Shimano BR-M395 Disc Brake System

The Shimano BRM-395 is the most powerful hydraulic disc brake in its class. It rivals the stopping power of almost every other disc brake on the market, arguably even those that are multiple its cost. It is a solid durable system capable of delivering res

hoohoo   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2017]
Strength:

It is a disc brake, so works in worse conditions than a rim brake.

Low power, overheats easily

I received these on an Urban Arrow cargo bike. They are a joke for a cargo bike that is used even on moderate hills (say more than 20 - yes, twenty - meters of height). On totally flat they suffice.I had a scare going down a steeper hill with the breaks going limp. They did manage to stop the bike, but only at the foot of the hill, had it been a longer descent I would had a bad accident. They are unable to lock the tires unless the bike is empty, without load.

Probably good for kids' bikes, I would not want to rely on these if I was an adult rider.

Mark   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2016]
Strength:

Plenty of power, great feel, easy to bleed

None so far

Came stock on my 2014 trek x caliber 8. Never had any issues with them at all just replacing pads and have bled them 2 times now. I'm a big boy at 6'2 and 240lb and they have enough power to slow me down. They're not meant for high speed down hill riding (ie: 45MPH To 5 mph) but they do a great job for xc riding.

Similar Products Used: Avid elixir 5 and avid juicy 7
Pedro   All Mountain Rider [Sep 11, 2015]
Strength:

cheap, light, comfort in hand

no brake! the braking power its worst than a v brake with good pads

i have a 7 years old avid bb7 with a lot of play (needs a expensive internals kit) and the bb7 are much MUCH MUCH better than this shimano, in my opinion :no buy this brake

carl   All Mountain Rider [Apr 16, 2015]
Strength:

Plenty of power , cheap, easy to bleed and maintain

None really

Great brakes for people who don't want to spend a fortune on brakes . There are better brakes but not in this price range .

Osco   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 2014]
Strength:

Plenty of power

Makes a 'Pop' noise when you go deep into the brakes as the pad shifts forward, seems to only happen when your near lock up or bearing down hard and hit a bump.

Plenty of power but much better control/feel when the rotors are kept clean.

Aglo   All Mountain Rider [Apr 03, 2014]
Strength:

baratos e funcionais

pouca força e pouca modulação

Eu tenho estes travões na minha 29er AM com discos de 180mm.
Eles fazem o trabalho deles, não falham nem complicam e mantém um funcionamento constante. Mas a modulação na travagem é quase inexistente, outro problema consiste no fato de ser preciso fazer uma força relativa na maneta para conseguir travar em descidas acentuadas. Mas como estamos a fazer uma força relativa, associado à pouca modulação, facilmente os discos ficam bloqueados.

Steve   [Apr 02, 2014]
Strength:

1) CHEAP.....2) 100% RELIABLE .....3) SIMPLE

NOT enough power at this time for my very fast DH mountain, I hit 45 on sections and have to slow to 5 dozens of times to make sharp corners and there is no way to single finger my corner entries I have to grab with 2 fingers and get sore cramps, that did not happen with my old Trail Strokers ( when they worked lol ) Don't expect miracles , there is a reason they are a lot cheaper than other Shimano's. I will switch out to bigger modern rotors & pads and re-evaluate. Yes buy them if Your new to MTB'ing or low on cash, if not then pass them up and get XTR's....cheers

Mineral oil , no water or heat fade + . Lack of high end brake system real power - You decide

Michael   [Dec 27, 2013]
Strength:

enough power to do lots, cheap, I ride 30 miles a day and race all the time and i had these on my bike for a year intill i got a new bike and they were great i only bled them once before I sold my bike.

not as much power as shimano's other brake design but it s enough

Great brake, better then avid elixer 5"s

mj woodford   [Nov 18, 2013]
Strength:

Cheap , work consistently everytime, great power, look smart too!

None there outstanding!

These came on my scott hardtail, had avid elixir on my other bike which where inconsistent all the time never felt the same day to day but these are all over them! Feel the same everyday, lever stays at the same position and very consistent . Resin pads work great wet or shine , im using the rotors that come with them and they have great power and the pads are lasting very well even though i love using all the power. You can see small marks on the body of the lever where its cast so you can see how they make them this cheap but its not a complaint, they do look good, kind of a stealthy look. If shimanos cheap brakes are this good XT must be amazing will never use another make for brakes again there that good!!

Andrei   All Mountain Rider [Oct 26, 2013]
Strength:

CHEAP! Bought a white set, F&R off ebay brand new for $72 free shipping. Very powerful. Easy setup. Work very nice out of the box with stock pads. No squeaking sounds, silent as can be. Reach adjust feature. Easy access to reservoir. Amazing stopping power with 203mm rotors front and rear but will work with any other size just as well. Perfect affordable upgrade from rim brakes and or mechanical disc brakes. Uses mineral oil, NOT DOT FLUID. Only one finger required to stop on the dot. Not heavy at all. Easy bleeding process if needed. Recommended for all.

Will throw you over the handle bars if you are not careful. Others behind you might not be able to stop as fast and can or will run into you because they have sh#### rim brakes and are too stubborn to admit hydraulic disc brakes are the best.

You want good hydraulic brakes and don't want to spend a fortune? Then the Shimano BR-M395 are the brakes for you. We're talking $72 total for both front and rear sets. These brakes perform super! Never in my life would I spend more than $100 for a set of brakes. I do all types of riding. I rode with mechanical brakes for a while and decided I want to upgrade to hydraulic so I got these. Best choice I've ever made and I'm more than happy with them. The difference is noticeable right away. The performance is everything I'll ever look for. Absolutely NO rim brakes can compare, even hydraulic ones. OVERALL, they are better. I feel I won't even need any "better" brakes than these. They are perfect for any type of riding really. Even DH. I run mine with 2x 203mm rotors. Originally had 160mm rotors and those work just as good. You really don't need any bigger rotor than 160mm unless you are doing DH and or are a heavy rider but either way, they will work the same minus the part where smaller rotors heat up faster. Never had an issue with rotors heating up "too much" or brake fade. Bleeding is done easily on these brakes. Others who had problems with them most likely don't have them setup correctly. Took me about an hour to set them up, including me taking off my old brakes and reconfiguring everything again plus alignment. I love these brakes.