Answer ProTaper Carbon Handlebar

ProTaper Carbon

Answer Pro Taper XC Carbon Riser Bar: Proprietary, Advanced Carbon Composite (ACC) with damage tolerant lay-up for a maximum strength-to-weight ratio.

Jake Monk   Downhiller [Apr 04, 2011]
Strength:

Very very light and no flex or bendyness that I had from my old bars

Bought these off a mate with a stem for £43. A great, light bar withno flex or bend at all. Although, if you want some wide bars, these aren't the best. You do need to be careful not to over-tighten too

Similar Products Used: Outland D25Four 40mm rise
soccerdude   Weekend Warrior [Oct 18, 2010]
Strength:

Very light, reduced vibration, looks good.

None that I have noticed

Being 245 pounds I was worried that I'd break any brand of carbon bars within a week so I went with the cheapest brand I could find. Jenson had a sale on the 31.8 ProTaper bars so I jumped on them. A year later I've crashed lots of time and put the full force of my weight on them and they don't flex and much less move! Even caught a few trees with them an not a single crack or dent. Coupled with Ergon GP-1 grips they reduce vibration to nearly zero. I love these bars!

Similar Products Used: None
lebikerboy   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2010]
Strength:

Light, strong.

Not cheap?

Reduce vibration/weight as they are supposed to.

If you don't torque the bars to the correct spec
yes you will dent or crack them. Duh.

Similar Products Used: Easton Monkeybars, Funn bars, etc.
Fritz Lehr   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2006]
Strength:

Durable, light, price

None so far, except maybe wish they were a tad wider for more control at speed. I think carbon bars have a life span of about 2 years before you are supposed to replace them, but not sure.

I have owned a couple of carbon bars and I have had zero failures. I have had this bar for about 2 years now without any problems. I have take my bike off of 3-4 foot drops and I weigh about 200lbs. I don't know if I am lucky or if the reviewers on this product over-tightened their stuff on the bars. I typically run my shifters a little loose so when I crash they can move some rather than break. I know I can't go back to aluminum bars because they transmit every little vibration into your hands and wrist.

Similar Products Used: Carbon, Aluminum and Titanium bars
Rick   Racer [Mar 02, 2002]

this is a follow up to my last post. I e-mailed answer tech support about it, and you CAN indeed cut these bars. use a super fine bladed hacksaw (32 tpi or higher) and spray with water while you are cutting so they don't get hot. i whacked an inch off each side, and i like the ride much more.

Denis Joe   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2002]
Strength:

Dam light,absorbent to shocks,strong enough to do small drop offs

Can't be cut

If weight is an issue to u,the protaper carbon is the best xc handlebars which $ can buy,dam light and durable. CHEERS TO THE PEOPLE AT ANSWER FOR THEIR GREAT R&D!!!

Similar Products Used: Azonic PDW,Easton monkeylite
Albert   Racer [Feb 26, 2002]
Strength:

Light (150 gr) looks nice, strong

nothing

Great handlebar. very, very light .Great handlebar. very, very light .Great handlebar. very, very light

Similar Products Used: Syncros
Rick   Racer [Feb 13, 2002]
Strength:

LOW Weight, good vibration damping, good rise/bend
AWESOME Aesthetics

can't mount bar ends or cut

I like these bars because, being of BMX decent, I am partial to risers, but need light weight. These serve both purposes, and damp the vibration of chatter bumps and look cool to boot!! Time will tell if they pass the strength test.

Similar Products Used: Titec Hellbent XC, Numerous flat bars
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Dec 14, 2003]
Strength:

Super light

Couldn't have said it better, the product is weak.

I got lucky - the bar broke off just inside the brake/shifter as I mounted the bike. Could have been devastating if it happened while descending. I wouldn't expect a bar to fail with only 6 months of regular XC and lite FR. It is possible that I mounted the levers too tight, or there was a sharp edge that dug into the bar, who knows. Regardless, do you want a bar that you can't trust? I'll be going back to aluminum.

Similar Products Used: Kore lite, Easton Monkey lite, various cheap bars
Vivian   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2006]
Strength:

Very light, this model claimed wieght is 135 grams! For a riser bar very light. Good looks, vibration dampening catches what leftover vibes my talas fork does not. Wide enough and comfy.

comming from a alloy bar background, i was shocked at first at the flexyness. The light light bar carbon thickness is very thin. Thus 135 grams!

Paired with a 90 gram Ritchey wcs stem its a very light front end. Im not sure on the durabillity of carbon but so far so good.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey WCS flat bar, <-- love it at 124 grams, however it was short at 22 inches wide and not comfy. OEM Specialied heavy ars bar, reliable thick wall and works stiff as a bone.