Giant Contact Switch Dropper Seatpost

Giant Contact Switch Dropper Seatpost

Master the trickiest terrain with Giant's lightweight, durable and easy to operate Contact Switch remote seatpost. Designed with 100mm of vertical adjustability and limitless positioning plus a smooth spring/oil bath cartridge and anti-twist technology to secure your saddle.

[May 14, 2017]
Bodgy

Strength:

Cheap

Strength!
Got the new model Contact SL with the inline clamp to replace the old model (cartridge died) and it bent after a few rides (same as below). I just sat down at the bottom of a gully and felt it bend back. There was a bit of G-force at the time, but I only weigh 80kg so I'd expect it to handle this. Afterwards the saddle wouldn't drop because the post was bent.

I suspect there might have been a bad batch in mid 2016 where they didn't heat treat the Aluminium or something, as I bought mine about the same time as siewa and didn't fit it until a couple of months ago. Here's hoping the warranty comes through, or else Giant will have lost a loyal customer.

[Jun 23, 2016]
siewa
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Price?

Seatpost bent on 4th ride (no drops or jumps), Giant refused warranty claim. So after one weekend of fun i was left with piece of junk.

Strongly not recommend

[Aug 01, 2015]
d
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

crap

crap

piece of crap

[Sep 08, 2014]
Manny

Strength:

I got a good deal for this seatpost and am happy with it.....

i got this seatpost with 3 rides of used from a friend but when climbing i place myself on the tip of the saddle and seat moves slightly down... I weigh 195lbs. I have tried to tighten the bolt but seat keeps on doing the same. the bolt stripped and am only able to tighten it so much....
I've tried replacing the bolt but haven't been able to because giant doesn't provide information on how to replace it. Also have tried going to homedepot and lowes but haven't found the exact same bolt...
Please advise.

I would gladly appreciate your support on this...
thanx

[Nov 12, 2013]
jim begely

Strength:

It does what it was designed to do lowers and raises at a flip of a switch.

Top head is being replaced after 6 months of use. Seat would rotate down if you hit the saddle hard on a bump. Giant is replacing, but when your out on a drive the last thing you need is the horn of your saddle proding you in the bum....

It came with the bike and I love it.

[Oct 26, 2013]
Kerry

Strength:

Price, functions well, looks good in all black.

None yet. I've had this for only 3 months.

I was in need of a new post but couldn't justify the 350-450 for one of the more popular posts. But, Cyclepath sells Giant and the guys said it had been one of the more reliable posts they sell so at way less money than the other posts, I figure it was worth a go. I have the second generation post that can be mounted stealth or not which makes for great options.so far the post has done exactly what I had hoped it would do and is holding up well. Super happy with this post.

[Aug 20, 2013]
Racerbill

Strength:

This post was inexpensive very reliable and easy to install. I owned a couple of other brands and they've left me out on the trail with a sinking seat or a stuck seat, but not this one.

The cable is a little fussy and it required occasional tweaking over the three years I owned it.

Because of my clumsy riding style I broke the seat mount on my three-year-old post and just bought a brand-new version of this post. I put off buying a dropper post for years because of the weight, now that I've owned a few I will not ride without them I actually own a backup post.

[Jul 28, 2013]
Andrew

Strength:

Came for free on the bike.....

I have had two of these posts, the first one stopped working about 3 months in to ownership and would no longer lock, would compress when I sat down on it and pogo up and down...... fun!

The cable routing faces up at both ends (This item was standard on my '12 Trance X0) so as soon as you ride in the rain or wash your bike the cable seizes and the lever can no longer actuate the seat release.

After replacing the seized cable once and approximately 3 rides later the cable being seized again, I assumed the wet weather had rusted the new cable, however when I went to replace the cable I found that the locking lever inside the post had become jammed and the post no longer operated.

The concept of the post is a fantastic one and I think it's one thing that has improved my riding the most in the last 10 or so years.
The execution of the Giant post leaves a little to be desired, after having two fail and the first one replaced under warranty I'm waiting to see if Giant are prepared to replace this one too. If not I'll be looking for a different brand.

Bottom line: From now on I will always have a dropper post, If I have to pay for it with my own folding stuff it would not be a Giant one.

[Jul 23, 2013]
lew242
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Infinite adjustment, nice switch, fair price

Side to side play (11 o'clock to 1 o'clock as you look down from above at the bike), 4 inch rise, cable attaches to top, fussy cable routing, sanction needs list of cleaning and lube.

This is a good dropper post, not perfect but not too bad either. With the 100mm rise it is certainly less than the competition, but I've never had a problem with this amount of rise riding trails. I've given the post 3 months abuse with no problem, however I have deliberately not abused the post too far to save from killing it, if you think about the work it has to do. I think I could kill it by doing wheelies and sat down stoppies, this however is likely the case with any dropper post.

If we limit dropper posts to trail/AM/Enduro bikes, don't over abuse them, maintain them regularly and be prepared to replace them every 2 years for most trail riders on most kinds of terrain they are worth the weight and bike clutter, especially if the price can be kept low. Weirdly the best thing about a dropper post is being able to have it fully extended on the flat and uphill and be able to pedal at 100% rather than the typical compromise medium height many people run for convenience when they have a regular post.

[May 09, 2013]
Old ROMPer

Strength:

Great lever
Infinite adjustment
Not too fast rise

Keeping the seat post angle requires perfect torque on the seat bolt.
Slight side to side wobble (not noticed during riding

I have had these on two different bikes now and really like them
I have had my seat angle change during riding on several occasions. The seat bolt must be very tight. Multiple times it was torqued by a bike shop and had a mishap on the trail (I am a 190# rider)

I have not tried the Fox but liked it better than the Reverb and Specialized that I tried.