TekTro IO and IOx Disc Brake System

Versions:

• IO
  • IOx

System

• Cable actuated mechanical disc brake

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 20, 2014]
    Dmitri
    Downhiller

Strength:

Cheap! Good only for streets.

Awful for the mountain trails like downhill.

The brakes can be suddenly weak. I could not control them. So i afraid to trust on seriously mountain trails! So I updated them for better carbon brakes.

[Oct 05, 2013]
    vk45de

Strength:

Relatively powerful, came oem (or is that a weakness?)

Caliper runs out of stroke
    Adjust the inboard pad out too much and it comes out
    Pad adjustment will move when you ride so your sudden have weaker brakes (you'll still have power, just less of it)
    Short pad life
    Single side push causes rotor warp

Gets the job done - if only for now...

For something that eats pads this fast and is this finicky to use, I'd prefer Vs - and I'm not a disc brake noob - I've rebuilt calipers, forks, wheels, hubs, master cylinders so believe me when I tell you this is junk.

Hayes Hfx comp, Grimeca system 11, Avid bb5 (weak), Hayes Stroker Ace

[Feb 26, 2013]
    tunaphis

Strength:

Hassle free far as i can see.Stops my 2010 hardrock single speed running maxxis slicks real well.swapped the cable outers to ss braid mainly for looks.Am replacing rotors with 203(front) from Baradine $35AU.

Yeah they squeal so take out the pads and on a flat surface with medium sand paper deglaze them,no more noise.

Came on the bike and I don't see any reason to change.Bleeding brakes suck!

[Nov 06, 2012]
    Hill Storm

Strength:

Quite a Good sopping power and consistant,reliable,high rate of de-accel.with short but smooth greadient,,just to the point power, easy to set up, perform good when beded-in and proper lever/cable system n well adjusted. am doing DJ/skill practiece as a flatlander guy most of the time and occasionally AM with my cheap n heavy FS rig. I can say Very good for that price bracket.Now I order another one for rear too, will get a 180 rotor next to top up the boost.great deal.....dont wry, its good then what you paying.

Stock pad wear a bit faster than expected, pad size is not wide like top notch Mech disc,some fed when hot(160-rotor) as i Doing dj etc skill learning so heavy breaking for shrt duration but more n more time so they get hot some time,hearing some dody using Metallic pads and they solve these issue of wear n 180 rotor will fix them all...

Yee, I got my first one from a local Shop as I bought a Fork and so needed to switch postmount from IS so they give it as a replacement and in dam cheap price, in first few Ride I find it crap then during a rainy ride it beded in n just suddenly it took its own power, just blowing as a mech disc,
    I didnt comparing with Hydros but same time its cheap too, so at that price pracket I will tell just cool buy, over Avid BB5 etc middle range Mech Disc.

[Oct 13, 2012]
    bryang
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Low maintenance, easy setup, good modulation (depending on lever and cable used), decent power overall. No "disc block" needed if transporting with the front wheel removed. Compatible with mid-range Shimano shift/brake lever combo's.

Some squeak and some fade on long descents.

Simply put, these brakes are exactly as good as the "mechanic" setting them up. They don't have quite the max power as a topline hydro system, but they're not the same price, either. What the DO well is beat V brakes at virtually the same price. I've had the SAME set for over three years now, on three different rigs. If you use a good lever and cable, and make sure to use proper ferrules, etc, then you're golden.

Magura disc and rim versions, Avid Juicy, Hayes, all varieties of rim brakes over the past 30 years.

[Sep 17, 2012]
    Miguelgcone
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

cheap sets of brakes but very strong, decent stopping power and easy to adjust.

they squeal a lot and it's really annoying, but I don't care as long as they stop me when I ask them to.
    I've read all the comments about these brakes and I'm 100% sure most of the problems mentioned are a result of improper installation or adjustment

they work just fine of course if they are adjusted properly, I found this thread online(http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/adjusting-$%25-tektro-io-brakes-527077.html)
    I follow the steps described and now I have them on my bike with no problem at all except the squeal problem which I haven't found a way to stop them doing that.

hope you guys understand what I meant to say as English is not my first language!

[Jul 21, 2012]
    Alejandro

Strength:

They work maybe not like a $150 set of disc brakes but they work, easy to adjust and set up.

Front brake has no stopping power and doesn't lock and must be adjusted 3/5 times you go for a ride.

The brakes came with the bike and at first i think they worked perfectly, once i went for a muddy ride the brakes haven't work and have to be adjusted 3/5 times i go for a ride. In steep hills the rear brake might work quite excellent but once again the front won't work, the brakes are good headache makers.
    Pros: Came with the bike, brakes do work, so far that's all i need.
    Cons: adjustments are a must, stopping power is a 5/10.
    Don't expect them to work as if they are a $150 set of brakes.

[Jun 21, 2012]
    Cris

Strength:

Very strong when properly adjusted, easily adjusted with a few allen wrenches and basic know how of how they operate, and 5 minutes of time, I feel confident they will stop me when I ask them to

Terrible fade when going down a steep hill at high speed (33lm bike + 220lb rider, so understandable),

Came OEM on my 2011 Jamis Komodo. For Dirt Jumping and weekend trails, I'd say they fit the bill perfectly. No need to spend $1000 on a set of Avid Code Rs unless you really need them.

[Jun 18, 2012]
    DanZo337
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Good stopping power (35lb bike + 175lb rider), inexpensive, easy to setup.

Lack of adjustments, requires proper tuning to work well, can get squeaky

Like others, I got these brakes along with my stock bike. I'm not sure what all the raving and ranting is about it not being able to stop their bikes but I find these brakes work just fine; Despite the minimal design effort.

Of course, they aren't the greatest brakes on the market, but you get what you pay for. Similar to anything else that's on the recreational level, they require more labour when tuning. There is a reason why these department stores usually offer brake + gear tuning for the first year you get your bike, they know these things need to be adjusted ever so often "manually."

Don't expect to slap these on and expect 100% performance out of them without tuning them properly, which just means seating the caliper in the right place and applying the right amount of tension on the brake cables. Keep an eye on rotor flex and make sure your pads are close to being true with the rotor when being squeezed.

[Apr 26, 2012]
    Ihitatree

Strength:

Consistent, strong, already on the bike. Not grabby, but not weak.

No adjuster knob (needs Allen wrench)

While this is my first mountain bike, I've got plenty of experience with racing hare scrambles on my 250 KTM. I know what brakes should feel like.

Got these stock on my bike. I rode them a few times stock, and they worked really well... But...

I ride single track and I'm compulsive about setup, so After an all afternoon single track run, I decided to see just what I could make them do. I paired the front with metal pads and a 180mm Ashima rotor, and left the back stock (180mm tektro rotor is on the way, but it already locks up if I put a little on them).

Added a set of Avid Speed Dial levers for good measure. Total cost $15 rotor, $20 levers, $15 pads.

Ran them on a technical ride with many long downhill runs. Never even thought about them. No fade. Didn't adjust them once, not even the levers I'm confident I can continue going on 4 hour rides and have them perform this way.

I'd say that spending 5 min tuning brakes BEFORE you ride should be standard. In that case, I see no reason to upgrade until I decide to go hydro. I probably won't even do that in the near future.

Seriously, put a few minutes getting these dialed in before just buying cheap hydros. I'll buy hydros one day, but not until I want/need a high end set.

V brakes, hydraulic dirtbike brakes.