Crank Brothers Cobalt Grip

Crank Brothers Cobalt Grip

Crank Brothers now make lock on grips with a replaceable foam sleeve. 130mm length.

[May 25, 2012]
GP Niner

Strength:

lightweight

a lot

These are okay but nothing special. You do have to tighten above the recommend tork setting. The end caps don't fit my Niner carbon handle bar, so a little modifing had to be done. Sure there are better grips out there. I mainly bought them since CB has always made quality parts and the color looks sick on my bike.

[Apr 06, 2012]
highsierrabear

Strength:

They look nice.

Fragile, flimsy, weak.

Can't get them to lock in place without exceeding torque specs (on an Easton carbon bar with carbon friction prep). Even tightening 1/8 turn at a time and testing grips to make sure they were secure, I still stripped one of the plastic lock rings (with almost no tightening torque). The other lockrings feel like they could break at any time, too.

Also They came with 4 bar end plugs (weird since you only need 2). The bar end plugs are brittle plastic and three of them broke on installation no matter how gentle I was!

Going back to my old, reliable ODI grips.

Terrible, weak, flimsy design. Avoid.

(FYI, I'm no overtightening gorilla. Former shop mechanic, with loads of wrenching experience.)

[Aug 09, 2011]
GIJosh84

Strength:

Reasonably priced, comfortable, won't slip and slid around on bars

The end caps needed modified to fit into CRANKBROTHERS carbon bars. End Caps where unusable with stock Giant bars when I was using them.

Happy with these grips. My stockers were sliding around on the bars and that was on of the chief reasons for me to replace them as these can be tightened as needed....but also immediately noticed my hands were far less fatigued after riding then they would have been with the stock rubber Giant grips. Grips shaved approximately 57 grams off too as a bonus.