Trek OCLV Bar End

OCLV

Trek OCLV

Rod Munch   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2004]
Strength:

Best fit for me on the market, great looks, light weight, bought for a steal at the bargain bin at Supergo in 1995

Hmmm. Discontinued now?

Wish I could find a stockpile of these somewhere. Mine are almost 10 years old, and have just made the swap to their third bike. Great shape- thicker and straighter than other endz, light weight. I left a lot of custom parts selling my '99 Razorback, but I kept these bar ends. They've seen a lot of crashes and have some scrapes, but are still going strong.

Similar Products Used: Onzas, Ritcheys & clones, Titec Carbon 100's, others
dude   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2002]
Strength:

dude wicked light and super sweet

cost too much and are not made out of titanium inpregnated milk cartons

these bar ends are the best thing ever. even without a drivetrain i can still beat all my friends since they are so light. i can now ride in confidence and huck the super nasty better than i could in my origanal review that magicly dissapeared, oh well here is another.

Similar Products Used: evey one
Famous1   weekend warrior [Mar 17, 1998]

These bar ends are great! I got mine from Supergo for about $40.
They are very ergonomic, they feel good in your hand. I have wiped out a few times and even had the ends drag across a stuco header in the back of a truck coming out of a car port before a ride. My buddy wasn't used to an X-large frame in the back of his truck. I love my bar ends mostly for the way the feel.

Ron   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2001]
Strength:

fit to hand, light, tough

I have been riding hard for a while, not to mention the use of these bar ends as a stand before and after the ride, and they have more than met the match. We need to remember that they are carbon. You do make sacrifices when you go for light weight. These bar ends rule!

Similar Products Used: junk
Patrick Beeson   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2000]
Strength:

Light, very sweet looking, fit better in my hand than other barends, plus got 'em for free from a friend!

My 5mm bolts stripped out, but I found some new ones.

These bar ends have held up amazingly well over the past two years they have been in use. I have tried other 'ends, but these fit my hands the best. I also work in a bike shop so I could technically get any bar end I want for cheap, but these OCLV ends rock! I have crashed hard on them before and the stay together. How people break their stuff is beyond me; ride better! 5 flaming horses for value(got em free) and 5 for quality!

Similar Products Used: Onza, Trek system 4, Bontrager Race Lights
Rhonda   Weekend Warrior [Jun 07, 1999]
Strength:

comfortable fit

breakage

My husband jinxed my beloved bar ends by telling me that there was some problems with breakage. What happened yesterday??? One of them was snapped. However, I did land hard enough to launch the water bottle out of the cage, dent my helmet, and knock my handlebars out of alignment. The bar ends have definitely been great and have taken abuse. Like I said...he jinxed me.

Ed   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 22, 1999]
Strength:

Light
Look cool
Almost as tough as nails

Expensive
Brittle (relatively speaking) - will nor bend
Not as tough as nails

SNAP, CRACKLE, POP!!!! Nope, it ain't the rice crispys...Just broke one of my OCLV barends in half yesterday. Wasn't even a wicked crash or anything, just spinning along and rolled into a shallow hole - did an endo and apparently landed on my handle bars. I myself was unscathed (except my pride) but I then noticed the shattered remains of my barend (much to my chagrin). Still can't complain too much, they were unbelievably light and put up with a lot of punishment up until now. I probably would have easily bent an aluminum barend, but it would at least get me back to the car (or I could even keep using it if I didn't mind a custom bent barend). But like anything that's made out of carbon, it has pros and cons. It will be light and really shouldn't have much flex, but is pretty brittle when compared to the more traditional metal materials. Oh well, still give it 3 chilis for 2 years of good service.

Similar Products Used: Walmart crap
ed   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 1999]
Strength:

Tough as nails
Fairly light
Look cool
Carbon???

Carbon??? In theory, could crack if they get scrathed up a lot

So far these things have been great!!! They seem to be tough as hell, even thoughthey have been beat up / scratched pretty bad. And best of all, they look great. Now I just wish they would make them look like carbon bull horns, sharp points and all. If for now other reason than to look intimadating on race day. Seriously, the only thing i might change with the OCLV's is maybe the overall length - a little shorter maybe. Otherwise, 5 flaming chilis!!

Similar Products Used: Walmart specials - and man were they special. I deserved it though for skimping.
T.R.   cross-country rider [Feb 03, 1999]

The Trek OLCV are very fine Barends. They are light and feel very comfortable, especially if you have got large hands. I crashed with them two times, but they did not crack, they only have a few scratches on the carbon fiber. More over these barend look pretty cool.

Aaron Marks   racer [Sep 28, 1998]

I would just like to say that these are by far the best bar ends I have ever tried!!! When I first looked at them I thought to myself how anything this light could hold up. It has been a dream on the uphill with these and they haven't broken yet and believe me I've taken a few endos in my day where you just ram the bar ends into a rock or something. And another thing, they're incredibly comfortable and practically forms to your hands. These Babies get 5 flamin' peppers!!!