Shimano SLX BR-M665 Hydraulic Disc Brake System

SLX BR-M665 Hydraulic

The SLX Disc Brake System offers 20% stronger stopping powerThanThe Deore LX BR-M585.The SLX Brake system also features improvedergonomics, direct cable routing, andTool-free reach adjustment and add inTheServo-Wave brake levers providing superb power and feel and you get a quality brake set. Optimized for 20% higher stopping power (than BR-M585) by servo wave Opposed 2-piston system New designed rotor Brake PadTypes: metallic / resin Hydraulic Fluid:Shimano genuine mineral oil Brake HoseType:

Mr. Doom   [May 29, 2014]
Strength:

Look Good

I think I got a bad set.
After the fifth brake bleed and a hose swap + multiple pad/rotor combinations I gave up on them, they just would not bite in the good way, only the bad way. Got the newer 675 version and all is good. Both the front and rear were weak and not as powerful as my BB7's and cheap Tektro hydraulic brakes. (Had a 180mm rotor on the front BTW.)

As a shop mechanic I have worked on many shimano brakes for customers and never had the problems this model of mine had. New version is great.

JP   [Aug 19, 2013]
Strength:

Good stopping power

Long Pull
Sloppier the shorter you adjust the reach
Lever feels cheaply built

I switched from Avid Elixxer 5s. I will be going back very soon.

Trevor   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2013]
Strength:

Stopping power, crisp feel, durable

Haven't found any

These came on my Fuji Outland and I have very impressed with them. They have taken some hard hits that would have damaged some other brands, but my levers and reservoir are intact and working great.

Michael Yarros   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2012]
Strength:

Excellent Braking power.

None so far.

Installed this a few months ago, huge improvement over the bb5 mechanical brakes I was using.

scrap15   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2011]
Strength:

no noise, super quiet, great modulatuin, fantastic stopping power, easy to remove pads, easy to adjust

none so far, except the look, rather bulky, but even that is growing on me

love these brakes! best ive used ever,
i hope they last forever.
id buy them if i were to build a bike from scratch without blinking.

Similar Products Used: avid bb5, bb7, juicy 3 juicy 5 juicy 7
Hangtime   Weekend Warrior [Mar 22, 2011]
Strength:

Initial fit and feel is great. Using them with Avid 185 rotors and they match up well. Break in period was effortless and they have great power, I will switch out to metal pads in the front this summer for even more stopping power. Modulation is better than the Juicy sevens thay are replacing and zero turkey worbble noise.

I grew to like the Avid bar clamp system, Shimano is single bolt slide on. It holds in place well but for on/off ease avid is better.

So far these have been a very good buy. Initial power and feel is excellent. There is a lack of "Avid" noise that I grew to except as normal with the Juicy set up. I'm glad I bought these. I may buy a second pair for down the road at the price they are going for.

Similar Products Used: Avid Juicy seven, Avid Code, Hayes Nine
Vuco   Cross Country Rider [Nov 30, 2010]
Strength:

- Reliable on the trail, never faded on 185mm rotor (had no problems with leaking, riding in low temp. conditions)
- really easy to bleed
- good cheap aftermarket (superstar) pads
- pads retract far from rotor, so no rubbing on the rotor (servowave)
- silent in dry conditions, but on wet resin pads make some noise while breaking
- lever position (not that I've used it a lot, once positioned, didn't change it after - if too close to the bars, the brake will have less power so no use from this)
- great modulation (best I've ever seen on disc brakes)
- easy to change pads (pistons retract easily, not like on Juicy 3 where you need to remove some fluid from the brake)

- average power (I'm 83kg with 185mm rotor)

No other weaknesses really, but I'm little disappointed with the power segment. I've had Juicy 3 on the front that had a little less power than the SLX with the same size rotor - 160mm Shimano. SLX with the 185mm rotor gave some more power, but still nothing like one finger brake-ing on Avid Juicy 7 or Elixir brakes (if working properly) that I have tried. I could do a "stoppie" (getting my rear wheel of the ground while seated)with two fingers on the brakes (185mm rotor) and pulling it hard.

While on my brothers Juicy 7 and my friends Elixir CR I could do a "stoppie" with only one finger and with ease. But Avids have a lot of other problems (vibrating, squealing, factory bleeding is bad etc.).

Maybe I'm having trouble with my rotors ? Cause I have a feeling that the brake is very powerful, yet the friction coefficient between the rotor and the pads is low :(. Tried it with Shimano 160mm rotor (Deore class ?) and Avid G2 185mm with the Avid adapter.

About the pads
----------------------
Original Resin type pads lasted 1300km on the front. Very fast brake-in period (5-6 hard stops) and you have a fully functional brake.

Tried sintered from discobrakes - brake-in period is a lot longer (not knowing that, I've sold them after 60km thinking they are low power, but while removing them to send them to the buyer, I saw that they have braked-in only on the edges, and not in the center - probably needed some 50-60km or one great descent to be fully functional). They could easily be used on the rear where you don't need a lot of power pads since every hidraulic brake/pad can lock the rear wheel (even my Juicy 3 with 160mm rotor can do it =)). And would probably last more than the resin pads ;)

Then got organic from superstar. They are cheaper than the original Shimano pads, have the same power, same fast brake in period but I don't know how long will they hold. I' would be happy if they last 750km in dry conditions, since they are 3x cheaper than the originals.

Overall rating is higher cause you can use a 203mm and have decent power and they are problem free brakes, low maintenance, easy bleed, great modulation.

Similar Products Used: Avid Juicy 3, Juicy 7 (my brothers brakes), Avid Elixirs CR (friends)
Allan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2010]
Strength:

nice look,great stopping power, and less maintenance...best brakes i,ve ever had...my fingers does'nt stiffen when im pulling the levers for long descents because its fluid actuated...my v-brakes do,coz of the cable friction.

best for all types of riding...

Similar Products Used: this is my first hydraulic,been using xt v-brakes,awkward of using hydraulic brakes then coz of weight penalty,but its worth the switch coz you'll love the power of hydraulics...
Damage   Weekend Warrior [Jul 02, 2010]
Strength:

Super Powerful, easy to bleed, Its Shimano so parts are easy to come by, easy to set up, and they LOOK awesome!

Only problem I have had so far is with the rotors. I have the splined versions, and where the rotor is rivited to the body it has a little bit of play in it. I got these replaced under warranty so all good, BUT the new ones have this too after only 2 months use. I'm going to upgrade to the XT rotors and see how they go. But otherwise these brakes are brillant!

These brakes are brillant, apart from the rotors!

Similar Products Used: Avid Juicys/Elixir,Hayes Strokers, Hayes HFX, Shimano Deore, Shimano XT, Magura Marthas, Hope
rhyko   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 2010]
Strength:

Best brakes ive had by far.
very powerfull, no fade halfway down descent, very reliable, im very happy

A little hard to feather in wet conditions, slightly on off due to how powerful they are.
the pads that come with them are rubbish (resin fibres), changed pads to sinterd and wow what an amazing brake!
also the hoses are really long and need to be cut down.

LOve these brakes, seriously good value and so so powerful!

five faming hot mexican chillis with scotch bonnet peppers from me

Similar Products Used: Avid Juicy 3(rubbish) Hayes Stroker (not sure yet on new bike, seem rubbish but probably poor pads)