Specialized Command Post BlackLite Dropper Seatpost

Specialized Command Post BlackLite Dropper Seatpost

We designed the Command Post BlackLite to have three consistent—and most importantly—repeatable saddle height positions. This is crucial for riders and racers who demand the ability to quickly toggle between optimum climbing and descending body positions.

[Mar 10, 2015]
Benbow

Strength:

Light

leaky seals, horrible warranty

I have been riding my Command post for 7 months since it came spec'd on my Enduro. Since day one I have had issues with it holding air, and the LBS has replaced the valve and serviced it a few times. Finally it just went back to Specialized for (what I thought would be covered under warranty) replacement or rebuild and now they want to charge me $100!! I've been riding my 3 year old Rockshox Reverb as a backup, which still has never had an issue, so at this point I may just leave the Command post at the shop and save the $100. Specialized needs to do a better job of upholding its warranty, which they claim is 1 year.

[Feb 19, 2015]
Spokes572

Strength:

This if for the 2014 Command Post IR (Internal Routing)
Simple to add air
Simple for maintenance- super simple to maintain and clean.
Fairly low lost
Looks good
Can adjust speed return easily with air pressure

#1 weakness is must push post ALL THE WAY DOWN in order for post to engage, else post will move up to 3/4" drop location. That is a pain. In a rush you just want to drop it quickly and may not push post all the way down and if you do that the post will not be in the low position. This is the biggest issue and i am surprised no one brings this up! If you pressurize beyond 25psi you will blow the seal and will have to get unit rebuilt!
Offset is not so big of an issue - we just push seat all the way forward in the rails.

I got rid of it after trying to live with it for 8months. Installed the SRAM hydraulic dropper and love it. I no longer have to worry about having to force the post all the way down for it to engage to stay in low position.

[Aug 13, 2014]
Birdman-X

Strength:

Worked for a little while.

drop setttings not to my liking
seat clamp
not strong

It may be a personal preference but I don't like the 3 settings. The 1 inch drop and 4 inch drop was too wide.

As mentioned the seat clamp will roll if you land a little hard on the back end or nose.
I've taken it apart multiple times now to relube and change the cable. It is pressured up. It barely moves now unless I grab it with my hands. I can only assume it has a slight bend which is binding up the movement. 13 months of northeast riding (about 9 months of riding)...old guy - about 40-50 rides total....it's being replaced.

[May 03, 2014]
Black Dynamite
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Strong

None yet

After one ride I can't comment on its durability, but I can say It took a beating and kept performing.

I wadded up a brand new seat on a roughy landing. Bending the chromoly brackets on the seat and not affecting the post at all.

The ride heights were perfect easy transitions from all three stations. I got this for a steal as the LBS was transitioning away from Specialized. 30% off I'll take it!

[Apr 14, 2014]
Shamo

Strength:

I like the three settings and posted has worked with no issues for the last two years

The seat bolt clamp is crap; every time I go down hill and my ass hits the back of the seat it changes the tilt. I have a digital torque wrench and tried it at specified 120psi and seat became a suppository the first big bump. I then adjusted it to 140psi and it worked better only moving a little. At 155psi the bolt breaks so don't go there. Last resort I took my dremel and made deeper groves and added abrasion paste, that works best of all but still not perfect. (FYI: I ride XC and not DH this bike). Also the lever to actuate is difficult to use in cold weather and the prerouted bend does not fit well with my brakes and shifters

Would look at a different post if I were to buy again

[Mar 14, 2014]
provin1327

Strength:

Smooth operation, no wiggle, stylish

Hard to get saddle to stay in place

I've had this post for one season and I like it a lot. At first I had some trouble with it sticking in the middle position but a quick cleaning fixed that. The saddle seems to move easily when it takes a hard hit but that's nothing that a quick adjustment and tightening can't fix. This is my first dropper post but I really like it. The cruiser position is in a good spot and the post requires a bit of pressure for it to fall from the top position to the cruiser which I really like.

[Dec 27, 2013]
bear
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Relatively high reliability, for a dropper. Easily maintainable. Internals tolerant of minor damage (see below).

Setback seat clamp. Remove lever is crud, IMO. Single-bolt saddle rail clamping mechanism. Remote level paddle is hit-or-miss on who will like it. For me, it was simply huge and hard to get into a position where I could use it but it would not be in the way. Cold temperatures make the mechanism work very slowly, if at all, sometimes requiring manual assistance. I have now and then had the collar come loose - this is easy enough to screw back by-hand on the trail, but if you don't catch it then the post can bleed out the air spring. No damage from the post coming loose, just loss of psi.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the post, however I got it at a heavy discount when a friend bought a new bike that it came with, who didn't want it, and that helps on the value part.

I really have grown to like the fixed 'cruiser' position, having ridden with other infinite position posts I find this just works better for me. I tend to use that middle position for a lot of the technical trail riding as it is high enough to pedal without killing my knees for some distance but low enough to let me work the trail well with the bike.

The post has about 2500 miles on it in a bit over a year of use, varying conditions from summer to winter. It has functioned reliably throughout, even with a couple mechanical failures.

1st failure was that the remote lever exploded - after about 4 months of use. No crashes, but simply put the pivot wore out. I used a cotter-pin for a while through the lever but eventually replaced it with a Kind Shock remote which is still going strong.

2nd failure was found when doing a routine check of the internals, a couple of the 'leaf' pieces of the collet which locks it in place had broken off at some point. The post worked fine w/o all the leaves, however I sent it in to Specialized for rebuild. Since I wasn't their "original purchaser" it cost me a bit over 100$, including shipping.

The post has never left me "low and dry" on the trail - always able to be locked in any position even if all the air had bled out.

I have had the release mechanism "stick" when temps are low ... as in 14F ambient temp. I have not "winterized" the post yet though, that comes next.

I'd likely buy this post full-price as the only two on the market I'd consider that may be better would be the Kind Shock Lev or the Thomson dropper.

I find that I use the post a lot more than I originally thought I would.

Gravity Dropper, Giant Contact Switch, Kind Shock (non-Lev)

[Apr 02, 2013]
Carl

Strength:

Price- over other options with these features.

Seat clamp bolt had to be retightened. Not a real issue, but keep an eye on it. Also , for new users, it will hammer you in the pills if you're not expecting, or covering for it. Needs slight pressure to activate teh mechanism which I believe, is a good thing.

Works exactly how I thought it would. I was not expecting a seat post to add as much as it did to my riding. The ability to hit a switch and transition from descent to climb without stopping, is much greater than I thought it would be. Along with gear changes, I now add the seat post adjustment and BANG, all are there, on time. I'd hapily recommend this to anyone in the market for a seat post. I'm also buying one for my Santa Cruz VP Free. I'm 53 and Yes, I do pedal that 40 lb. thing uphill. And I spend time fiddling with the seat post moving it up and down to transition to the downhill. Not any more!

[Mar 25, 2013]
fruitafrank

Strength:

Mechanical/cable operated, wiggle free, 2-position drop, consistent operation,dependable,fails in up position[not tested] Low cost

none unless you want more than 3 positions

I am new to dropper posts so keep that in mind, I am more of a XC rider but in riding Moab and Fruita trails there is plenty of chances to get in trouble. I have watched the local shop riders who ride trails that are diff. to walk down let alone ride and have seen several post failures. Many have switched to the latest Blacklite and have very few failures. I have been using mine for 8 months and 0 issues so far. At first I would check for saddle wiggle as that concerned me but not any more . Its over a 100$ less than others and has been trouble free for me. My big surprise was the improvement in cornering and sometimes climbing. So far a great addition to the bike.

[Dec 11, 2012]
XJaredX

Strength:

It works. One of the cheaper posts as of this writing

None that I found.

I just wanted to chime in and say I've used this for 7 months now and it's been flawless, and has not even needed to have air put into it yet. Just oil it every now and again and it's fine. Around 30 degrees F it is slow to raise/ will not raise at all, but Specialized mentions that this will happen in the instruction manual- I simply pull it up again with my thighs.

I realize this is not a super awesome review but it seems like with dropper posts most people just chime in when theirs breaks.