Odi Grips Lock Jaws Grip

Odi Grips Lock Jaws Grip

Four anodized aluminum clamps for long lasting performance five 2.5mm bolts one 2.5 allen wrench The Lock Jaws work with all grips in the Lock On Grip system.

[Jun 12, 2008]
sjpendleton

Strength:

Stays Puts, Strong

Expensive

This is a great grip system. The clamps are easy to install and stay put, the grips are comfortable. The only downside is that it's expensive, but considering how much longer these tend to last than cheaper grips, I think it evens out in the long run.

[Jun 10, 2003]
jeff
Downhiller

Strength:

solid solid solid. easy to take on and off

expensive, soft bolts

These grips are dope. Sure the bolts will strip if you over-tighten them. They're TINY. If you're not a ham-fisted mechanic, you should have no problems getting these tight (Note to ham-fisted mechs: the air wrench and sledge you use on the rest of your components won't work here! :). I've been using the same pair for over two years and it's just about time to replace em. If you ride in technical conditions, or race DH, there is nothing like these grips to increase your confidence. They just feel solid.

Yeti, Onza, Oury, Specialized, Kona, Axiom, you name it.

[Mar 03, 2002]
Sven

Strength:

Easy to install and remove, no hair spray, WD-40 etc. needed. They stay where you put 'em. Easy to get to other parts on the h-bar.

Not a great selection of grip styles (SRAM compatible anyways),

Finally, SRAM compatible grips for the Lock Jaw system. This is what I had been waiting for. Simple to install and remove vs. old system. No more: hair spray, utility knives, screwdrivers (that sometimes puncture soft grips)compressed air or any other neandrathalic methods! I wish this concept was available years ago. A bit expensive to set up for the first time, especially with multiple bikes but worth the investment in ease of use (mechanically) and reliability (no twisting on the bar). Installed on Easton Carbon bar and I don't get the impression that it is harming the material in any way.

Pretty well all the other grips on the market.

[Feb 13, 2002]
mountaincat

Strength:

EZ on, EZ off. Stay put when you are on the trail. These are the first grips I've ever had that I can say that about.

The Rogue grips wear quickly due to the soft rubber grips.

These are revolutionary grips - I'll be replacing the rubber soon, but for $12, the price of new rubber is more than worth it. I couldn't ask more - I even like the grip pattern on the Rogue grips.

Onza grips,

[Feb 06, 2002]
Steve Young

Strength:

Ease of fit. Good wide grip.

Allen bolts not entirely smooth under tightening.

I bought these when I had to change my handlebars (crash damage) and couldn't face the rigmarole of going through the spit, hairspray etc etc routine yet again.

I bought the ruffians - so far only have about 4 hours riding time but they are comfortable and have a good width. My hands are big and I have bar ends- using the previous grips the control area was a little cramped although I hadn't fully realised previously.

On fitting the ODI's I found that I was much more comfortable on longer rides - especially on long down hill sections under braking (I'm not used to these in England where I originate) - my hands have stopped cramping up and I find that my forearms are less sore the following day.

The real bonus is in the fitting though - once I had cut the old grips off the hard work was over - the ODI's slip smoothly and easily onto the handlebars and it was easy to position them precisely and simply tighten. When I took off the old grips I found that the old bars were significantly scored underneath where they had been levered on with a small screwdriver - the ODI's prevent any such problems. In fact they arguable increase your safety margin - with lightweight alu bars any scoring might be considered to increase the risk of breakage (although in my case as I hit a tree it's hard to blame the kit :)

The ODI's may be marginally heavier but I find it hard to believe the extra few grams make a difference to anyone - certainly not me - I usually carry 2-3 litres of water so any other weight pales into insignificance).

The clamps may not be compatible with carbon bars ? - I had to tighten them down fairly hard to secure and would be worried about carbon. However they're excellent with alu or Ti.

They may be a bit more expensive but I suspect that they will make up for this in extended life during removal replacement - they are easy to remove so less liklihood of damage and early retirement. I would pay more for the ease of application anyway - excellent value and top product

Specialised S-works, GT

[Jan 08, 2002]
Chris

Strength:

Locks on and doesn't let go. If you want them off, you won't find another product that lets go easier. On rough terrain the feel is confidence.

Allen key bolts, if you lose one it's hard to find another.
When only one jaw is holding on, it doen't hold for long.

I like this product very much but the bolts aren't easy to find, if ODI could find another type of bolt and a little bigger so that if you drop one when removing it from the package, you don't loose it.
I've looked in all my local shops and no one carries a bolt that size and seing them in a new package is just so fustrating.....
If you're looking for the best, you've found it. If you don't have back up allen key bolts lying arround, be very careful or you end up using the airspray and chicken wire all over again.

[Jan 04, 2002]
Leo

Strength:

Easy on and off.
Excellent customer service.

Stripped a bolt.

I stripped a bolt from careless use, but I emailed ODI and they sent me four replacement bolts promptly along with two stickers and a catalog. Wow, excellent customer service. I thought they were pricey, but definitely worth it now. No more grief from removing grips and lifetime warranty is an actual lifetime warranty.
I wish they made their attack grips in lock on style. They're my all time favorite grips.

wtb, attack, and specialized s-works.

[Dec 20, 2001]
John

Strength:

Won't slip when went. Stays put. Allows easy replacement of shifters/brake levers wout ruining grips.

None I can think of

I always had a problem with grips slipping on me when riding in the rain/mud/wet/icky weather. These don't slip. Nothing worse than pulling up for a log jump and having the grip slip off the bar. These don't have that problem. The little clamp bolts have never loosened on me. As for the lock-on grips, I've tried the YETI, Bontrager, Rogue and Ruffian models. The YETI were good - very "sticky", but the lettering/cushiness wore off, and you only had one position for the grips, so they wore out more quickly than those which can be rotated. Bonty are ok, a little thin, but still comfy. Ruffian are VERY thin - very little cushion - not for me [I ride with leather palm non-padded gloves]. Rogue are perfect. Thicker like OURY [not quite a squishy], but stay put. You can periodically rotate the grips side/side and twist 'em to increase lifetime. Only once after 3 months of summer riding did I have a problem: the grips were sweat-salt bonded to the handlebar. ICK! Ended up ruining the lockon clamps to remove em [with a hammer and screwdriver]. I recommend removing/cleaning inside grips periodically to avoid this problem.

Normal rubber grips

[Aug 08, 2002]
Chris H

Strength:

Good grip feel, easy to get on and off, just plain works.

Heavier than "normal" slip-on grips.

Yeah, they're heavier. BFD. These grips feel good and stay in place and come right off when you want them to. Just remember that these are small screws and you don't need to do like most self-proclaimed bike mechanics and apply as much torque to these as your crank bolts and you'll be *fine*.

I've run the rogue grips, didn't like them as much as the Yeti grips. The Yetis have a smaller profile and feel like they've got better traction from all the logos. Gonna try the Ruffian grips next.

other "normal" grips

[Oct 02, 2001]
bill

Strength:

Cool concept. Grips don't move.

The grip treads are weak.

I had these grips for 2 weeks and 4 of the little triange treads peeled right off w/o much effert at all. Returned them to my LBS and glued on some generics.

generic stuff