Giant Contact SL Switch Dropper Seatpost

Giant Contact SL Switch Dropper Seatpost

[Jul 01, 2018]
cli_b2000

Strength:

inexpensive, worked pretty well for 10 months.

I bought a new 2nd generation Giant Contact SL last year; it was my first dropper. It was less expensive than many other droppers, and I've heard such bad things about droppers failing, I didn't want to drop a lot of $. It worked great until this week, when it stopped locking out, it just sags quickly while I'm riding. I removed the air cartridge, and sure enough, the lockout mechanism on the cartridge itself no longer works. Replacement cartridges are $60 for newer generations, but unfortunately, Giant no longer makes replacement cartridges for the 1st & 2nd gens. So, it's toast, and I' m willing to bet the 3rd gen etc cartridges will not be offered soon either. This seems to be a common theme with other droppers too; I'm going to save up for a Gravity Dropper, which are spring opperated, so there is nothing to fail.

Price Paid:
2016
[May 25, 2017]
Cayenne_Pepa
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

~ Internal/external cable routing options
~ Updated, twin-bolt saddle rail clamp
~ Able to run 9mm carbon rail saddles
~ Air/oil cartridge is inexpensive
~ Good value, for price

~ Only for 30.9mm seatposts
~ Thumb switch requires a good, firm press
~ Action not quite as smooth as Reverb or LEV

Thank goodness Giant did-away with that terrible, one-bolt rail clamp. This iteration is much better. Lubing this unit is simply matter of unscrewing the collar and shooting whatever lube of choice. Do it every 10 rides and all is good...

Yeah, you can blow the big scrilla for KS, Thomson, Fox and Reverb.... but why? This still gets the job done and looks just as good. Save your duckets for other carbon goodies.

Rockshox Reverb
KS LEV Integra
Thomson Covert
Fox DOSS

[Oct 24, 2015]
Bindegal

Strength:

Relatively inexpensive, easy to clean and service, can be used with either internal or external cabling. Simple gear cable operation.

Perfectly reliable until the cartridge inside suddenly won´t lock in position. Single bolt system for securing the seat can be a pain.

As indicated - the post works fine until the point when it suddenly doesen´t. I have a hunch that it doesen´t like to be in the all-down position for extended periods (think storage).
Either way I had the cartridge fail on two seperate posts within a year for no appearant reason.
One post will probably remain broken as the bike shop in Germany can´t get Giant to service it. (it came with the bike)
The other post was replaced without BS to the 2016 model by Bike&Bean Sedona.

[Mar 20, 2015]
Sean

Strength:

The strongest part of this post is the infinite adjustment in its travel up and down (no preset elevations) allowing me to set it wherever feels good. After riding with other rides with other brand posts, I was able to see the strength and weakness of some of the big name dropper poss out there. This post was highly recommended by the local shop as a problem free, easy to install/ maintain alternative to Rockshox, KS and Specialized posts. I ride with guys who have post from the other companies and this post holds it own and has a better feel than the others as it moves up and down. I am 225lbs and have had no issues so far with just over 40 miles on the post. I got the 4" drop which is more than enough to get it out of the way on the DH. The cost of this post is very competitive/ less than many other post out there but has the same/ better performance so far. I installed it myself in about 10 minutes. The lever is smooth and fits on my bar without interference with my front brake and shifter. can be mounted traditionally or the new stealth variation some frames are coming with.

slight side to side play of the seat (which my local shop told me would happen) have not noticed it as riding it. seems the same as my friends Specialized post and KS post. not really a weakness but you should know it will develop after a few rides so as to not be upset.

Bottom line this has been a great investment for my riding. I only go up hill so I can go back down as fast as possible. I have found myself using the post numerous times each ride and did not know how much difference it would make to the enjoyment level of my rides. I will never be able to ride without a dropper post again.

[Dec 03, 2014]
Solos

Strength:

Good value. Nice to have option to internally route cable for a clean stealth look.

Opennings at the top of post can let in water. Doesn't t have a rock solid feel. Seat can tip if bolts not cranked tight. Won't always extend.

Good value.
Came with my new 2014 Trance 1 27.5.

I would recommend this post to any non-hardcore riders who are looking to make their rides a little more pleasant and do not want to spend top dollar. As the longevity has yet to be proven, I would not recommend this to folks who are hard on their gear.

Nice to have option to internally route cable for a clean stealth look. No cable sticking out to get hung up, damaged or collect mud. A fellow rider was checking out my bike and asked why I didn't opt for the dropper. Press the button and presto. He was impressed. However, internal routing means that I don't know the cable condition and if it is getting worn through anywhere. Hopefully Giant made the cable run nice and smooth.

Adjustable height is very nice to have while riding. I used to reach down for the seatpost quick release at the top of the hills while still riding which always made me fell like I was about to crash. Could never make in-ride adjustments before the dropper.

Negatives
Opennings at the top can let in water.
If you ride in wetter and muddier conditions, watch out when you wash your bike down as water can enter into opennings at the top of the seatpost. Several of these opennings are for external cable routing so I have blocked them off with electrical tape however the cable rail clamps have opennings that cannot be blocked off so easily and will allow water in if you spray water aggressively at the top of the post.

Doesn't t have a rock solid feel.
Perhpas all droppers are alike. I haven't ridden any other so I cannot compare but this oe has a little rotational movement. Not a significant problem when you are riding though.

Seat can tip if bolt not cranked tight.
Don't expect to make a trail adjustment to the seat angle or position with a mini tool. You are going to need to crank on the bolt to get things to stay where you set them. There is no aditional supprt to hold the seat angle when you hit a bump when sitting on the saddle. I have read of others who have stripped the nut or the bolt trying to get things to stay put. Hopefully it was the bolt because the nut is not an off the shelf item.

Won't always extend.
I hope it is just the cold weather but the post won't extend on it own if it has been left in the same position for a while. So the first adjustment of the ride might require a tug or a bump or a small retraction to break it loose. I took the post apart and relubed everything with a slight improvement.

The post will extend if the bike is lifted by the seat. If you lift the bike over an obstacle (fallen tree, dead bear, whatever) with the seat, the post will extend to full extension. This means you will have to lift the bike higher and will have to remember to lower the seat back down before you jump back on the bike if the terrain warrants. Maybe all droppers are like this?

[Nov 30, 2014]
Osco

Strength:

Works perfectly,
100mm range,
Simple small trigger

Very slight seat movement left to right but not noticeable while riding.

I needed to get lower to get faster,
I needed to get the seat out of my way to pitch the bike over more. And to carry more speed down steep drops.
Going up on the bars or stem would kill my climbing so the dropper was my only option.
This SL model works great, I find I leave it down about an inch and a half most of the ride.
It's very smooth and comes up with IMO the right amount of speed and force.
The Trigger fit between my left grip and brake, Its just the right size too.

The trick with Droppers is not to think about when I should lower my seat but to think about when I should raise my seat.
Only two rides in so no durability Input yet.