Grab-On Foam MTB Grip

Sold as a pair.

alex   Cross Country Rider [Dec 29, 2013]
Strength:

Comfortable, durable, nonslip, inexpensive. Can be easily cut to size if you need a shorter grip.

Can be a bit difficult to get on and off but doable. Hairspray to install, alcohol to remove.

Yes, they are still made, and still available in 2013 I purchase them on the internet, including amazon. I've been using these for years for singletrack riding. I've tried others but I always come back to these as the very best.

Similar Products Used: All kinds of rubber, etc.
GONZALEZ LUIS   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2006]
Strength:

The best grip you can find on the market.

You can feel the diference in the first minute of the raid.

You can ride all day long and you feel your hands perfectly. No numbness etc....

You can install the grip with alcohol (90 deg)and the grip stay in the handelbar strongly.

The feeling of the grip is totally different with the other grips in the market.

Similar Products Used: All the grips in the market.
Julian   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent Shape
Great Comfort
Logn Lasting

Can't find them any more

This pair of grips is now on my third Mountain Bike in 11 years. They have outlasted every other component I have purchased for any of my bikes and they are still the most comfortable grip I have used. I tried some others over the years like the ODI's but the Grab-On's kept finding there way back to my handlebars. The grips are great for cross country riders or recreationalists who don't want to wear gloves. I especially like the flared end for pushing against in a corner.

Similar Products Used: nothing compares
Jason Lampitt   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2001]
Strength:

Outstanding support for hands and shock/vibration damping. Helps minimize fatigue.

*IF* you don't glue or hair spray 'em down they tend to get twisty on you when riding in heavy rain.

Use 'em!!! I can't believe that more riders do not use these grips. They were very popular in the late 80's/early 90's and then disappeared almost overnight!

Gone but not forgotten!

The company (Grab On) still exists and they still manufacture the grips as well as motorcycle grips. My favorite, the Mountain-2 style is still the best in my book.

Help revive an American favorite... buy Grab On!

Grab On Grips
100 North Avery Street
P.O. Box 2276 - (not sure if P.O. Box is needed?)
Walla Walla, WA 99362
(509) 529-9800

Similar Products Used: None: Really hate any other kind of handle bar grip because there's no support.
Craig   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 29, 1999]
Strength:

Long
Lots of hand positions
Cushiony (is that a word?)

If they get wet, they stay wet.

I use the road bike Grab On grips on a Scott AT-3 bar for off road touring. Works great.

Similar Products Used: Stock GT grips
Shockee   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 1999]
Strength:

grippy, stays put, light, smooth for riding w/o gloves

difficult to remove and re-use

I grew up using grab-on grips and still like them. They stick on well with hair spray and never slide around. I wish there was a fatter version for my large hands, though. Grips are not a big concern for me, but these have worked well for me. I used to ride and race without gloves and thus appreciate the smooth surface. I wish they would come off as easily as they go on, though.

Similar Products Used: rocky mtn grips, odi, oakley bmx
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2005]
Strength:

Light weight, comfortable, slip free, re-usable, cheap and last a long time.

Shops don't seem to want to keep them in stock.

My two bikes have them and I'm about to buy a third set for my new bike. I'm going to have to mail order them though because the shop that actually turned me on to them is having problems getting them in Canada now. I didn't think they'd last longer than a year but I've had them on one bike for greater than five years now and they're still doing great!
If you're looking for these grips a few boutique online stores carry them.

Similar Products Used: specialized grips, and a few other grips
Grabon Fan   [Apr 17, 2004]
Strength:

Perfect for those that ride without gloves (work fine with gloves, too). Hands don't slip on them, still work great when the get wet, material doesn't bottom out, no irritating surface protrusions, (especially on the MTN 1 model)

Lost favor in the mind of the public because of crappy knock-offs (that are, other than looks, not at all similar to the real thing). Thought they were gone for good, but alas!: http://www.grabongrips.com/ or http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/

Spread the word on these long lost treasures and they might become more widely available!

Similar Products Used: nothing really compares to these!
Blake Johnston, M.D.   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2002]
Strength:

I've used these grips on my motorcycle, quad, and (would have used) on my MTB. Problem is that I cannot find them anymore. I have a set on my quad but they are 5 years old and I havn't seen them since........

They'll dry out if you store your machines in the sun or inclimate weather. They also tear easily. Avoid both and the grips will last a long time considering they are sponges.

If I find these grips again, I'll use them. Same grips I had on my BMX Redline in 1977!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Practically used them all my life.