Singletrack Solutions ST-Lite Bar End

ST-Lite

Singletrack Solutions ST-Lites barends version 2 feature an injection-molded resinThat is both light and comfortable. Unit of Sale: Pair Weight: 62 g Material: Plastic/Injection molded resin

dickyelsdon   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2011]
Strength:

This product just fits me like no other bar end, even the much hyped cane creek. The central position of the bar mount means you are not stretched out an further so if you have a good position for your bars it give you a good position on the bar-ends. They also allow you to wrap your fingers round unlike the integrated ergon bar ends.

I use these with Ergon GX-1 grips and this is where the best strenght lies. The setup allows you to grip your hand/fingers on the bar-end but still rest the heel of your palm on the flat part of the ergon grip, meaning to grab the brakes just requires a twist of the wrist without even talking the heel off the grip! a more superior position i have yet to find. Ive done a LOT of miles like this including 7 day endurance race, 100mile race and many many days out in trail centres, never once have i come across any problems.

Metal screw in plastic, if your ham fisted you'll strip it. Careful setup required. Also being plastic they could break, but again if you get the tightness just right they will just get knocked out of the way rather than break.

This product just works for me, it might not for some but they are not exactly expensive and bar-ends like grips are very much a personal preference.

Similar Products Used: Cane-creek, some cheap copy off eBay, Ergon integrated.
jadedbee   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2011]
Strength:

light, cheap, look mean

not soft/ergo enough for extended palm pressure (like on the flats), can twist under power, wish they could double as a lock on grip clamp

I cannot agree with the other reviewers - these are the most durable bar ends I've owned. Even if they had broken in the myriad crashed I've had, I wouldn't mind because they are so inexpensive to replace compared to others. My other, more comfortable bar ends would get bent and the rubber would get chewed up and tear. These have not cracked and just get scuffed (I take sand paper to them to get the scratches out).
They can twist under power, but this is less likely as your fingers are wrapped around both ends, distributing more even force instead of just a lever extending off the front. Also, having them give in a crash can save them or your bars from breaking (same idea as not tightening your brake levers too tight). My other bar ends would pinch and damage my aluminum bars; I don't have to worry with these. In fact, I've learned to just hold on and slide on the hard plastic if I lay the bike down - they protect my bars, my fingers and arm, and are less likely to catch and throw me OTB.
I just use them for leverage to pull against during short bursts; they will beat up your palm if you rest your weight on them.
One other gripe not specific to this model but lesser bar ends in general - you lose some useful handle bar width, especially if these are installed with lock-on grips. I wish they could double as the end clamp like some of the higher end systems.

Similar Products Used: old school Onzas, some aluminum bar ends wrapped in rubber that were roughly the same shape
Hans Fetish   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2010]
Strength:

-low profile...there when you need it torque bangers and works well with the risers
- 63g what!
- pricepoint got'em ~$13

could use a metal nut molded on receiving end of the instead of relying on plastic to hold the hardware thread. i realized this when i first installed them and did crank em. this sometimes results in slip on the handle bar and you have to readjust....this doesn't happen often and has never been so bad that i have to stop the ride.

Initially when i switched to risers, i didn't find a need for bar ends but that changed when i started single speeding.

I am an aggressive XC rider whom has taken my far share of rides over the bars over the last 3+ years i have used these. i have had any really problems . i can't comment on the customer service.

I can say that with pricepoints price, this is a $13 63g advantage you are adding to your rig which, for me, has been well worth it...i have just order a second set.

Similar Products Used: onza, some others, scott at3 ...those were some bars.
Brad Fisk   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2009]
Strength:

Extremely poor

Very weak

Would not recomend it too anyone,junk

Sasso   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2009]
Strength:

Price/Ease of Install

Feel/Comfort

In spite of the ease of install and the price, I wouldn't recommend these bar ends. When you ride using the bar ends it feels like you are torquing holding two rocks in your hands. I rode two times with them installed, pulled them off and threw them away. I went down and bought the Cane Creek Ergo ends the next day...so much for saving a few dollars. I wrote the company to tell them what I thought...the wrote back and asked for more specific comments and I never heard back from them. So much for small town customer service. The Cane Creek product is twice the price but they rock. Go look at the comments for that one before you buy. MTBR.com is the bomb.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek Ergo
runbuddha   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2009]
Strength:

Light does the job

It broke when bike fell over on hard pavement.

I would have to say for the price and customer service you can't beat this. Yes mine broke. But I sent an email to the guys at single track and within 24hours had a response to send the broken part to them and they will get me one sent back. Other reviewers have commented on how they had no way to contact the company well let me help. ripnsingletrack@hotmail.com Wasn't that hard to find just had to look at the website so with that said go buy one and don't worry about durability.

chris   Weekend Warrior [Apr 15, 2009]
Strength:

Cool Design, works great when not broken

Broken, don't lay your bike over (impossible if you actually ride it)

Second set, both broke when the bike fell over. Can't reach company for warranty "guarantee". Would not recommend.

Fleas   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2009]
Strength:

This is for the ST-Pro (the supposedly beefed-up version).

I like black.

It broke - ON THE TRAINER!!

These are not very good.

There is not enough thread engagement on the fasteners (a steel fastener in plastic needs about 2 diameters to avoid stripping the plastic thread out), so I carefully tightened them maybe 1/2 turn after the bolt began to tighten and left them like that.
The right side bar end cracked when I leaned on it (which is a different problem altogether, huh?).
Considering all of the problems they've had with the previous ones I figured they would have worked out the bugs by now. Nope.

And honestly, the surface area that is against your hand is fairly small (not quite "a handful") so they are not really comfortable.

-F

Similar Products Used: None.
ntj   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2008]
Strength:

Comfy

Broke after 2 days when the bike was dropped on the ground

I should have read these reviews first. Why bother making these stinkers? They are supposed to be very tough, but they break very easily and you can't contact the company. They were just on my commuter, you are asking for trouble if you want to use them on 'singletrack'.

ClimberStephen   Racer [Jul 07, 2008]
Strength:

They are small and light weight. There is a ÈProÈ version now that are a bit more beefy and are way more ergonomic. Iève used them both now.

The plastic is total junk. I read through the earlier reviews and totally agree with most. I owned my Pro versions (you know, the more beefy ones) for only a month and one went flying after my first wreck! Also, I couldn't get them not to rotate on my bars, no matter what I did. I even went as far to roughen up the end of my bars with a Dremal in hopes to add more friction. No luck.

Never buy these! They WILL break in you within 6 months. A total waste of money. And, as everyone else has said, no way to contact the manufacturer. I've owned two sets now, and have had two of them break. I won't be buying more.

Similar Products Used: I hate having bull horns off my handle bars, which is why I went for the smaller size of these guys.