Gravity Dropper Adjustable Dropper Seatpost

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 30, 2014]
    David
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Simple and dependable.

Because it lasts so long (mine is 12 years old) you will need to do maintenance. Lever it a bit harsh.

I've have my original seatpost for just over 12 years. It works great and over time I've learned to take it apart and overhaul it. Last month I learned the manufacturer offered a factory overhaul service for a very low price, Just got my post back and looks like I'm good for another 12 years. Thanks

[Nov 10, 2013]
    ryan1584

Strength:

Inexpensive. Gets you a dropper post for under $200.

Mine broke on the 5th ride. Sent back to cambriabike for warranty. Six months later I have a brand new dropper (going to sell it). In the meantime, I found a Rockshox Reverb on sale for $300 at Pricepoint. The extra $100 went a long way. By comparison, the Gravity's only got two positions, up and down. Reverb has infinite. Reverb makes the bike look better, Gravity looks pretty wack with the ugly boot. Controls on Gravity big, clunky and hard to adjust (feels cheap). Reverb is low profile and hydraulic - buttery smooth.

If I were you I'd save up and spring for the Reverb over the Gravity. Fox DOSS better but only has 3 positions and a huge controller on the handlebar.

Rockshox Reverb, Fox DOSS

[Jun 02, 2013]
    JBro
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Simplicity, light weight, ease of maintenance, American made, excellent customer service, customizable. Before I bought it I thought that the lack of infinite adjustability would be a weakness, but the pre-set drops of 1" & 4" seem dead on.

Getting the threaded collar at the top of the outer tube set correctly takes some time. Once you get it dialed in, forget about it. Ended up putting some Teflon tape over the threads to keep it in place.

The boot is ugly, but I contacted GD and they said you can go without it. Just need to service it more often. I've embraced the boot, actually looks kinda burly.

Solid post! Got this from Price Point who incorrectly described it as "multi." It was only the two position post, up & down. I sent an email to GD asking what parts I needed to make this bad boy a multi. They got back to me the same day and the part was $30. It only took about 10 minutes to install it.

[Mar 22, 2013]
    ABQ Clydesdale

Strength:

very durable
    performs as advertised
    increases confidence on technical descents

only 2 positions - up or down
    occasional issues with remote not activating post

I've had this post for over 2 years now, and I'm a big guy (6' 4" and 220 lbs. without gear). The Gravity Dropper has been bomb proof. It continues to perform as advertised, and I have had no complaints or issues. It goes up and down, when it's supposed to do so.

My only complaints are small and nit picky. Occasionally when I press the remote lever, it does not engage the mechanism. This happens rarely, and if I push it again, I can get it to work. The other nit is that the post has only 2 positions, up or down. But I knew this when I purchased it. I'm not sure I would really use in between positions with a multi position or infinitely adjustable post anyway.

The point I can't overemphasize enough is how durable my Gravity Dropper has been. It's been through many miles and wrecks that have bent seat rails, and it still looks, feels and performs like new. If you're looking for an adjustable seat post that will stand up to very hard use sometimes bordering on abuse, this is the one to get.

[Mar 16, 2013]
    Alex

Strength:

sturdy, well made, good customer service

remote lever awkward and hard to operate, fiddly operation

This is a beefy well made seatpost that would probably take a lot of punishment. It might be a good choice for a downhiller, especially a burly guy with big strong hands. However, I'm a small person with small hands and the awkward, stiff lever was way too hard to operate. I'm a cross country rider on trails with lots of short, steep ups and downs so the ability to rapidly and effortlessly move the post up and down is essential. The difficult lever and fiddly operation made it not a good choice for me. I got a Kindshock Lev, which is a breeze to operate and could not be happier with it.

Kindshock Lev

[Jan 09, 2013]
    n2b8tor

Strength:

Reliability, simple mechanics, you can service it yourself.

need shim for my 30.9
    heavy
    price (but all adjustable post are expensive)

I loved this post so much that I have it for all my bikes. does what is intended to do without any problems, very simple design so you will have few problems. there is no air/hydrolic to worry about. it has never failed my yet. you can get a different interpost and change the travel, I have the 2" drop then down to 4" drop. I ride mostly XC so I only use the 2" drop, sometimes it's hard to find it but it takes time for your butt to learn to depress 2". Going all the way down to 4" is easy. The only annoying thing is that you have to initiate the magnetic release by coordinating it with you butt and thumb. once disengaged you can adjust the height by sitting down the the level you desire. Another thing that I have notice is that my butt is more sore than when I have ridden with a nonadjustable post, I think these ajustable seat post are very solid, because of the build and I don't know if that translate to more of a harsher ride? anyone else have this issue? Anyways I think adjustable seatpost has made riding easier and safer.

[Dec 09, 2012]
    zorg

Strength:

Simple, reliable, great customer service.

The lever is a bit hard to press (especially after pressing it many times during a long ride when your thumb gets tired) and the seat clamp tends to let the saddle slip backward.

I've had mine for 6 or 7 years. I changed it for another adjustable seatpost while on another bike, and I went back to the GD once I got a bike that required a straight seatpost. It's never failed me. The maintenance is easy and if you're too lazy to do it yourself, you can always send it to GD (quick turnaround and not expensive). After years of riding it with 3" drop, I finally upgraded it to 1 and 4" drop. The best part: it only cost $35 to buy the part to swap. The weight penalty is worth it for the extra fun and flow during your ride. It's not too expensive (compared to $500 Fox adjustable post...), and the reliability and customer service are tough to beat.

This is by far the best $250 I've ever spent on my bike.

[Dec 07, 2012]
    Tennessee Steve

Strength:

Reliable, Easy to use. 4 years of use and it still works like new. Actually gets better with use. But like any seat dropper you have a learning curve on using it without even thinking. Took me about a year but now I use mine without even thinking.

Not many. Nothing is perfect so I would have to say price.

I have been using my Gravity Dropper for 4 years and i bought it used. So it has so miles on it. It took me a year (30 rides) before I could get the real bennys from it. I have a trail behind my house with 36 jumps so a dropper comes in handy. I have seen others but have no interest in trying another. This one works.

[Dec 04, 2012]
    stephen

Strength:

Simple design. Durable. No air/fluid to create failures. 4" drop seems like the perfect amount. Easy to fix. easy to adjust

The thumb button takes some getting used to (especially with the tap-to-raise classic model). Now it's 2nd nature and quick. The aluminum glue that holds to cable/button mechanism to the post failed after about 2 years. Send it back and it was repaired with a more durable part for free--less than a week round trip. Very happy with customer service, and even after the glue failed, I just used a zip tie to hold it in place and rode it like that for 6 months.

One of my favorite components for my mountain bike ever. It's now hard to ride without one! I love watching my friends with the specialized/crank bros/others constantly fighting to get their's to work at the trailhead :)

[Apr 25, 2012]
    foes2313
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

I've had a Gravity dropper classic for the past five years, not a single problem at all. I once replaced the plastic shim that took me 15 minutes at a cost $15 for a new shim with shipping. No special tools needed to replace the shim. This design is fool proof and just works.

Ugly rubber boot, a friend of mine snapped the saddle bolt because he over tightened it

If you want a dropper that will give you years of trouble free performance this is it. Don't get the turbo version, the cable routing that comes out of the seatpost at 90 deg angle is ugly and can snag a tree branch. Get the classic version!! Also infinite adjustment offered on other brands is NOT necessary and can actually make finding the optimum ride height difficult. Gravity dropper has three ride heights. I use the fully extended one for fireroad and prolong climbing, the 1" drop mode for fast changing terrains and twisty singletracks and the 3" drop position for gnarly downhills. Three positions are all you need, no infinite adjustment needed.