Shimano XTR M975 Disc Brake System

Shimano XTR M975 Disc Brake System

Shimano XTR BR-M975P Hydraulic Disc Front Brake Set &Shimano XTR BR-M975 Hydraulic Disc Rear Brake Set Super lightweight, single forged, mono-block caliper with an opposedTwin piston design maximizes weight savings, stiffness and rigidity - everything you need for powerful braking New brake pad uses aTitanium back plateTo improve rigidity and reduce weight Updated rotor design increases rigidityTo extend pad life (rotor not included)

[Sep 20, 2012]
jonshonda

Strength:

Awesome stopping power and modulation. Look great, beefy construction.

Set it and forget it!! That is what the lbs told me when selling me these brakes on closeout ( last years model), and they were right. I needed something to replace my Marta SL's cuz they weren't cutting it.

I had the lbs install them last year and they haven't had a single hiccup, not even in the wisconsin winter. Great stopping power, modulation, and no noise. Thanks Shimano.

[Oct 18, 2011]
magixuser

Strength:

Mineral oil, easy to bleed, light, stopping power when you need it.

Spongy feel on the levers, Difficult to center the caliper and disk due to shim method, Expensive, no rebuild kit.

Bought my xtr gruppo last 2007, several change of frames later still using the XTR gruppo and part of the gruppo is the shimano 975 DCL brakes/shifter combo. 4 years later the gruppo is still working strong, reason for the longetivity of my parts are due to constant cleaning and maintenance. I clean my bike after every ride so that every mud and dirt that are accumulated on those nooks and crannies are cleaned off. I have not once experienced any problem with my brakes caliper being stuck. I bleed my brakes every 6 months and during the bleeding , I make sure I lubricate the caliper pistons. I put a 180mm up front and 160 rear rotors and the brakes gives lots of stopping power. Initial setup is a bit Difficult due to the shim alignment but once the calipers are aligned then it's trouble free all the way.

Shimano Xt, Formula oro K24, Formula oro Bianco, xtr 965 dcl

[Jun 28, 2011]
egebhardt

Strength:

Look Cool. Feel Cool.

The master cylinders weep Mineral oil.
The pistons do not center well.

I bot a set of XTR 975s I got cheep on CL. Turns out I know why they were cheap. They weep oil out the lever plunger. Then the pistons don't center. So 1 pad always rubs. I sent them in to Shimano in Irvine, CA. They sent me another new set because they can't be rebuilt or serviced. Re-Bleeding these brakes doesn't help.

Juicy Ultimates. XTR 965. Hope RaceX2. Juicy Carbon.

[Apr 28, 2011]
Tabasco

Strength:

When it worked it worked well.

Required alot of maintenance, cost a fair amout of $$ to maintain every year there was some sort of brake related expense. The biggest weakness is that the seal broke last summer and there is no rebuild kit!! And apparently from reading other reviews this is fairly common and is really frustrating that Shimano is aware that there is a global issue with one of their (high end) products and does not offer a rebuild kit. Not sure if I will ever buy Shimano again because of this reason and my current bike is completely set up with XTR down to the wheelset. Lost a very loyal customer over a stupid rebuild kit.

Brake worked well when working, a little spendy to maintain and required more maintenance by far than any other brakes I have owned, last straw was the seal busting and no rebuild kit so what should be a $40 fix will now cost me a whole new caliper or brake set. Why would I want to spend $150 on a new caliper for a system that could brake again and then cost another $150 to replace when I could just replace the whole system and if there is an issue get a rebuild kit?? Silly question eh? How's that working out for you Shimano?

[Apr 02, 2011]
Bruce M

Strength:

Great modulation, Incredible stopping power, NO noise, 30 second pad replacement

None so far

The M975 XTR Disk Brakes work great in central florida. Maybe I got lucky, and have not had any of the problems seen by other reviewers... I hose my bikes down after any muddy rides, but I am by no means 'picky' or 'anal' about maintaining my bikes.. The XTR Brakes work perfect and I have had absolutely zero problems with them. One note.. They work so well I hardly use my front brake anymore.. I always used XTR rim brakes and had to white knuckle both brakes on enry to hard corners.. now I use the front brake maybe one or two times in a 30 minute time trial.

First Disk Brakes

[Jun 19, 2010]
jrahm

Strength:

Look good, work well if they are working.

Unreliable, expensive both to purchase and maintain, PITA.

XTR's cost me $350 in repairs over 4 years, lots of down time, tweaking, and maintenance, and the seemingly ever-present scream of leak saturated pads. Have the BB7s on a Redline Mono9, never ANY problems, stop like crazy, easy to adjust. BB7's are going on the Titus tomorrow, I could not be happier. I am a big fan of simple and reliable. BTW, weights are nearly identical. I will never own another set of hydraulic brakes, period.

Avid BB7

[May 19, 2010]
ep-gnar

Strength:

look nice
good feel
lightweight
decent performance

disposable since no parts are available

bought these from some mtbr a-hole that must have noticed a small leak in the front master cylinder. they leaked slowly at first but got worse. no big deal right? just get a rebuild kit, right? sorry, shimano doesn't sell rebuild kits for these. called their warranty people and they said to try returning them through my lbs (and bring a dated proof of purchase), so hopefully that will work out and not cost me too much. I will never buy shimano brakes again because they are unserviceable.

hayes

[Nov 26, 2009]
donoman

Strength:

Good modulation, levers feel good.

Constant squeaking, pads do not return fully, need constant cleaning to maintain smoothness

These brakes suck, man! They feel great when you are on the brakes... UNTIL they overheat and start whining. The worst part is that the pads do not return symmetrically and do not open wide enough, even with proper centering. As such, these brakes consistently rub and cause a lot of audio grief! Tried to modify the return springs for more pad spreading, doesn't seem to work too well. My prognosis: Caliper pistons get mucked up too easily, causing return failure. I know these are dual-sided piston calipers but looking at them from the top I can tell I'm usually just pushing from one side. So then need to clean these suckers out. Quite a shame because the modulation on them is awesome. Will be trying XT-level brakes next. I can't stand the constant maintenance on these f'ing things.

Avid Juicy SL

[Jun 14, 2009]
dru

Strength:

It's XTR. Has a very cool small rear rotor. Very light weight. Awesome looking rotors. Front calipers can be used with the 140mm rear rotor. Power and modulation are quite good. Does not use brake fluid.

A real pain to bleed. Also takes a lot of fussing to get the calipers properly centered on the discs. It uses shims to do this. Took a week of riding to get right. Read up on lubing the pistons, they are too dry from the factory.

A good high end brake. The caliper bolts are drilled for safety wire just like my old race bike (motorcycle)which is cool, although a bit of overkill. Shimano even supplies a bit of wire for the job. Pads are very easy to change but are noisy when used. I suspect that many of the problems people are having are from dry pistons and bad initial set up with the shims. I've had no problems with dragging once I got the calipers properly centered. The brakes are way over priced at retail. I used the net and saved around 300 dollars.

Deore 555 hydros, cantis

[May 20, 2009]
alanchan

Strength:

Ok braking power, soft feel for riders who don't like hard levers.

Lever shape is weird, too small for my hand at least, some people like the feel of this thing but I prefer my Hopes. MSRP is a bit overpriced.

These brakes are way overpriced at MSRP. I have not encounter piston issues as I only test ride these in the dry. The lever is the most annoying thing for me. This old XTR (not dual control) was better. Also, OEM pads are expensive as they have titanium back plate. Who needs that?

Avid BB7, Juicy 7