Ergon GX1 Grip

GX1

Ergon GX-1 Grip Black: Optimal pressure distribution on the palm prevents soreness and numbness. Angle of support is easily adjustable.

Bridger   All Mountain Rider [Dec 23, 2012]
Strength:

Great for long rides
Once set up very comfortable

Bolts strip easily

I have had these grips for three years now. What I can say is once you get them set up. They are probably the best grips for long distance riding. They keep wrists from getting sore very well. However if your a downhill riding I don't recommend them. Finally I wish they would make a better bolt. I barely over tightened and have stripped two of them.

bgfthntr   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortable
Light
Great Color
Protect the Ulnar Nerve

None so far

I've been using GP-1 grips for 2 years on both my Full Suspension and SS. They essentially have been able to keep me riding because on 12 years and running problems with my ulnar nerves. They work period and the GX1 are even more comfortable. My wife has GP1's on her old Tek hybrid and loves them. Yes they are a bit pricey but well worth it. The GX1 grip pattern is much more defined and better grip is attained. Highly Recommended.

Similar Products Used: GP1
Specialized BG Grips
Vasiliyg   Cross Country Rider [Aug 14, 2012]
Strength:

some additional comfort to your hands when sited, but only after you set them to a comfortable position, which may require some extra time.

1. starts rotating on a carbon handlebar. I used carbon fiber grease, but still it kept rotating under load.
2. I broke two clamping bolts while installing - my torque wrench was set even to less torque that was recommended. Shop warranty replaced me grips and second time I used third-party bolts.
3. Heavy weight - not for weight saving. Mine was 132g pair.

I thought I'd get additional comfort for long rides while sacrificing weight, but it did not work. Not so much comfort in fact over ordinary grips. And another point is that my hands got wet without gloves with these grips. Also, you should not get problems with installation for that pricy product.
One extra chilli for nice look and color though ))

PeT   [Apr 26, 2012]
Strength:

Work well as long as you are in the one position on the bike for which they were set up for.

As soon as you stand, move forward, move back -- then they're a pain. Also worthless for single speeding if you need to ever get out of the saddle

As long as I was seated and rolling along, they felt okay. But if you're in rough terrain and moving around on the bike (behind the saddle downhill, on the nose of the saddle uphill, standing up to sprint or grunt uphill) then the grip was no longer positioned appropriately for my hand -- lose grip and control. Yeah, comfortable enough if you're just planted in one place in the saddle, not at all comfortable if you need to do something that requires some body english...

BmoreKen   All Mountain Rider [Mar 12, 2012]
Strength:

Helps alleviate pinky numbness, hand numbness

hmmm...?

Works well in alleviating hand numbness. The added "wings" took a little getting used to for riding technical terrain (Mid-Atlantic singletrack: rock gardens, logs, roots, choopy downhills, etc.), but you adapt and now I don't even give it a second thought. With Ourys, you can wrap your fingers around, but with the Ergons you cannot but you adjust and now no loss in feel/performance.

Similar Products Used: Oury lock-ons, Salsa chili pepper grips,
phlegm   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2011]
Strength:

Very light, can mitigate numbness issues, responsive customer service.

Original 3mm bolts for clamps, expensive relative to other grips.

Agree that installations on carbon bars will require an assembly paste/grip. Even though documentation stated 4mm bolts, the included clamps were 3mm and not up to the task. After multiple adjustments (you'll want to ride and find the most comfortable angle - takes a few attempts), one of the bolt heads snapped off well before I hit the 5Nm torque setting. Ergon (US) shipped replacement clamps to me quickly, and these had a different 4mm bolt. Replacements are perfect.

Note that these grips are not a solution to a bad bike fit - get a proper fit done, then add these grips for an extra bit of comfort.

dubdryver   Racer [Mar 10, 2011]
Strength:

Great comfort, Great design, fairly light!

Original clamps (on one pair)

I have bought 5 pairs of these grips so far, 2 are on my bikes (SS and SS), one pair bought for my dad, and 2 pairs given out as B-Day presents to friends. I really like the feel and comfort of these grips. I really didn't know what I was missing before these! My past experience w/ "winged" grips was many years ago when they were extra chunky and created problems with reaching the shifters. After reading that they have a very low profile design to address this problems, I thought "well its been 6yrs..." I was sold! They really alleviate how much you have to grip the bar, which reduces hand fatigue and numbness later down the trail.

The only problem I have had was interfacing them w/ Salsa Carbon bars, and I could not get the clamp to lock onto the slick clearcoat of the carbon. I was having to go well past the recommended 6nm and one of the bolts broke. I should have known better, and used carbon paste :( I had to buy 2 new clamps, and the odd thing is the replacement clamps came with bolts that were a fill size bigger, and definitely stronger looking. My guess is that they were aware of the problem, and instead of recalling thousands of grips...just coerce everyone into buying new clamps...dunno, just speculating. Mounting them to aluminum bars, and my Truvativ Carbon bars were no problem...so I am guessing it was just those bars. Either way, I won't knock the grip for that fault..after all, I did exceed the recommended torque. So if you notice slipping, get some carbon paste, it may fix the problem!

Similar Products Used: ESI Racers Edge/Chunky, Crank Bros. Cobalt XC, Answer Fall Line Lock-on, Yeti Racers
joeinchi   Weekend Warrior [Sep 21, 2010]
Strength:

Great feel, ergo benefits, comfort, grippy

A little pricey

Great product! I do fitness rides on some pretty harsh roads and these grips eliminate ANY soreness or numbness. My bike has a relatively agressive geometry which means I'm stretched out a bit and leaning forward (not upright). With my old, stock grips, I'd develop soreness around the thumb joints from all this weight but the flatter, elevated platform provided by the GX1's spreads this weight across the entire palm. Bingo!

Also, I have smaller hands (mens 8) and the GX1 is a perfect fit. I don't have a problem one-finger braking (I simply adjusted the lever reach and angle) and the grippy surface works great with bare hands. No gloves required!

I tried the WTB version and, while it is also a nice product, it's about an inch wider than the Ergon grips. The extra length pushed the shifter too far away from my fingers for easy operation. They also have an inboard "collar" and mounting bolt which come into contact with the shifters and prevented correct positioning. Too bad because I like WTB's stuff.

In terms of comfort, I just did a 20-mile charity ride, on and off the bike for SIX HOURS, and the GX1's performed as advertised. No numbness or soreness and they felt very secure whether on the flats, climbing or doing +30 mph downhill blasts.

As mentioned, getting the set up just right takes some trial and error. But the exceptional feel, security and comfort provided by the GX1's definitely make it worth your while.

Similar Products Used: WTB Comfort Zone
Varaxis   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2010]
Strength:

Cool green color, extra support for wrist

Need to reconfigure cockpit for hand position change, hard to set up perfectly

These are the most expensive grips I've ever bought. I bought into the ergonomic gimmick and feel that they make my riding performance worse. Unless you have sensitive wrist issues, don't bother. I'll keep riding them for now, but I would not recommend them or buy them again.

According the the manual, you want to set it up roughly level to the ground. With the paddle higher, your hand slips downward; with the paddle lower, it feels closer to a normal grip.

I find that my hand is further back with the Ergon, meaning that it's more difficult to reach the brake levers. I no longer feel safe doing 1-finger braking on long descents, since my finger tires out sooner and 2-finger braking kind of leaves my hands loose on the grip. On the bright side, even if I wanted to "death grip", this probably wouldn't let me, I think.

Similar Products Used: ODI Rogue Lock-On, Oury, ESI Chunky, stock grips
nickburton60   Racer [Apr 25, 2010]
Strength:

Super comfortable, good clamp WHEN INSTALLED RIGHT. Comes in team green color (sweet lime green)

None at all, well maybe just the time it takes to find your personal sweet spot.

Alot of people are saying they wont clamp on carbon bars but they are not installing them right. ANYTHING CARBON FIBER THAT IS CLAMPED MUST HAVE FIBERGRIP ON IT! Fiber grip is not grease, its a gritty compund you can get online or at any good bike shop. Any good shop would know that, also in order to get the proper tourqe setting all bolts must be greased to reduce friction so the get to their true tourqe setting instead of tourqing out early because of the friction from the dry bolt. This is why it is important to have knowledgable bike mechanics do work on your bike. THERE IS NO REASON FOR ANYTHING CARBON OR ANYTHING ON CARBON TO SLIP OR TWIST IF YOU USE FIBERGRIP AND PROPERLY TOURQE IT.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey lock-ons, Specialized lock-ons, Oury grips, cheap stock stuff robbed from my many other bikes.