Bontrager Select Mtn Handlebar

Select Mtn

• Fabricated from 6061-T6 custom butted aluminum
  • 7 degree bend for comfortable hand positioning
  • Extra wide 600mm for extra leverage
  • Shot peened surface finish for increased fatigue life

• User Reviews (2)

Aaron Zyms   Weekend Warrior [Mar 22, 2006]
    Strength:

Nice and light. I won't ever worry that it might break. Decent for price, definitely a lot better than some cheaper stock ones, but this also comes stock on some Treks.

Stiff at times. Too wide for raod use and I think it is no good with regular MTB grips. Need some gel tape for this bar. Some bar ends don't tighten all that well on it.

I don't think it is worth it. Its wide for handling, but just doesn't handle well, kind of like badly made carbon fibers. I perfer bars of 460 to 480mm. Select was 500mm and a wrist killer.

Similar Products Used: Easton flat, Ritchey Pro
    OVERALL
    Sprocketeer   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2003]
    Strength:

Very comfortable, doesn't rattle at all, and it doesn't feel like an extra wide bar.

None. I'm very impressed, and that's given that I've had problems with Bontrager components disintegrating on me. Basically, if Bontrager makes it and it has no moving parts, it's an outstanding component.

Of the stock Bontrager components which came on my 2002 TREK 8000 I bought in April, this handlebar is one of the few that didn't need an upgrade--or more likely broke on me before I could even figure if I liked it or not.

Bontrager designs fantastic rims, bars, stems, saddles, and other non-mechanical parts, and this handlebar is one of them.

Before I picked up the bike, I decided to have the bars cut before riding it home the first time--especially since this handlebar is extra-wide while I am not--but when the shop guy asked me how much I wanted it cut I got on the bike, felt the handle and said to the guy waiting with the pipecutter, "Actually, this feels pretty good. If I want them cut later on will you still do it for no extra-charge?" He said yes, but I never had the bars cut. It's one of the few items that came on my bike that actually worked as advertised--"Race ready right out of the box."

Similar Products Used: I'm tempted to say,"Who cares! It's a friggin' handlebar!" but that would understate the importance of having a good handlebar and why having one like this Bontrager Select which gives me no problems whatsoever and is fairly light to boot is a load off my mind when it comes stock. (P.S. I can't really remember all the handlebars I've had, but this is the best so far).
    OVERALL