WTB GTO Clamp-On Grip

GTO Clamp-On

The GTO combines muscular, large knobs with a wide diameter. At 33mm in diameter, it isTheThickest grip inThe WTB line, providingThe perfect point of contact for riders with large hands. 33mm outer diameter, great for people with large hands 137mm wide Includes bar plugs Approximate weight 119 grams Includes all hardware Sold as a pair(quantity of "1" includes left and right grip)

picassomoon   Cross Country Rider [Nov 02, 2010]

Weak. Mine are torn up where my hands rest on them. The grip pattern is worn right down to bare rubber or torn off after only three months of normal riding. They are shredded at the ends. The bar ends fell off and got lost within a couple weeks, didn't stay in very tightly. The material is very soft and squishy, which seems to only reduce the durability without making them more comfortable.

The lock on clamps have a very annoying design, you need two allen wrenches at once to tighten or loosen them. I found it very easy to accidentally drop one of the tiny bolts. The clamps are a pain to work with on the shifter/brake lever end of the bar since one of the two needed wrenches is always in the way.

I bought these because WTB advertises them for riders with bigger hands. I did not find the size of the grip to be any better than the stock grips from Trek/Bonty, they didn't fit my big hands any better than any other grip. With all the durability problems, I would not buy these again or recommend to anyone else.

I have been happy with saddle and rim purchases from WTB, and I know their tires enjoy a good reputation. However I'll probably stick with Lizard Skins for grips, since the ones on my hard tail have held up great. I'm swapping the stock grips from Trek back on in place of these WTB's for now.

Similar Products Used: Lizard Skins grips. Stock Trek and Specialized grips.