Bontrager Grips Grip

Bontrager Grips Grip

Bontrager Grips

[Jul 06, 2001]
lo_dee

Strength:

?

The bar plugs don't stay put, poor wear, uncomfortable during long rides.

These grips felt great in the shop, but once on the bike for over an hour, the uneven design puts too much pressure on different parts of the wrist. They also wore out extremely fast (less than 3 months) considering the cost. My stock grips were 10 times better. Recently went with Titec Pork Rinds, 22 gms/pair. High density foam absorbs when it needs to, otherwise good firm grip.

Titec Pork Rinds

[Jul 20, 1999]
Nick
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

The end plugs

Moto grip really easily

I don't like these grips at all. With my Coda grips I get out the air hose and blow them on and they stay in place in any conditions but the Bontrager grips were harder to put on and moto gripped all over the place. I didn't use hair spray though but a good quality pair of grips like the Coda you don't have to cus their so tacky and with an air hose blow on with relative ease. Best part about the Coda's is they've yet to show any signs of wear. I doubt the bonti's can say that. Sorry guys... I'm only giving them 1. Mostly for the paw print end caps.

Coda Weave grips

[Dec 24, 2000]
Jeff

I have the ergo style grips and I love them. They are very comfortable, not to soft and not too hard. They are raised in the center to so they fit the shape of your hand better. The styling is cool and the grip is nice. Usually you need to spray something between the grip and bar so the grips done slip, such as hairspray. Bottom line, GREAT GRIPS.

Used up my GT stock grips up(those were nice too but not as nice as the Bontrager grips), Yeti, Specialized stock grips

[May 19, 1998]
Wild Boy
weekend warrior

They came with my Gary Fisher bike. No complains abt them. They work fine & they don't pretend what they aren't. I have rather small hands for a guy, and these grips are just perfect for me. If you don't like your handle bars to look too ornamental, these are the grips for you.

[May 03, 2001]
Scott

Strength:

Thin, durable, stick to bar when spray painted on no matter how wet

None (well, they wear out faster than chunky grips, of course)

The single compound grips are the best I've tried, I can't seem to find them anymore.

Yeti, Specialized

[Sep 29, 2000]
Kevin

Strength:

- Comfortable (not too firm, not too soft)
- Ergonomic design

Not available in all black, only black/red or black/grey

The grips that I just purchased are not the ones that are stocked in most bike shops. The ones that I purchased are called "Ergo", and I had to have them special ordered.

The grips that I had on my bike where a little too firm, and I would feel some pain after long rides (I know, I should be wearing gloves, but I just can't bring myself to do it on hot days). With these grips, problem solved. The ergonomic grip feels good too (they are slightly raised in the center to match the curve of the palm of your hand).

I have not experienced any slipping like some of the other reviewers mentioned. Of course I sprayed the bar and the inside of the grips with hair spray before putting them on which I strongly recommend for any grips.

Bottom Line: If you're not 100% satisfied with your current grips, give these a try. For $12, you can't go wrong. You can even give them a try at a bike dealer, since they come standard on most of the higher-end Trek bikes.

Trek standard issue grips

[Sep 09, 2000]
mike

Strength:

Look good , end caps, not too pricey

Twist alot, and are a little too thin.

OK grips for the money, but they will start to slip after about a days riding.

Final thought: Get Yeti hardcore lock-ons. Sorry boys.

Serfas grips, stock grips.

[Jul 24, 1999]
mtb_411

Strength:

-Good control over handlebar

-Wear out super fast
-Too thin for rough riding

I found that they wore out way too fast. They are not as sticky as others but they do give you a super control over the bar because they are so thin. I guess I'm just not the rider style for these grips.

-Louis Garneau

[Mar 17, 1999]
Jimbeau
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Small; grippy; effective

Difficult to remove

This review is for the Dual Density grips::::I'd been using Ourys for so long it took me several hours to get accustomed to these grips -- they are much smaller and firmer. It felt like I had to re-learn how to hold the bars. These grips provide great ahhhhh---grip. Even though they are smaller and have less cushion then the Ourys, they work better; it takes less effort to maintain strong solid control. I'm surprised I like them as much as I do. Another great Bontrager product.

Oury; GT; Pedros

[Dec 01, 1998]
Tyler
cross-country rider

I got a new pair of Bonty grips with the hard inner (to prevent slippage) and soft outer (for comfort) and they are great. The ones I had on there before were just too thick and squishy for me. I love the overall feel of these grips because they really are locked in place. They just feel like a natural extension of the bike. I would recommend them to anyone that has a problem of their grips twisting around. I give 'em a big fat high five.