Crank Brothers Kronolog Dropper Seatpost

Crank Brothers Kronolog Dropper Seatpost

All new adjustable seatpost, 125mm of infinite adjustment, mechanical design and hydraulic feel.

[Apr 12, 2016]
winsail

Strength:

It is guaranteed to fail

It will fail repeatedly

Please do not waste your money even on a used Kronolog. This post will not work properly for more than 3 months. I know I'm on my third post in less than 2 years that doesn't work.

Reverb, Joplin (also rubbish), Maverick Speedball ( Also rubbish )

[Oct 25, 2015]
JHansen
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Worked great when new, started failing a few months in and 12 months later is totally useless

Flawed design.

Bought it on clearance at my LBS October 2014, it was still $200 something when I bought it. The Kronolog has a terrible flawed design. The seatpost part that rises and lowers is aluminum while the mechanism that grips the seatpost and locks it in to place is steel. Over time the steel wears down the softer aluminum. Once that occurs the seatpost won't stay locked in place. It will either shoot all the way up or, if you sit on it and hit a bump, all the way down. Called Kronolog and they said it was most likely a cable tension issue. I replaced the cable and this made no difference in performance. Today when I was riding, I hit the button to raise the seat and the seatpost actually came all the way out of the mechanism. I think it must've went past it's stop point. I do ride about 4 times/week 14 or so tough miles at a time, so it did take some abuse.

[Jul 16, 2014]
herman
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

looks and cable position

hight adjustment

unreliable. Doesn't keep position. After 9 months the only position was "low". Took a month to repair. Then, after 3 months, again only `low` position. Now it took 3 months to repair.

[Dec 18, 2013]
WaldoOC

Strength:

Nice looking
Good ergonomics
Easy Installation
Adjustable air pressure for controlling return speed
Relatively low price (with steep discounts to be found)

Poor reliability/durability
Bad seat clamp design

I really wanted to like the kronolog. It's clean-looking and nice to use when it works. As a 200-lb rider, I know I may be a little harder on components than some, but I'm a XC guy who takes care of his equipment. I also understand that a dropper post is a suspension component, not a rigid post, so it'll need some maintenance. That said, the kronolog needs a version 2.0.

Like many, mine failed after about 8 months of 1-3 rides per week. At first the clamping system just seemed to wear out so that it wouldn't clamp at the desired height, but it soon failed completely, sagging to the bottom. CB repaired it quickly, but a few months later it began to slip again. CB again serviced it, though they weren't as friendly about it the second time. It's been several months since then, and I'm just now starting to feel a slight slip from the top of its travel.

But maybe worse than the reliability of the dropper mech is the seat clamp. Their design clamps from the sides and requires the user to position a small plastic bridge between the seat rails to keep from bending them inward, which makes for a slightly awkward installation. Worse is their use of a torx bolt means that you'll need a compatible multi-tool in your pack. Worse than that is the fact that this bolt requires a ridiculous amount of torque to hold the seat firmly; I've never been able to keep it from slipping rearward over the course of several long climbs. Even worse still is the fact that the clamp seems to get scored so that it can't easily be tilted. I have to loosen it a bunch then use a rubber mallet, so small adjustments in seat angle are almost impossible (see multiple reviews of various CB posts for similar complaints).

I got a screaming deal on mine, and comparable bargains are out there, so I'll give it 2 chilis for value. But it's such a frustrating product to live with, failing to do some of the basic functions of any post, that I can't give more than one chili overall. If CB comes out with a revised version with better durability and a functional seat clamp then they'd be in the game, but for now this is one to skip.

Thomson Elite and Masterpiece fixed posts (owned)
KS Lev and Rockshox Reverb Stealth droppers (demoed)

[Nov 09, 2013]
Jake
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Better than going without a dropper.... sometimes.

Unreliable, tall when compressed, finicky and fragile.

Has failed twice since I have owned it, which has only been about three months. Losing pressure after sitting and compressing on its own after airing it up minutes before, along with an insanely fast up travel makes this a frustrating post. Distracts me from getting riding done never knowing when it will fail again. Currently have sent it in for a warranty rebuild then looking to sell for anything else.

[Oct 20, 2013]
Thomas Day

Strength:

looks okay, light.

everything else. Failed on 2nd ride on my Satori. Its a $200 blemish on your bike. Get rid of it.

ditched this pos post for a fox, which did come out of the box ready to go, and has since performed flawlessly :)

[Aug 08, 2013]
Dave

Strength:

I liked this design for it's lack of dangling cable.

Construction, harder metal against softer metal= fail. I've set this post back now 3 times. Each time, same result, post fails, slips even though it's set up correctly with the "green" indicator in the proper spot. The last time it failed it wouldn't hold air along with slipping. They should simple issue a recall on this product and issue people refunds.

Disappointed.
If you want to keep sending products back due to a failed design then by all mean buy this post. Crank Brothers will no longer send you a call tag to pay for return shipping, you have to pay to ship back their crappy product. Perhaps if you weight under 150lbs this product might work for you, hard to say.

[Jun 14, 2013]
wakejunky

Strength:

Clean design, no looping cable when depressed. Simple operation. Nice actuating lever, easy to access pressure adjustment.

Cheap cheap saddle compenents

HORRIBLE.....repeat......HORRIBLE customer service. The cheap plastic saddle bridge broke during installation. The part should have been metal. Also note that they use a Torx for the saddle and lever mount so, trail side adjustments with your carry along tools isn't possible. Called to try and get a replacement part, really thought it would be simple, through a saddle bridge in an envelope and call it good. Seeing that we're both in California, thought it would be just a couple of days. Was really anticipating being able to use it during a big downhill trail the following weekend. Actually spoke to a rep was told to send email to email address, smallparts@crankbrothers.com. Sent email, and got no response so I don't know if it ever made it. Called the following day, had to leave a message, waited a day and still no response. Called and had to leave a message to the customer support manager. Left message waited two days and still no response. Needless to say that I'm returning it for a refund, thanks PricePoint. I just don't want to take the risk of having to get it serviced at any point.
I went against my better judgement when I ordered this, I really liked the design and price point.
I can't put my money towards a company who is unresponsive to customers and will NOT consider buying anything with the CrankBrothers name on it.

KS LEV

[Apr 24, 2013]
John

Strength:

Infinitely adjustable

None So Far

I got this on my new Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon
It's worked perfectly so far.
I'm 200lbs and it lifts and drops on cue, quickly and predictably.
It's about the same weight as the stock post.
A friend has been through real problems with a different brand
so I was nervous about this buy.
I would recommend it to anyone.

[Apr 22, 2013]
Doug B
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

A zen attitude to nothingness

Reliability

Same as everyone else. Failed after a month with proper setup. They stated they tested this post for over a year before release. If they did then why did it hit the market? Saw the new re-design. looks like the major design flaws were not addressed.

Gravity Dropper- Great