Thomson Elite Covert Dropper Seatpost

Thomson Elite Covert Dropper Seatpost

[Jul 22, 2017]
Dan
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Light and solid performer. I had a LEV before and this one is way better. I did have to replace the cable after about a year and a half of riding and it was super easy. Way easier that the LEV. If this thing ever dies, I'm going out and getting another one.

Expensive.

I read the other posts on this dropper and was a little surprised. Maybe they're rougher than me on stuff or got bad ones but mine has been flawless. I clean it once in a while and that's been it.

LEV

[Sep 19, 2016]
Bryan
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

When it's not snapping cables every 15 minutes, its action and operation are nice. Build quality is good. Thomson customer service is excellent (wish the post itself was as good!).

Snaps cables CONSTANTLY. Better purchase derailleur cables by the box full (literally), since a new cable lasts for approximately five rides before it snaps. This usually happens after a multi-hour FS road climb to reach near-endless downhill singletrack bliss..which you'll now be walking most of since your post is stuck jacked up in full-on XC climber mode.

Lever action is stiff. To start. This progresses to snap-you-thump-off levels as your ride total progresses towards the cable snap threshold.

I've been disappointed by a number of products in the last twenty years of riding, but none so much as the Thomson Covert. Seriously. I've been riding various Thomson components for years and all have exceeded my expectations; they were always expensive, but worth it. The Covert changes all that. It's overpriced and, as far as my experience with two identical posts on two different bikes speaks, wouldn't be worth the trouble of owning at 1/3rd the cost.

Buy this posts if you want to constantly be worried about when your most recent new cable is going to snap, enjoy buying derailleur cables by the crate, and/or want to give your lever thumb the workout of its life. If you just want to concentrate on riding, steer clear.

Gravity Droppers, KS Lev

[Jun 30, 2016]
Kootbiker
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Looks nice

Poor quality, creaks at seat attachment

Same as the previous post but mine lasted 8 months

[Feb 28, 2015]
Zoltan Pinter
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

No side to side movement. Smooth operation.

Flawless only for a few months. Only Thomson "can" service it.

I owned it for about 8 months/700miles . I weigh about 165lbs. It was flawless for the first 4 months , no up and down play or side to side movement , smooth and quiet , takes a bit of patience to install. Around 450 miles started to sag about 1/8" ,no biggie.
6-7 months into it had about 1/4" up/down play.Sent it back to Thomson ,they "fixed" it and came back to me with more play and a bit of noise during rise. Now during a ride it has a pogostick action going on (and about 1/4"- 5/16"), however still no side to side play. Also if your cable ever breaks the default setting is at full extention so you can still pedal home if need to. If I had to do it again I'd buy smthing cheaper and buy couple nice tires with the leftover money perhaps.