Oury Grips Grip

Grips

Sometimes the things we appreciate most, remind us of our youth. This is true of Oury Mountain Grips. They have a long history of use for Motocross and BMX. If you grew up torn between mashing pedals or twisting a throttle grip, then having them on your mountain bike is akin to warping back in time to the days of old when you had fewer worries and nothing to do but have two-wheeled fun all day long.Oury Mountain Grips have a blocked design that's as comfy as it gets in a round grip. Known for being durable, we think the basic design adds to their ability to last for years. The wide range of color choices is great for those who like to add some flair to their rides. Just try to remember to get home in time for dinner.

seat_boy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2014]
Strength:

The look sorta cool.

The slip on the bars, even with hairspray.
They're junk.

This is the worst grip I've ever used.

Actually, this is one of the worst cycling products I've ever used, in over 20 years of riding.

I normally use cheap, generic grips (Performance brand, etc), and have had no issues. However, for my latest build, I spent 2x as much on some new Oury grips, because, well, all the punters seem to like them. On my demo ride they seemed OK, but after a half mile on the trail, they started rotating, then my right hand completely shot off the bars, still holding the grip. I finished that lap riding without grips. It was a big improvement.

When I got home, I borrowed some of my wife's hairspray (which I've never had to use before, ever). But even so, a day later, they're as slippery as ever. I supposed I could use 3M spray adhesive, but I want to be able to remove my grips periodically to change up my handlebar setup.

Junk.

Similar Products Used: Cheaper, better rubber grips.
Futurehelmet   All Mountain Rider [Feb 18, 2013]
Strength:

Soft and grippy - look rad... totally eliminate vibration from trails. No more wrist pain... seriously... I used to get a carpal tunnel syndrome type thing on long bumpy descents, but the oury grips have helped a lot.

Freakin awesome. No experience with losing grip in the wet, but I wear gloves... gloves are good...

If any - the ends have torn after a few drops and they get a bit ratty looking occasionally (but clean very easily, after riding in the rain, they look new)

I love the fatness, the way they make me feel like I'm riding my old BMX in the late 80's and the affordability. I would happily spend the 15 bucks to replace them... but in five years I haven't had to.

A tip for installing, spray a bit of hairspray inside the grip and slide them on... in a day or so they will be stuck good.

Brian   [Jan 01, 2013]
Strength:

Inexpensive
Phat
Comfortable
Durable

I've had a difficult time installing these at times...specifically getting them to "stick" to the handlebar (even with AquaNet). I've also used the Lock On variety for that reason.

Great grips. Very comfy!

LandSpeed   Cross Country Rider [Aug 05, 2012]
Strength:

Large size

1. The bar end ring interferes with gripping the entire bar.
2. When these get wet from sweat or rain, they LOSE complete gripping ability, and get SLICK. Your hand WILL come off in dangerous sections of trail. It's irresponsible of the company to use a rubber compound that's cheap that is prone to doing this.
3. They will occasionally get water locked inside of the grip, and start to spin on the bars.

It's a cheap grip that fails disasterously when the conditions are wet, or you're hands are sweating. It's downright dangerous. I would avoid these grips at all costs unless you like your hands coming off of the bars when you're in rock gardens. Avoid.

OxBow Facility   Cross Country Rider [Mar 14, 2012]
Strength:

Grip. Appearance (at first). Inexpensive.

Appearance (after a few months). Not a lock-on grip.

Got the red ones for my commuter bike that I was decking out all in a black and red color scheme. They looked awesome at first but after a couple of months got gunky, sticky, and gross looking. The rubber of the grips was rubbing off and leaving black gunk like a pencil eraser. But they were still super grippy so I used them about a year before I go sick of how gross they looked (and felt on bare hands). I use lock-on grips only now because I got sick of what a pain in the butt it is to install/remove traditional grips.

Similar Products Used: Lock- on grips.
Donziz20   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2012]
Strength:

I bought Oury Road grips for my Bmw k1200GT with heated bars. These grips worked great!!
Great cust service from Oury!!!

I would reccomend these grips on any motorcycle. No vibration at all.

Crusty1207   All Mountain Rider [Feb 15, 2012]
Strength:

Awesome grip, tackiness, last forever.

Nothing really!

These grips are the best grips I have ever used. They have outlasted every other pair I've had by several years. I have them on all three of my bikes. I bought my first pair 6 years ago and my newest pair about 3 years ago and they both still look brand new. They are thick and soft and absorb shocks and bumps while providing excellent grip. I've never had a problem with them being wet, with or without gloves. I won't ever use another set.