Shimano Zee BR-M640 Disc Brake System

Shimano Zee BR-M640 Disc Brake System

The new Zee hydraulic disc brake system includes shorty style levers and a powerfull...

[Aug 11, 2016]
goyo46
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Power, modulation

none so far

Been riding bb7's since 2009, took awhile to get them dialed in but eventually got them working really well with 180/203 rotors and scintered pads. SD levers set to max leverage. I'm #210 and need good brakes for my local ride, a steep rocky ridge with tons of switchbacks and constant braking for 1500 ft. My arms would get worked by the bottom, and the rotors would start whining a little. Plus, a new frame on order had me looking for upgrades. I also do a little bikepacking and adding weight to the bike only calls for more brake when you need it.
Figured I'd try hydros. Was looking at XT's, slx, guides, you name it. Ebay, take offs, etc. Impressed with the reviews for the Zee brakes. Found a set from an online shop in Germany, $160 plus 20 shipping, deal! Got to my door in San Diego in one week! That's pretty fast.
Only one real ride so far but the difference is awesome. Quiet and powerful, and the levers feel far better than the skinny speed dials. Better modulation too. That long downhill ridge just got a little easier.
I also dropped a couple ounces over the bb7 setup (levers, cables/hoses, and calipers) and I can run smaller rotors for even more weight savings. I expected the opposite, never realised how heavy the cable brakes were.
Couldn't be happier with the switch; now patiently waiting for my new frame!

[Jul 24, 2015]
LoeBreez
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Huge power, great modulation

Cotter pins hold pads in but can be upgraded with bolt kit online for under $10

Realized how lame my old brakes were after riding a demo bike this past June.
Decided I was going for the upgrade but wasn't sure if it was going to be XT's or these. Glad I decided to spend just a bit more money. These are same as Saint's but without reach adjuster or bolts for pads. Get bolt kit for XT brakes for upgrade.
These brakes are Very powerful but the beauty is that they're very controllable. I can actually run long downhills now without my arms and fingers screaming for mercy. They're the first brakes I've had that are always just one finger no matter how steep. Was upgrading from a set of Formula RX's. These were great when new but always thought they were borderline for long descents unless I put much bigger rotors on. So far I'm loving these brakes, easy to install and set up. I trimmed lines to fit and didn't even have to bleed them.Once bedded in they were awesome but even before that power was already as good as old brakes. We'll see over time how these fare but all other online reviews are impressive.

Hayes Mag's, Formula RX's, Avid Elixer's, Avid BB5's

[Aug 14, 2013]
Mojo Meth

Strength:

Endless power, huge range of modulation, very controllable, shorty lever

Weight, however this is a DH spec brake. Pad pin could be improved.

Wow wow wow, the power from these brakes is immense. But more importantly the power is so usable. They have improved my riding as I can brake later, and have the assurance that I will be able to stop when I want. These brakes have the same mechanics as the saints. They have a tool required reach adjust, which is fine as its set and forget. The shorty leaver suit my preference. I like the lever quite close to the bars, on longer levers they would contact my other fingers. But this one is perfect, even with my long SS Excel grips.

I bled the brakes from new so can't comment on the stock bleed. But bleeding was really straight forward with an epic bleed solutions kit.

This brake is installed on my Ibis Mojo HD, and some may find it too heavy for an AM setup, however I like to ride fast and the performance benefits far out way the 150-200 gram penalty.

Overall I have been very impressed with the Zee range and have been equally impressed with the Zee derailluer.

[Jun 26, 2013]
Alan
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great stopping power, Smooth break lever, adjustable

Doesn't have the on the fly adjuster like the Saints.

I am a big guy (250lbs) that loves downhill. I had Hayes 9's on before and I just could not get the stopping power I was looking for. Once I put a set of these bad boys on stopping was not an issue. Once dialed in to the right feel I liked on my break levers there was no more white knuckled descents. They stop me when I want to stop or slow. The 4 piston action with a 180mm rotor in the rear and a 203mm up front there is nothing this thing can't stop

Hayes 9

[Jun 20, 2013]
eric thomas
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

good stopping power.

issue with the rear brake leaking fluid from master cylinder.

I have shim xt's on my am bike which are awesome, so I stepped up little bit to the zee's for a little extra for my fr/dh bike. I have had an issue with the rear brake fading so I bleed the brakes then noticed fluid leaking from master cylinder. took the master apart and found the top cap that says ZEE on it didn't seat properly, I added a thin washer and seemed to fix the problem for now. looking at the construction between the saint and zee's I would recommend stepping up a little more to the saints, or just go with xt's.

avid juicy, code. shimano xt