 70$. you can get an EA70 for 40 bucks and it is just as light, BUT IT DON'T DAMPEN THE VIBRATION! this bar mellows those jagged rocks and quick root hits that a lots of suspension wont even recognize as a hit. feels like a rolling glide over the rough stuff, while just as stiff as ANY aluminum. you want it. you know you do. so get the mutha.

Similar Products Used: easton ea70, bontrager race
Marko Blau   Racer [Jan 23, 2002]
Strength:

Very, very, very light

cracks on both sides of the stem clamb

First see a foto or a video of my broken monkey lite here (copy and paste the whole link):
DON'T BUY THESE HANDLEBARS!!! Mine now have two cracks on both sides of the stem clamb. I think its not caused by the clamb. It is a construction problem. The bars are made of two halfs I think, very weak. At least this construction is a problem when you mount the bars not horizontally. In this case you have greater loads on the seam where the two carbon halfs are bonded together. You might not see the cracks, put some white paint on the seam near the stem clamb and then push the bars down pretty strong, now the crack should open, if there is any and you'll see it because of the white paint.
Ok I rode this bars on a trials bike and jumped a lot but I'm not heavy, only 65 kg and rode the bars for only about 4 months. One other problem ist the bad roundness of the bars. THere is a roundness error of 0.5 mm. When you measure the diameter of the bar around it, then youll find a difference of 0.5mm between smallest and biggest diameter. Because of this youll damage the bars while tightening the brake levers (the pressure is not the same around the bar).
I'd say very, very bad manufacturing...

John   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2002]
Strength:

Durability, Lightweight, Appearance, Shock Absorption

Some flex (but absorbs the shock!), Short length.

Excellent Handlebar. Why would anyone use anything else? I was somewhat concerned when I bought it back in 99 about breakage at a 185lbs, but after 2+ years heavy use, several crashes and using long bar ends I have not had any problems. Excellent price considering its competition and overall value.

Similar Products Used: Answer, Profile, Stock Icon bar.
Terry Toste   [Sep 27, 2001]
Strength:

These bars are really comfortable. I usually break aluminum 120g bars, but not these.

If you are worried about putting barends on this bar, make sure you read Easton's note. It's not a problem. Do not and I mean DO NOT over tighten your barends. This will prolong the life of the bars.

Similar Products Used: none
Fritzman   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2001]
Strength:

Light, looks, *maybe* some absorption

Apparently, it can break.

Even though the bar broke on me last night, I still think it's a decent product. Would I ride on one again? No. My confidence in carbon has been lost forever. I actually sheared the entire right side of the bar off (up to the stem) while pulling *UP* for small rock face I wanted to wheelie on. Thank god it didn't happen while on a technical decent. I didn't over tightened the stem clamp as I've been able to twist the bar within my RaceFace SYStem on harder landings. I think the main problem is that carbon doesn't bend, it breaks, so no warning or limp-home mode is available.

Similar Products Used: Cheapie DH bar that came on another used bike
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Apr 13, 2004]
Strength:

4 years and 5K miles with no marks

These bars have been fabulous. I just took them off to put on some Monkey Lites and there isn't a mark on them from the Thomson stem or the Ritchey Shorty bar ends. They look as good as the day I bought them. These carbon fiber bars are the only way to go.

Similar Products Used: Aluminum bars
Lloyd   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2001]
Strength:

Light, strong, vibration dampening.

Wee bit spendy, could be a little wider.

Great handlebar! I have tried 4 - 5 different bar and stem combos and I think that this bar is a winner. I was never sure what people meant when they talked about "vibration dampening" before I rode this bar the first time. I don't use bar ends, so no issues with that. My only wish is that this bar was an inch wider - but that's probably because I switch back and forth between this 23" wide flat bar on my geared bike and the 26.5" riser I have on my singlespeed. Hands down, this is the best flat bar on the market.

Similar Products Used: Race Face hi-rise bar, Icon AL flat bar, Specialized Lo-rise.
Kenji   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight, shock absorbtion, cool looking, reliable, great bars, except...

No reinforced bar-end plugs. Gesh, you would think that as much $$$ you pay for this stuff, Easton would make it easier to clamp components to their products.

I love these bars. I've had them close to two years and haven't had any problems with them other than my bar-ends slipping.

I hate the fact that they don't come with a solid, light weight plug that can be used to reinforce the addition of bar plugs. For that reason these bars are over-priced.

For those that are having bar-end problems, you can find cheesey bar-end reinforcement plugs that provide enough support to tighten down your bar-ends. Best of all, they're made in Taiwan!