Bike Tight Stubs Bar End

Bike Tight Stubs Bar End

Bike Tight Stubs

[May 26, 2001]
David V

Strength:

Weight

Low Strength Aluminium. Poor Quality Anodized finish (might just be the Al is so cheap)

Gotta say the design is very cool. I do wish the red color had more red in it. Not quite there, darker than pink, almost a salmon color.

The Bad: The aluminium is of low quality. I can see how a crash can kill them; flakes of metal have separated from the edges in a few spots. Still red underneath. The metal was probably bad before they were sent out to be anno'ed. Wierd. I've used other ends, and have even bent my bar where the bar end bolts on. I'd much rather trash the ends and have the bar in good shape.

To make them last, I just don't crash. Well OK, I've crashed, and pretty badly a few times (a few compressed vertabrae, a new helmet and a new tube last time), but the ends have not felt any damage in the last two years.

contrary to popular belief...read some earlier reviews...we're not posers. A poser would be riding some flashy Cannondale or Trek Y POS, showing off their cash and gagets. We just want light bits for the bike. I like light! (If my bike is light, then I can eat more spaghetti, right?)

If you don't want to scratch it, leave it at home!

Others...

[Aug 18, 2000]
yoyo man-children

Strength:

eye candy-ish, sort of. fairly durable.

a pretender; short on most points relative
to what else is on the market

capable and durable model, competitively
light, grips well, nothing in the looks
department though. second to the stubbs
in every conceivable respect.

the stubbs' open design kills the competition;
saves mucho weight, creates a grip loop you
can hook your fingers tight in and around.
simply unrivaled. must have. mere 65 gms !

stubbs bar ends - the best, no competition.

[Mar 10, 2000]
Ride It!!

Strength:

Light, small

not very durable

Was impressed with them at first, because they were compact and didn't get in my way. But then I slammed them into some rocks, they bent very easily. When they get scratched the metal gets really sharp, so you either have to shave them down or wrap tape around them. Because they have the big gap, it's easy to get them stuck in a tree branch that you might pass by to closely. Luckily, I bought my fiancee the same pair for her bike(but she doesn't really use them) and I've been switching my bad ones for hers. If anybody has some suggestions on light durable and small barends, I'd love to hear from you. Eventually, I'm going to run out of my backups.

If you're looking for something that will last you at least a year and you ride hard, don't buy these. If you ride occasionally, don't ride hard and like to look cool then these are you.

ciao.

[Dec 14, 1999]
Speed Racer
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light
great in wet conditions

none so far

Have wrecked numerous (30+ times?)times in rocks and mud with no damage and I weigh 200lbs. You need gloves to use them but terrain here is so rocky it would be nuts not to. The notch is great in wet conditions or when your hands are sweaty. Plus you always can grab them in the same position every time with the notch. Five Chilis from me.

Scotts,etc

[May 27, 1999]
Kent

Strength:

Lite weight
Unique design

Larger riders will probably have problems with gripping. These are
very small barends

I generally wouldn't recommend these barends for xc racing or extremely serious off-road use. They are very small and with a gloss finish can be very slick to grip. In addtion, because they are open barends, sticks and other hazards could get caught causing a safety hazard. With the above said, I have found the quality and performance to be outstanding. I have fairly small hands and as such these barends work well for me.

Based on the type of riding I do (a lot of spinning) they get 5 stars from me.

Too many to list (most available)

[May 24, 1999]
Rob Hartsock

Strength:

Return policy from Bike Tight is very liberal.

These still suck ass. I wanted to make an addendum though. I talked to a rep from Bike Tight, and they gave me a new bar-end no questions asked. They didn't even want the old one in return. They just express mailed a new one right to me. I gues that you would say that was a good thing, and it is in a way. But then I got to thinking and I had a thought about it. I think that if the company doesn't even want the old bar-end in return, they basically know the product sucks, and they have no intention of fixing the problem and improving the quality of it. As far as I am concerned, the company has a done a good job of maintaining good will with the public in that they have a generous return policy... but they have a deficient product.

I still think that the bar end is deficient, that it is not race worthy. I still think that the bar end is best suited to saturday afternoon sidewalk skimmers who like to look nifty with all that chi-chi stuff hanging off the bike.

Bontrager race lite

[Feb 01, 1999]
Cam
cross-country rider

I bought these used, then bent them 2 days later. I was mad! So I emailed bike tight, and they never replied for 4 months. But when they did, they said they would be happy to send me a new pair, and some extras at no charge! Then I was happy....=o)
They look great, are the lightest available, good price, feel nice, and have a good customer service team to back them up!
Buy some stubs!
Cam

[Jan 03, 1999]
Mike Miller
weekend warrior

I was a little worried about bending these things after reading the reviews. Rode on them last weekend and crashed into a hill and turned one into my plow. Needless to say it was burried into the hill side. Fearinf the worst I pulled out the bars and found it just fine condition. Tougher than I thought. 4 chilli's for now....

[Nov 02, 1998]
Dylan
racer

I really liked these until this weekend while racing I took a minor spill and the right got a 90 degree bend in it where it was supposed to be straight. Before this they we're awsome. I like how they're real small but still feel good in you're hands. Was 5 chilli's until they broke. Now they get 1!

[Oct 19, 1998]
Marvin McGraw
cross-country rider

Let's see....bought them around a year ago from Bike World. Looked great on the bike, that is, until I endo'ed six months later and bent the right one. Really wasn't that bad of a spill. The weak spot on this bar is the notch at the bottom, it bends real easy. Otherwise, they look cool, and feel great...too bad they don't last. Exchanged them for a pair of Scott's....now there's a good bar..