LP Composites Barends Bar End

LP Carbon Fiber Barends

Gerr   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2007]
Strength:

Review is for LP Composite Anatomic "Grips"
Anatomic design is wonderful. Light and strong. Also, durable going on 3 years no problems. Great company also.

I had to really try for this weakness: I wish the had a second clamp for angular pivot.

This review is an update to a 2004 review. I now have them on three different bikes. When set up correctly; (turned way down, instead of sharply angled up) these are the closest thing to having a hand molded ortho bar end. (Which would be similar to foot molded orthodics for running shoes) A great product that makes every ride more comfortable and stress free on my hands and wrists.(Helping to prevent hand vibration syndrome and carpal tunnel syndrome.) Helps eliminate numbness. Also try with the Ergon racing grips for a complete ergo solution to protect your digits.

Similar Products Used: 20 years of various bar ends.
Steve-n-sweden   cross-country rider [Sep 18, 1998]

Well i've had the Normal/Average size ends with kevlar for about a year now. I've had no problem with the instalation of these or bar end crimping. Although I run a normal weight bar (like 220 or so). Got them from Aardvark, a bit pricy but was wanting some quality and something ergonomic. I don't crash often but when I do these ends have gotten a few scratches but are none the worse for the wear. I rub them a bit and with the one deep gouge I've gotten I use the trick that celly suggested below and what do you know..?? it works No problem :-) .. I use them on seated climbs and when I want to change hand positions if the trail is not too difficult (wrist problem). They have a wonderful ergonomic shape. They fit your hands like bar ends should !! And because the surface is epoxy and the base is carbon fiber they are rather temperature insensitive. They don't hold the cold or heat like metal bar ends do and are wonderful to use even when it's -30oC out !!! Feel free to lick your frozen LPs with your tongue, I wouldent try that on any other part of my bike (other than grips) that's for shure !!!So overall, a extremely comfterable, durable (for non-crashers), and temperature insensitive (important for me). These are NOT chi-chi because they look awesome AND do a great job !!! I'll definately be getting a new pair for my new bike. {oh, don't forget to fill the heads of the alan bolts with wax so they don't get ripped off !!! }

Peter Ryckaert   weekend warrior [Sep 17, 1998]

I love the LP Braids. These look cool and are light weight. They also fit my hand very well. Have a pair on the single and tandem MTBs. These used to be too expensive, but during Sept. '98 PBS has these for $49.95. Much better pricing, so five chilis for the lower price.

Oz   cross-country rider [Jul 21, 1997]

These are really comfortable bar-ends. They look pretty cool, but I'm not sure how they'd survive a crash. I'll find out sooner or later. They're pretty light, but who really cares ? They are overpriced, but most bike stuff is.

Curtis Durham   weekend warrior [May 24, 1998]

These Bar-ends are smooth looking for sure. And they are very light, however, a simple crash at the right angles will snap them off easily. The carbon fiber bar-ends are glued to the metal attachments which are stronger than the carbon weaves at the base. The result was the carbon fiber part of the bar-end just yielded and popped off of the metal part.
I admit, I got these because they looked cool. But shelling out 60 bucks for something that breaks this easily was a mistake. I read the review about the guy who got his replaced for free, but it appears they aren't doing that anymore. I emailed LP and they wanted to charge me 40 bucks for replacing ONE bar-end! What a rip. For 20 bucks more you can get a brand new PAIR. I feel that had my bar-ends been aluminum, they would still be useable. I had a pair of codas before and wrecked with them a few times. They got slightly bent out of shape but they were still usable. The LP's are trash now.
One Star for looks. One Star for weight.

Arch   weekend warrior [Nov 04, 1997]

Well crap! How's that for a jinx?! The very next day - I roll over from a standstill and the bar end snaps off of the bar. What gives. Needless to say - disappointed. $60 and the thing breaks in half. I guess that's what I get for falling over like an idiot.

Pal   Cross Country Rider [Nov 30, 2000]
Strength:

Cool and ergonomic.

None.

These bar ends are made to fit the human hand, which means easier gripping. If you buy them you will not regret - no questions. I got mine for 49.00 at CBO. Furthermore they look cool but performance is more important.

Similar Products Used: Coda, Profile, Titec.
Graham   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2000]
Strength:

Strong, look great, good clamp, great ergonomic shape.

None.

Since I bought the Team LP's over a year ago, they haven't had a single fault. Despite bumping into trees on narrow singletrack, a negligent bus driver scraping them on a metal door, and one or two endos, they remain structurally sound (with a few scratches though). I expected them to break when i crashed or bumped a tree with them, something that happened to a pair of Control Tech's I used to have. The clamp on the LP's is quite strong, and can be tightened as much as I want, even with my slick and slightly-too-small Thermo bar.
Additionally, their shape feels great in my hands, and they don't freeze your fingers like metal bar ends. They're well worth the 20 bucks extra over CWA's or any other aluminum bar end.