KS i900-R Dropper Seatpost

KS i900-R Dropper Seatpost

[Mar 04, 2014]
mcgong

Strength:

Infinite Adjustably, Looks, Lever is ergo and many different ways to install.

Needs TLC and will require service over time. Customer Service is no good. Weight is heavy at 645 grams for post, lever, cable.

Overall the post has been great. I've used it for a solid two years. About 1.5 years in, the post wouldn't go up all the way anymore. I had to pull the last inch up every time. I just got used to doing it. Tried to service it according to KS video, but didn't help. The internal cartridge need to be rebuilt. Like it lost pressure or air.
Been trying to get through to customer service and haven't gotten any response. I filled out the RMA form on their website, sent it in, and haven't heard anything. No email responses either. I live about 20mins away from them too, maybe I can stop by their shop to see if anyone is even home.
4 Chilis for a decent post, 1 Chili for Customer Support

Command Post Generation 1 & 2, RS Reverb

[Oct 20, 2012]
nicoswit
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great seatpost, never failed on me, hasnt developed any play, works flawless after 2 years of use and never serviced it, just cleaned it good after every ride.

Some allen screws are to small and are easy to screw up!

Have heard different oppinions about this seat post, but for me it has worked luke a charm, no issues at all!

[Jul 31, 2012]
huffman

Strength:

Remote release worked well

Failed during my first full day of riding.

Took it to Snowshoe after a couple short local shakedown rides, failed the first day there leaving me with a pogo stick. Another rider following me asked why I had a suspension seat post on a FS all mountain bike.

After no response from the company for 2 weeks the seller took it back and gave me full credit. Distributor was out of the country though with my small business I always have someone answering emails and phone calls taking information.

I've been mountain biking since the early 90's and came to the conclusion it's a product I can live without.

[May 30, 2012]
Roth

Strength:

It does what it is supposed to.

Hard to get it to do what it's supposed to.

The lever actuated version came stock on my Scott Genius LT30 2012. At first no real issues with it. It was fun being able to drop the seat and raise it fairly quickly, I tend to overlook the fact that it sticks and you have to wiggle around to get it to drop, and sometimes wiggle it around to get it to raise. I was content with it this way for a while until I had more problems.
While on a roadtrip I noticed I was developing saddle sores, even with chamois creme. So naturally I decide to experiment with the seat adjustment, forward, back and tilt. I decided to tilt the seat down ever so slightly to maybe relieve some of the pressure on the area. I got on and rode and it felt great, only problem is that when you tilt the seat down in the very least of degrees it stops you from being able to actuate the lever and drop the seat. So now if I want the dropper to be functional I have to put up with a completely flat seat angle that chafes me. This seems like very poor design. Hopefully I can find a new seat that leaves room for the lever to pull all the way up.
Bottom line is that it's just okay. Had I went out and bought this item retail I would've been extremely unhappy and returned it, but since it came on my bike I guess I can let it go.

[Apr 30, 2012]
iqbbang

Strength:

little side to side play

the lever isnt very comfortable
no lateral play but some vertical play
heavy
sometimes it doesnt work the first time when not used for a few days

I currently own three different adjustable seatposts for 3 of my bikes: KS i900, Reverb, and SpeedDropper.
And Reverb is the BEST one. i went for a KS i900 to save me some money but now im regretting quite a bit.
now the i900 needs to go to repair because all the sudden it decided to act like a suspension post :((((

i strongly recommend Rockshox Reverb. it is worth the extra money over other cheaper products

[Feb 19, 2012]
tridad3
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

awesome travel when works, good/easy remote, stable

cartridge fails often within one year- seat will not stay up, very poor customer service (do not answer phone, emails with unhelpful/delayed responses), rather than fixing their product failure they thus far have given me the run around- huge hassle for a know defect in the product- should just be fixed no questions asked.

Unless defects are fixed and customer service improves I would avoid this seatpost. It is likely to fail within a year and will be a hassle to get repaired. There are plenty of other options as I will likely need to eat my $210. If customer service comes through I will update, but not looking good.

first adjustable seatpost, but friends using gravity dropper, joplin and specialized - all without issue thus far.

[Dec 13, 2011]
Earthpig

Strength:

When it works, it's one of the best additions to a bike you can get if you like to rip the downhills.

Suspect reliability? Weight. Limited saddle tilt adjustability. Side to side saddle play out of the box.

I never thought I'd be that kind of rider who would need a dropper post. The local trails are non-technical and I don't DH anything super technical. I'm also a firm believer in posts being something you set and forget. However, a few rides with this post and I was hooked. I have long legs and tend to like my saddle set very high for climbing, so the ability to drop (and raise) the post from a small lever on the bar is sort of a small godsend for me. It definitely has given me some added speed and confidence on the downhills. But...

I do have some gripes. My post had both some very slight up and down play and very slight side to side play out of the box. I understand that one or both are to be expected with this post. I compensated for the first by setting my saddle slightly higher and the latter I just learned to ignore. It's also a lot heavier than a normal post, so if you're a weight weenie, this is not your post. One of the more annoying features is the single-bolt style tilt adjust for the saddle. I'm a big fan of two bolt (or other) systems that allow for "fine tuning" the saddle tilt. With this post, I always felt like my saddle was tilted too far down or too far up - I never could get the saddle quite right. But, it was so much fun to use it, I again learned how to deal with the lack of good tilt adjust.

Finally, mine quit working after about 8 months of riding - it will not stay in the up position anymore - it drops about an inch if I sit on it. Not really what you want from your seatpost. After one ride back on a straight post, I'm tempted to just keep the straight post - I like the concept of a dropper post, but don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere and be worried about my seatpost failing.

No other dropper posts used

[Nov 19, 2011]
SparxFlyer

Strength:

Infinite adjustability, no issues with side to side or up & down play. Excellent seals requiring no maintenance thus far.

Also, he thing appears to be bomb proof. I have bent the rails on two seats, once upward (you don't want to know about the bruising on that one!) and thus far it has no play or other issues.

From the get go it often needed a bump with my butt to get it to lift back up, but an inexpensive service at the LBS (a lighter lube & more pressure in air chamber) has taken care of that. One other annoyance is the seat rail system which seems prone to letting the saddle move a bit... This likely contributed to me bending a set of seat rails down because the saddle had slipped back.

Overall, I've been very happy with my KS 900R. Mine is a 2010 30.9 mm model with 5 inches adjustment and I have around 780 km on it, almost all from this year. I love the infinite adjustability and the clearance it gives me for going faster on the downs.

[Oct 16, 2011]
angular momentum

Strength:

It works, seems to be high quality overall.

remote lever could be better, seat clamp could be better.

It's never failed to pop back up upon request. After six months of heavy use, it is still holding up like new. I like that there's an audible thud that lets you know when it's fully extended. Sometimes it does get hug up in the last 1/2 inch of extension, usually because the seat collar is too tight, the post collar (red bit) is too tight, or the post needs lubrication. Maintenance is fairly straight-forward: 1. keep internals lubed 2. Keep the actuator lever (red bit under seat rails) free of grime and well greased 3. make sure the cable action is smooth along with the remote mechanism. Finally, I believe this article is fully rebuildable at home; just need damper fluid, shock pump + basketball needle, household tools and some ingenuity. Do not worry that the post shaft is exposed unlike that of a few other adjustaposts--the seals do their job really well.

[Sep 19, 2011]
Big Jim

Strength:

Easy to install, simple to use, and a complete confidence booster. Improved my riding by a lot. Best thing to happen to mountain biking since mountain bikes, and free time. Unbelievable customer service. Sleek design.

Busted seal turned it into a suspension post.

If you want a kick-ass seat dropper that is reliable, after the first fail, and is backed with remarkable customer service, buy this product. I have the i950, but sounds like others here do too, and sounds like all i9XX are plagued by the same seal failure. It sucks that it happens, but, the company knows about it, and recognizes the problem. As such, KS takes great care of customers by repairing or replacing the seat posts and returning them within 1 week. There was almost no downtime, and no problem.

Rick Taylor and his team at KS USA area customer service superstars.

As for the product itself, it is by far, the single upgrade that will have the most impact on your riding. Even weight weenies will agree that the capability to adjust seat position on the fly will save your ass and greatly improve your bike handling. No seat in the ass on drops and jumps, no seat in the way on technical bridges, skinnies, rock gardens...and then it comes back up when you're back on the grind - with out stopping to make adjustments.

nothing